May 02, 2024, 09:27:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

When to Dyno

Started by wmoor004, May 29, 2017, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

how many times have they stolen from us at this point ha ha .

wmoor004

Great information in the thread.

rigidthumper

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on May 31, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
how many times have they stolen from us at this point ha ha .
I'd bet they have made more money off of you than you have ;)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HD/Wrench

yes that is without a doubt a true fact..   :cry:

hattitude

Quote from: wmoor004 on May 30, 2017, 03:29:57 PM
The head pipe does not void the warranty.  When the dealership installed the build we specifically went over the warranty and I have in writing the work is covered.  The warranty is voided if it is proven the part absolutely caused the damage. I went to my local MoCo and when they saw the bike they also made the comment "They install aftermarket heads and will do cover warranty issues". 

Has anyone actually seen a dealership deny warranty because of a head pipe or tuner? Just asking.  All in all, I will get the dyno done when I do the 1K service.  I really appreciate all of your assistance.

Several good tuners have given you their opinion on whether or not you need to tune your bike... I will defer to their experience on that piont..

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but you were given bad info on warranty...

1) The whole they have to "prove the part absolutely caused the damage" issue has to do with OEM spec parts under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. As soon as you add a performance part, or a part that operates outside the OEM parameters/specs, the MM Act, and the proof of failure clause no longer applies... period. It's back to the written warranty..

2) Whatever the dealer put in writing, does not change the Manufacturer's warranty. The warranty is from the MoCo, not the dealer. Look in your owner's manual under Limited Warranty. Look under "Exclusions #4" and "Other Limitations #4". The MoCo gets to decide what performance enhancing parts are covered and what are not... EPA has nothing to do with it, outside the narrow scope of the EPA consent decree.

If the dealer put in writing that the warranty will be covered with your "performance enhancing" exhaust, realize that is a warranty by your dealer to you... Keep that written record..!!

MoCo has nothing to do with it. If you beak down outside of range of your dealer, you will be on your own dime for a warranty repair, if it gets reported to the MoCo. The dealer is playing the odds nothing will happen, to make a sale. You will both probably win this bet... but it is better to know the facts..

3) Since part of the EPA decree requires reports to the EPA on warranty repairs... the MoCo has been taking their written warranty much more seriously than in the past.. They are less likely to turn a blind eye on minor modifications as they have for years. They are also holding dealers more accountable for filed warranty claims. Yes, the MoCo HAS denied warranty coverage on 2017 bikes because of performance parts, and certainly if they are made aware a non-EPA tuner was used.

There was a case on this and another forum where a customer had a known oil issue, that caused engine damage. His dealer filed a warranty claim. The MoCo inspected the bike, and found it had an FP3 tuner on it. MoCo both denied the warranty claim, even though the tuner was NOT the cause, and they flagged the bike for future powertrain warranty claims as required in the consent decree...

I have no proof of this anecdote, but a service tech wrote on a forum, that while a MoCo rep was checking out a warranty claim on one specific bike, he took it upon himself to inspect all the warranty claims in the shop at the time. He ended up denying warranty claims on two bikes for aftermarket parts that were not tune related..

Again, the odds are in your favor, that all the warranty changes won't affect you at all. You should have a great running bike for many miles.... just know the stakes are high if you are one of the few who have a problem, needing major repairs... the repairs will be paid by you or your dealer... not the MoCo..

wmoor004

Quote from: hattitude on June 01, 2017, 10:35:40 AM

hattitude, great response!! At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I kept my mouth shut about several comments mentioned in the thread.  In all honesty, and I sincerely mean this, after serving in the military for more than twenty-years, and deploying to fight wars more times than I want to remember, I am more than willing to cover the cost if HD voids my warranty claim. This bike was a 50th Bday gift to me and I went all out building myself a 2017 CVO RGS. LOL! Once my wheels get here next week I will post some photos - I mean I added the CVO rear fender, Boom Stage 2, Oil Cooling fan and so-on on...

You guys will continue to be one of the leading forums that I lean to for all things concerning HD. 

hattitude

Quote from: wmoor004 on June 01, 2017, 05:21:44 PM
Quote from: hattitude on June 01, 2017, 10:35:40 AM

hattitude, great response!! At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I kept my mouth shut about several comments mentioned in the thread.  In all honesty, and I sincerely mean this, after serving in the military for more than twenty-years, and deploying to fight wars more times than I want to remember, I am more than willing to cover the cost if HD voids my warranty claim. This bike was a 50th Bday gift to me and I went all out building myself a 2017 CVO RGS. LOL! Once my wheels get here next week I will post some photos - I mean I added the CVO rear fender, Boom Stage 2, Oil Cooling fan and so-on on...

You guys will continue to be one of the leading forums that I lean to for all things concerning HD.

You deserve a bike, set up the way you want... you have earned it... enjoy !

I look forward to the photos...

wmoor004

These are my current mods:

2017 RGS Stage III 114 w/ V & H Power Duals/High Output
10" Factory 47 Bars
CVO Rear Fender and CVO Stretched Bags
Stage II Boom
PM Syndicate Wheels (arriving this weekend)
Corbin Solo Seat
Air Flow Grips/Pegs
Ultra 7 pin Tank Console

More mods I need to put on - 12" Madstad windshield and Wrap Fender

doubletrouble

First and formost - thank you for your service.