May 03, 2024, 01:04:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

poor Fuel consumption

Started by saafrican, April 29, 2017, 08:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krwson

That is some good info there

:scoot:

Ken R

I've been experimenting with gas mileage for motorcycles for over a decade.  Have learned a lot.
Wind resistance and road grades are the most influential factor for gas mileage.

37 mpg at 90 to 100 is excellent! 

40 at 70 mph is excellent at sea level and no wind. 

Headwinds and mild elevation grades create the need to twist the throttle  ever-so-slightly  more.  Extreme headwinds need lots more throttle.  I can watch my MPA on the PowerVision and see my MAP go up and down.  Right along with it is the instantaneous fuel mileage. 

To get the 50+ mpg, try riding at 50 MPH with the throttle locked.  (not cruise control, but actually locked in position). You'll go slower (much slower at times) on uphills.  You'll go a little faster on downhills.  But with this practice, you'll get 55 or greater  mpg on windless days.  You might even see 60 mpg if you can stand to ride that way long enough.

My studies have concluded:  The slightest twist of the throttle (for whatever reason)  degrades gas mileage significantly.

If you want to get really good gas mileage, go to Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming.  At 7,000 ft elevation or above, you might see as much as 60+ MPG.  I have.  Less dense air means less  fuel for the right mixture.   Also, there's less aerodynamic drag at high elevations.  (just ask pro baseball player in Denver).  But as soon as I'm back in windy Texas, the gas mileage goes right back down to 35 to 38 mph on the highway. 

Kansas

On my 1800 mile Road Glide S my last tank was exactly 47.5 mpg.  That was twisties through the Flint Hills and interstate home. I wasn't collecting dust or zooming either way. I was pleased with that. 

Paniolo

I suppose pushing a Batwing and tourpack creates more parasitic drag than a clean Dyna, thus using more gas?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Hossamania

Quote from: Paniolo on July 07, 2017, 08:54:10 AM
I suppose pushing a Batwing and tourpack creates more parasitic drag than a clean Dyna, thus using more gas?

That is true.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harleytuner

If mine was getting 50+ MPG i'd park it until I had a chance to figure out what was wrong with it.

PoorUB

I have been logging MPG on my 2016 Limited for a touch over 2700 miles using the Fuel Buddy app. 37.99 MPG. If it helps I am on a trip with Gonenorth with his identical 2016 limited, (except mine has pipes, and a tune), plus another rider with a 2017 Limited. When ever we get gas, say a 5 gallon fill, Gonenorth puts on maybe one tenth less than I do, an the Limited with the M8 puts on maybe two tenths more than me. This has held true over about a thousand miles of riding.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

YPD485

Quote from: Paniolo on July 07, 2017, 08:54:10 AM

Sure does. Even the SG gets better mpg due to the lack of the tour pak.