May 03, 2024, 12:24:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Changing compensator

Started by Chippitt68, April 22, 2017, 08:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

I'm getting ready to change  comp on my 2010 ultra. Bike has 25k on it. Should I change rotor or clearance the inner primary? If I get that far in, I'll do the inner primary bearing. Do I need to have that pressed out and new one in or is there a way it can safely be done without a press?
Almost fell over when I got prices on parts! This is getting pricey

koko3052

If you are just changing the compensater, why do you want to do the rest of that? Are there other problems?

Chippitt68

I haven't started yet and I'm just trying to get a head start in case it's needed.

Hazzardousmat

If your doing the copensator their is no need to do more than that, the outer primary gasket and derby cover gasket. You should also consider replacing the O ring on the drain plug. BUT IF your going to change the bearing, your going to also need all the gaskets and lock rings which is pricy in and of itself. Being money minded myself, I dont fix what isnt broken.
CR570 cams, fullsac mufflers and boyesen intake

koko3052

Be careful & you won't even need those gaskets. :slap:

Chippitt68

I'll know what I'm getting into tomorrow when I get it apart.

FSG

QuoteShould I change rotor or clearance the inner primary?

I'd for sure clearance the inner primary, once done it's done, I'd also inspect the rotor for slippage/wear on the mating surface to the sprocket shaft spacer and the splines.

The old IP Race can be pulled or cut off, the new one can be pressed on with a length of PVC Pipe a few washers and the clutch nut.

Being a 2010 model the mainshaft will have the step which stops the IP Race from walking or being pressed on too far.

The IP Bearing can easily be pressed out and a new one fitted using just something to support the Inner Primary and putting the bearing in the freezer.

Chippitt68

Thanks Fsg. I need to replace the rotor for this upgrade anyway, so I was going to remove inner primary. That would give me a Chance to look at bearing and race when I replaced the seal. The bike has 25k and if those items were suspect, I was going to replace them while I was at it. When i get the comp-clutch  assembly off, I think I'll have a better idea what needs replacing. Just wanted to be prepared to save time if necessary. I'll clearance the inner and go from there. Thanks for your help, it's appreciated as always!
Al

FlaHeatWave

Had the '09 rotor trimmed instead of buying the new one,,, 56k on the original rotor, with around 15k on the trim job, no issues...
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

Chippitt68

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=n2_sQZeMPwE
Here is a video of what I found. Does the mainshaft look ok?
Must have had a little chain slap, small mark on bottom of inner primary.

Chippitt68

I don't have access to machinist. Bought new rotor. They gave me the wrong one.. I clearanced the inner primary, so I was cleaning up. My hand bumped the shift lever......now, my comp was clunking and bike was hard to start. Had a fair amount of fine powder on plug. But, this may have been the noise I've been hearing since just after I put cams in. Inner primary has to come off to fix this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebd1wpduMkE&feature=youtu.be