March 28, 2024, 04:20:08 AM

News:

Left side oil filter on 73 Ironhead

Started by ricochet, May 24, 2017, 08:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

Quick question for the group please.  Using a remote oil filter mounted on the left side front motor mount.  Want to confirm oil line routing.  Is the dirty oil coming into the filter supposed to come into it on the outermost line (to the ring of holes in the filter)?  So the filtered oil leaves the filter through the center.  Do I have this right?   Curious what's to stop the filter from working either way?  I can't see anything special as far as dampers or valves by looking into the filter itself.

Please confirm if I have this right.

Thanks,

ricochet

Hossamania

If you don't get any response here, post in the General section and you'll get your answer.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JC 92FXRS

Screw-on oil filters always take IN oil through the OUTSIDE and move oil OUT through the INSIDE.
So, yup, you have it correct.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Hossamania

FSG

As Jeff has said, just remember   In on the Out and Out on the In    :SM:

The anti drain back valve (ADV) on a filter would stop it being used backwards, NOTE: not all filters have ADVs, the filter used on the EVOs does not have an ADV and the Oil Pump to Oil Filter plumbing diagram in the Service Manual is incorrect, so after some home workshop repairs IMO there are sure to be a lot of Evos out there unknowingly running the oil filter backwards.  It's not the sort of thing that would be done deliberately. 

ricochet

Thanks guys.  I appreciate your responses and the pic too.  Was cranking the motor over without plugs while messing with the timing of a new ignition and found a puddle under the filter.  Not too surprised as these things do happen and hard telling how tight I had put the filter on since it was so long ago while assembling stuff.  Pulled the filter off and cranked a bit more to find oil spewing from center hole.  So the good news is at least we know the scavenge side of the pump works.  Swapped the lines behind the mounting plate so should be good now.

The diagram shows well what I was thinking but not seeing in the filter.  It looks rather sparse in there but I can see that disk (bleedback preventer) would cause excess pressure and the leaking from the filter gasket.

ricochet

saltcaveminer

Yes, you have it right.Clean oil leaves through the center.Salty

ricochet

So after swapping the lines and cranking more I got oil returning to the tank with no leaks and also see oil coming down the two open pushrod tubes for the front cylinder.  So it seems the feed side of the pump is working as well.

ricochet

ricochet

Thought all was cool then next day find another puddle under oil filter.  Turns out the fancy ridged chrome washer for the motor mount bolt interferes ever so slightly with the edge of the filter holding it off the gasket surface a few thousandths. Had to grind relief on washer diameter.  Moral of story...  use better lighting and replace dollar store reading glasses to new strength.

ricochet

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: ricochet on June 02, 2017, 07:00:53 AM
Moral of story...  use better lighting and replace dollar store reading glasses to new strength.

ricochet

Lol...yup, I've got three different strengths of drug-store cheapies in the garage. I feel your pain.  :smiled:
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Hossamania

Sometimes I wish I had one of those large mounted magnifying lens that Jewelers use. With a light.