May 08, 2024, 09:36:54 AM

News:

Wtf Fatboy fork springs and speedo drive?

Started by misfitJason, May 17, 2017, 05:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

I decided to, and built a new Fatboy style front end for my kraftech framed softail.  I had a standard wideglide on it before and picked up some takeoff legs, front wheel, and triple trees all evo model parts. I buy new dampers, fork tubes that are stock Fatboy length, aftermarket replacement springs from eastern performance (from drag) and a seal kit. 

Fast forward and I put the thing together.  The springs I got delivered are the same length as my softail standard springs.  So I think maybe they are just a different spring rate between the two pets numbers. They stuck out about three inches past the top of the tube and were a real bitch to get the tops on.  Now the damned thing has soooo much preload that it is super hard. Wth. I assume the Fatboy springs are shorter, right?  Maybe I just got sent the ring part number

Then I put the wheel on and it is offset about 8 thousandths too far to the primary side and not centered in the center of the forks because of the speedo drive!  Wth is with aftermarket parts not being to spec. I assumed a repop speedo drive would center the damn wheel right up. Nope
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

tmwmoose

If you look up a 99 FXST and a FLST on Ronnie's site they show a 46048-84 for the FXST spring and 45931-86 for the Fatboy spring. IDK Harley using different rate springs seems a little to techy for H-D lol. Also the two models have different length tubes and neither use a spring spacer so I think your Eastern spring is to long. The spring should only pop out the top around 1-1.5" least that's what stock ones did

misfitJason

I ordered replacements for that oem part number for the Fatboy. Maybe I'll try and find a set of takeoff springs or go with some progressives

misfitJason

Well the whole fork springs thing was my fault. Apparently Fatboy fork springs and softail standard fork springs are the same length.  However, I forgot that when I built the front end, I bought one inch under tubes to compensate for the raised height of the 21 inch wheel.  Looks like I am going to get a progressive kit since their springs are shorter and I can take out the distance on the spacer.

I still don't know why the speedo drive doesn't center it

Wicked

Speedo drives for the FX and FL softails are different #'s. Probably a different length.

tmwmoose

Quote from: misfitJason on May 28, 2017, 05:26:56 AM
Well the whole fork springs thing was my fault. Apparently Fatboy fork springs and softail standard fork springs are the same length.  However, I forgot that when I built the front end, I bought one inch under tubes to compensate for the raised height of the 21 inch wheel.  Looks like I am going to get a progressive kit since their springs are shorter and I can take out the distance on the spacer.

I still don't know why the speedo drive doesn't center it

Well I don't know where you are with this but if your still looking for springs I have the Race techs I told ya about the springs are 13" long and the kit has a couple lengths of pvc pipe for setting up preload