March 28, 2024, 03:12:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

???????

Started by rider7816, April 12, 2017, 06:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

I guess no news is good news????  This section has been mighty quiet lately. 

I can tell you guys, for those of you that saw my post about my shifting problems, I folded and brought my bike to a shop that deals with the older bikes.  I tore it down and didn't see anything glaring at me.. 

Obviously I have a problem because its jumping out of gear and IF I can find neutral, if will jump back into gear by itself.

Im not a trained HD tech but Im pretty good with my hands and completely rebuilt this bike from top to bottom.  Unfortunately, Im just a little green when it comes to gear boxes. 

Hopefully I will get some sort of news in the next few days.

Frank

Update on my front pie shaped caliper, STILL DRY AS A BONE!  JB weld to the rescue again.

nibroc

...WHAT????? someone posted sumptin---Frank, have a tranny shop install new oem shifter forks if ya can find 'em

rider7816

Quote from: nibroc on April 12, 2017, 06:47:42 AM
...WHAT????? someone posted sumptin---Frank, have a tranny shop install new oem shifter forks if ya can find 'em

I was actually leaning toward the shift forks but while doing a little research on them I found they come in different sizes or lengths???   I don't know enough on how to determine which one I would need.

Ive done engines before so I feel comfortable doing that kinda work but never really messed with any transmissions before.  I would like to learn but since the ironhead has the transmission built into the case, the last thing I need is to mess up the reassembly and have it lock up and blow the engine cases up.

Thanks though!

Frank :idunno:

Burnout

Too much info to put in one post.

Go over to http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And the answers to your questions are already posted.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

rider7816

Quote from: Burnout on April 15, 2017, 04:46:30 PM
Too much info to put in one post.

Go over to http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And the answers to your questions are already posted.

Thanks, but the link you sent just brings me to the forums XL home page not to a specific link.

Frank

nibroc

go down a few and you'll see the tranny thread---kinda lengthy but informative

rider7816

Well, here is some "good news" from my guy that's working on my transmission issue.  Apparently, while reassembling the clutch/primary assembly I "forgot" to install some sort of 1" spacer that goes behind the clutch basket???  I don't see it in the schematic and I didn't have any parts left over from teardown.   Of course that doesn't mean that I didn't lose it, I honestly just don't remember it.

And, just because I forgot this spacer, I now damn near needed a full transmission rebuild.  I ruined the transmission main bearing and who knows countless other internal components. 

:doh: :oops: :emoGroan: :wtf: :banghead:

nibroc

Frank---sometimes ya need to go to a tranny shop

rider7816

Quote from: nibroc on April 20, 2017, 06:06:29 AM
Frank---sometimes ya need to go to a tranny shop

Yea, that's what Im finding out.  I brought the bike to my engine builder but he brought in his transmission guy just to make sure it was done correct since we both thought it was something that he did upon his engine rebuild for me.

It is what it is as this point.  Whats a few hundred more $$$$$ at this point????   Wrench, ride, repeat!!!

Thanks

Frank