March 28, 2024, 01:21:15 PM

News:

Best Starting Carb for Knuckle??

Started by FlaHeatWave, April 10, 2017, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaHeatWave

April 10, 2017, 03:26:49 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:32:33 PM by FlaHeatWave
A friend is putting a Knuckle together and needs some advice on what is the best starting Carb??

Don't really care about max performance just want easy starting and smooth running...

I mentioned the CV Kehin...

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Please include details of what Carbs /Setup / Jetting/ Manifolds Adapters, etc...you guys have had good experiences with??

Thanks,
Ed

Also any other "tips" "secrets" or "fixes" for the Knuckleheads in general would be greatly appreciated :up: :up:
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

HogMike

Don't know if this helps but, I used a s&s shorty E on my '46.
.0295 / .072main
Used some old manifold (don't remember whose) that went from plumbers fittings to 2 bolt carb.
Spaced out the carb to clear the 3.5 gal tanks with stock looking air cleaner.
Used stock twist grip. Replaced stock throttle wire inner with braided cable to work with carb.
Usually gave it one squirt, key off, one kick, key on, slight crack on the throttle and kick.
Started pretty good on fresh engine.
Should have kept that bike😩
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Brrrap

S&S "E" would be a fine choice for that application.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

ricochet

There may be a few good choices but I had real good luck with a Mikuni roundslide 38mm carb on my EL chop.  Very consistent starting and ran just fine throughout the range.  Originally it came in a kit from Branch Flowmetrics with a rectangular air cleaner but I switched that piece over to an S & S teardrop.   I later switched over to a Keihin 38 with same results.  Was wondering what all the fanfair was about on those.

FWIW,

ricochet

tmwmoose

Ever since the seventies on my Sportsters and Shovels I would remove the electric starts to clean up the looks and always had a SU on them . I used to tell people all I have to do is stare at it and it'll fire right up! Damn reliable carbs

Brrrap

You'd be hard pressed to find me commenting negatively otherwise. One would be reasonably assured, an SU is a fine carb for the application.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

FlaHeatWave

Thanks for the info, Guys :up:

I'll pass it on,,, the project is still "in process" :SM:
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

jimbo304

In my 50-year experience with HD, there is no better carb for any V-Twin than the Keihin CV...that is, IF it's properly jetted & tuned for your application. Note: That's a really BIG "if" so be sure you're tuner/setup guy knows his stuff. Just sayin....
Jimbo

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

iiggii

SP33DY

Quote from: iiggii on May 23, 2020, 11:41:39 AM
linkert with electronic ing.

I agree 100%

An old friend (R.I.P) had that setup on his EL Panhead. It was one of the easiest starting bikes I ever saw.