May 09, 2024, 03:04:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

3.5mm Auxiliary Input Kit

Started by lilchief, August 07, 2016, 05:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilchief

It's HD p/n 69200907. I'm wondering if anyone here has used this on their Rushmore model for an auxiliary music source like a satellite radio dock & module? My bike is a 15 RG and I'd like to hook up my Sirius Stratus 6 satellite radio to the Boom 4.3 system in my bike. I already understand that if it does work, I'll need to get a flash done so the auxiliary port can be turned on.
Thanks
Lil Chief

biglew55

I have this on my 2015 FLHTK.  It works well.  I use it for my z590 with tone interrupt.  That way I can listen to any music source and the zumo will interrupt and I can hear the prompt.  But, I also listen to the z590 as a music source sometimes.  It works well.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

lilchief

gonenorth

Just a heads up...PoorUB got one and the instructions were non-existent.  We had the fairing off and couldn't see a connector.  He found an online source that said you have to take the pin connector apart and connect it to the open pins on the CD connection on the Limited.

FSG

lilchief

Mines just a standard Road Glide, so no cb. I've read a few threads on different websites about the de pinning of the cb stuff. I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into a debacle. Always seems that the cheaper the part, the more difficult it is to install.

Lil Chief

lilchief

Well so far the debacle was unavoidable, & probably my fault. I rode to the only dealer that had the auxiliary cable, about 60 miles one way. Picked up the part and asked them if they could flash the radio to turn on the auxiliary inputs. The service writer looked at me like I had 3 heads & didn't know what I was talking about. That should've been clue #1. Clue #2 came when he said they've never flashed a boom system for the auxiliary cable. Well, they took my bike right in & at about 1/2 hr he says its ready.  The charge was $42. I got home, pulled the fairing off, and got to work. Well, they flashed the cb audio out. It doesn't recognize the satellite unit, iPod, or anything else. I gave them the destructions that came with the cable & everything and they still did it wrong. Go figure. According to the instructions, it should be the audio inputs that get turned on. Oh well, off to the dealer about 10 miles from me, so they can do it properly. Oh, the service writer said that when they hooked up the digital tech to do the flash, it only pulled up cb aux out & cb aux in. The unit will switch to media, the give me the option of usb or cb. If I click on cb, then it goes to auxiliary, but still doesn't recognize anything that's plugged into it. Its plugged into the proper molex connector under the fairing as well. There's only one, and according to the destructions and the wiring diagram in the service manual, its plugged into the correct one (molex cb connector [184]).
Lil Chief

speed limit

I installed mine before I went to dealer, tech had never did it before but was able to fumble through it while I waited.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

lilchief

Quote from: speed limit on August 12, 2016, 02:07:54 PM
I installed mine before I went to dealer, tech had never did it before but was able to fumble through it while I waited.

Got it squared away today at my favored dealership. They'd never done it before but they got it in about 15 minutes. The only thing I wish it would do is flip thru the channels/songs with the joystick control. I hooked my iPod and my satellite radio up to it and both work just fine, but ya have to listen to whatever is playing at the time.
Lil Chief

twincamzz

August 30, 2016, 10:35:23 AM #9 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:31:18 PM by twincamzz
delete...answer found.
not all who wander are lost...

twincamzz

Quote from: FSG on August 11, 2016, 12:00:11 AM
http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/service/isheets/-J06025.PDF

I bought a 2017 FLHTKL Ultra Limited Low this past Saturday & need some help figuring out how to connect my I-Pod to the 6.5 GT System. I saw this & hoped it would be what I need. However when I read the instructions in above link, line 3 says " If vehicle has CB " and proceeds to give steps for installation...

The 2017 FLHTKL does not have a CB, so what now...will this plug still work ? I paid for a service manual at time of bike purchase but they didn't have one in stock so no schematics available to me at present to even take a peek at wiring. Hoping one of y'all will be able to help me out.

glens

Pretty sure that with no CB you just plug that connector right in, and get a flash from the dealer to enable it (if they didn't do that already now).

twincamzz

Thanks Glen, dealer is acting like EVERYTHING is new to them because this is a 2017. GT6.5 has been out a few years so it doesn't make sense to me why they are so confused. lol.

lilchief

If there is no CB, it is a plug and play, after you get the system flashed to turn on the Aux inputs. If there is a CB, then there is some de-pinning that needs to be done, as well as a flash, before it'll work.
Trust me, I don't think there's a whole lot of dealers that've flashed the system for this cable. The two that I went to had never done one either. The first one did it wrong, and the second one got it right. After its done correctly, you can pretty much play music through anything that has a 3.5mm female plug. Jus plug it in, turn the mode to aux, and it works. iPod, satellite, mp3, etc. Th e only drawback is that you can't scroll though songs with your thumb controls. You have to do that from the device itself

Lil' Chief

twincamzz

glens

Quote from: lilchief on August 31, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
If there is no CB,...
There's no CB (stock) on the '17 Limiteds, if you can believe it.

QuoteThe only drawback is that you can't scroll though songs with your thumb controls. You have to do that from the device itself
Well, that's the drawback of it being an audio-only connection.  For music it's hard to beat the USB port with a thumb drive anyway, so long as you've got the music to put on it.

Can you have thumb control over a device providing audio content via bluetooth?

PoorUB

Quote from: glens on August 31, 2016, 05:26:16 AM
Quote from: lilchief on August 31, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
If there is no CB,...
There's no CB (stock) on the '17 Limiteds, if you can believe it.

No chit?!  One more reason I am happy I bought a '16!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

Well, I have not had the flash done yet, but I was going to bring my Limited into the dealer next week for some warranty work and have them flash the infotainment. Then I come here, look for the PDF with the instructions, and the link in FSG's post is dead. I looked on HD's website and the instructions now are different from what I remember. The old instructions said something about enabling AUX 3. I am guessing there is a update for the firm wear...... :idunno:

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I have no idea but I thought I would ask..........

Why the F would not every option be enabled in the head unit from the factory?

Why would you install anything such as this with limited use?

That would be like paying $25,000.00 for a nice brand new bike only to find out you have to have 6th gear enabled with flash to ECM...........

WTF??????????????????? :banghead:
Member since 2004

PoorUB

Yes, I agree completely. Why not put it in as a selectable option in the infotainment center? Why not add it to a infotainment update?

Brew61

How else are they going to make extra money? You bring it in to have it flashed and while you wait they sell you more crap.

Bruce
2004 Road King, 110 with S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,HPI 55 mm Thr

nibroc

Quote from: Brew61 on April 13, 2017, 03:53:35 AM
How else are they going to make extra money? You bring it in to have it flashed and while you wait they sell you more crap.

Bruce
--kinda like all the ads on the web

PoorUB

I should add I got the cable installed and the flash and it works well with my satellite radio.