May 02, 2024, 11:15:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam sprocket tool

Started by thumpr54, April 19, 2017, 09:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumpr54

Been searching here and found the Heartland tools.......but don't see a cam sprocket locking tool for newer models. I see them on Amazon for $25......anyone know of a home made tool that would work ?....some reviews say tool was too big....2009 FLHR
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Ohio HD

Karl H.

Take an epoxi stick and make your own tool in minutes (can be reused!)  :wink:

[attach=0]

[attach=1]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

98fxstc

Quote from: Karl H. on April 20, 2017, 04:04:55 AM

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

:up:

Hossamania

That's how a friend did it with two part epoxy used by body shops. I had never seen that stuff before, worked great.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thumpr54

cool....thanx for the replies.....makin' yer own with epoxy sounds like a good alternative to try

HD/Wrench

put the bike in gear  hold  rear brake works  I have one of the tools just never need it 35/25 tq wise so its not sure hard to do

borno

motorhogman

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 20, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
put the bike in gear  hold  rear brake works  I have one of the tools just never need it 35/25 tq wise so its not sure hard to do

TY.. I have been watching this and didn't want to sound dumb by asking "why do you need that tool at all".  I did my cams, bearings, shoes last year and read some where to lock things up as you describe..I was wondering if I messed up again...
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

twincam8888

:agree:
That works for me.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Fisherking

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

HaHa , now there is a good Idea :up: :up:

calif phil

That is what I do.  :up:

smoserx1

QuoteTY.. I have been watching this and didn't want to sound dumb by asking "why do you need that tool at all".  I did my cams, bearings, shoes last year and read some where to lock things up as you describe..I was wondering if I messed up again...

Juts one of those things that makes it easier, but you can do just fine without.  About anything you can wedge in between the sprockets that won't damage them will do fine.  And so will putting it in gear and holding the brake.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 21, 2017, 12:31:29 PM
QuoteTY.. I have been watching this and didn't want to sound dumb by asking "why do you need that tool at all".  I did my cams, bearings, shoes last year and read some where to lock things up as you describe..I was wondering if I messed up again...

Juts one of those things that makes it easier, but you can do just fine without.  About anything you can wedge in between the sprockets that won't damage them will do fine.  And so will putting it in gear and holding the brake.

Yes.. and TY and others once again last year for all the help with my first trip into a TC cam chest.. Your pics for cam base circle and timing were of great help.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

harley_cruiser

[attach=0]

[attach=1]
Goodness, I like that a lot, I have two, neither fit, first I was spring, then hybrid, now hydrolic,  every time tried to alter the old one, now all are junk.

thumpr54

:pop:it's what I get for religiously reading the manual and following directions...got it up on lift already so put it in gear and used longish wrenches bumped with the heel of my hand and both bolts loosened easily......just trying to make it too hard......thanx guys....