March 28, 2024, 12:08:49 PM

News:

LED/HID

Started by rider7816, May 07, 2017, 05:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

So, I was riding my 77 Ironhead back from Leesburg the other night and MANNNN it was dark. I dont do a ton of driving at night but I can tell it may be time to upgrade if possible.

Has anyone done a daymaker or other LED option? If so, what was involved?

Harley's headlights are $400, Ive seen them and know they are nice. Personally I would like a lower cost alternative.

Not only would more light benefit me but also on coming traffic would see me better as well I would think.

Frank

harley_cruiser

I have the eBay daymaker and really like it, no comparison to seal beam, or h4. It is very bright. A lot of people don't like that the top part not having any light on the dim, but if adjusted right will light up the night. High beam let's you see way down the road.

rider7816

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on May 07, 2017, 06:25:38 PM
I have the eBay daymaker and really like it, no comparison to seal beam, or h4. It is very bright. A lot of people don't like that the top part not having any light on the dim, but if adjusted right will light up the night. High beam let's you see way down the road.
Cool, Ill have to check it out.  My current 1977 style headlight has less light then a candle I think.

Burnout

I have not done one yet, but it is a great light and way better output than a Halogen.

The best part is it reduces the load on the inadequate Ironhead charging system.

My main concern is that the LEDs have a large heat sink on the back of the bulb.
An Ironhead has 10 octopuses jammed in behind the headlight!

Was that Ebay daylighter difficult to fit in the Ironhead bucket?

I used a 7" light on my FXR SportGlide to get more light than a candle
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

harley_cruiser

Quote from: Burnout on May 09, 2017, 06:40:46 PM
I have not done one yet, but it is a great light and way better output than a Halogen.

The best part is it reduces the load on the inadequate Ironhead charging system.

My main concern is that the LEDs have a large heat sink on the back of the bulb.
An Ironhead has 10 octopuses jammed in behind the headlight!

Was that Ebay daylighter difficult to fit in the Ironhead bucket?

I used a 7" light on my FXR SportGlide to get more light than a candle
I did not install the daymaker in a Ironhead, it went into my Fatboy.
I had a EVO sportster and know what you are talking about in the bucket, not much room with the wires in there. That I can not tell you, the LEDs do have a large bulge on the back. The five inch daymaker runs about fifty bucks, if you buy it and it doesn't fit I will buy it from you and put it in my sons EVO wide glide.

nibroc

been running a 55/100 w bulb in my 59 xlch mag(no batt) for 12 years(same bulb) and it lights up the road on bright and yeah it does dim at idle..... :potstir:

eglideic

May 11, 2017, 05:36:31 AM #6 Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:41:18 AM by eglideic
 Use the 5 3/4" Harley Halogen Bulb 68297-05 (on ebay for about $35.) with a PIAA Xtreme White H-4 Bulb (about $34. on ebay).
This is MUCH brighter than stock.