May 09, 2024, 01:28:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2011 Harmon Kardon Radio Has No Display

Started by wrenchspinner3, June 21, 2017, 06:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrenchspinner3

After changing to a new battery, the HK Radio has no display whatsoever(maybe coincidence). The backlight for the screen seems to be working. The bike's main fuse, battery memory fuse and battery power fuses have all been verified and the main fuse has been removed for 15 minutes and reinstalled in an attempt at resetting the radio. Is it possible the 'display' contrast adjustment has been reduced to where the display cannot be seen at all? Any ideas how to recover from this?
Thanks

Coyote

Yes you can set the contrast so the display is not visible. Grab your owners manual and go through the steps to get to that menu and move the setting up or down to see if that is the issue. IIRC, there was a software update to address this as it's happened to many.

UltraNutZ

If what Coyote stated doesn't work, gently push around the edges of the radio to see if display goes off and on.  Internal contacts could be dirty, known issue after a couple of years
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Paniolo

Is there a way to increase screen brightness? I have difficulty seeing mine at night.
2006 CVO Ultra with Harmon-Kardon CD/AM/FM/WB/Satellite/CB.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

89 fxrs

if you push the volume button in it will display several options, scroll till you see display - then you can adjust it to your liking
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Coyote

Quote from: Paniolo on June 21, 2017, 09:12:32 AM
Is there a way to increase screen brightness? I have difficulty seeing mine at night.
2006 CVO Ultra with Harmon-Kardon CD/AM/FM/WB/Satellite/CB.

AFAIK, just contrast (or viewing angle). If it bugs you enough, you can send the radio into Iron Cross Audio and Tony can change out the red leds and put a color in that is more easily read.

tech

Quote from: wrenchspinner3 on June 21, 2017, 06:17:31 AM
After changing to a new battery, the HK Radio has no display whatsoever(maybe coincidence). The backlight for the screen seems to be working. The bike's main fuse, battery memory fuse and battery power fuses have all been verified and the main fuse has been removed for 15 minutes and reinstalled in an attempt at resetting the radio. Is it possible the 'display' contrast adjustment has been reduced to where the display cannot be seen at all? Any ideas how to recover from this?
Thanks

After 2006, there was no way to reduce the contrast enough to loose the display.
From mid 2010 to early 2011 there was a run of radios where installed components on both the display and control circuits were sensitive to voltage spikes / surges.
Changing the battery can cause such a spike and may have taken out the display processor.

wrenchspinner3

The voltage spike issue could be it. Would it have been better to pull the bike's main maxi fuse when changing the battery to prevent spikes? Or are is it a  "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation? I will still try some of the suggestions given above and report back, but now I'm not too hopeful.

wrenchspinner3

Also, if I install a new head unit myself, do I have to take the bike to the Dealer to have them do some programming via the Digital Technician computer/software to match it to the bike?

Coyote

No. Any radio will drop in. The only issue I know of is radios from non ultra bikes may not have the f/r fader enabled. You can always send your radio into iron cross for repair.

wrenchspinner3

Sending it to them would be a good idea except I live in Canada and would have Custom's duties, shipping issues etc. The dealership here claims they must mate the stock replacement radio to the bike, but I'll try installing a new one first and see if it is 'plug and play'.

UltraNutZ

Not going to be plug n play unless you buy a unit such as Jensen or aquatic a/v specifically made for Harley.  Anything else will require an installation kit in addition to handlebar control module.  Have you tried the "push test" yet?

Coyote

Quote from: wrenchspinner3 on June 22, 2017, 05:36:35 PM
Sending it to them would be a good idea except I live in Canada and would have Custom's duties, shipping issues etc. The dealership here claims they must mate the stock replacement radio to the bike, but I'll try installing a new one first and see if it is 'plug and play'.

That's not right. Any stock radio will drop right in and work fine. No dealer is required. Also,have you looked on Ebay. Stock take outs are all over at a decent price.  Just get one that looks clean and from a later model year bike. I've bought quite a few of them. I keep some on hand and when a customer has one failed, I often just sell them one of mine, takes theirs, and get it repaired.

UltraNutZ

Well I meant besides another stocker.  😁

Coyote

June 22, 2017, 06:08:05 PM #14 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:09:04 PM by UltraNutZ
Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 22, 2017, 06:07:20 PM
Well I meant besides another stocker.  😁

Yeah, I know you know! lol  :teeth:

PoorUB

Quote from: wrenchspinner3 on June 22, 2017, 05:36:35 PM

how far across the border do you live? I know guys have "carried" stuff across the border, shipped it from and back to a US address and hopped the border to pick it up. Just don't have it in the shipping box when you go through customs. just toss it in the trunk with all the other crap people haul back there!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

wrenchspinner3

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 22, 2017, 05:43:25 PM
Not going to be plug n play unless you buy a unit such as Jensen or aquatic a/v specifically made for Harley.  Anything else will require an installation kit in addition to handlebar control module.  Have you tried the "push test" yet?

Yes I did try the 'push test' but this had no effect at all. The display's back light stays on but no display appears. If I have time to kill I can pull the radio and try removing the faceplate and check the buss connector. Not too confident though...

As far as 'plug and play' with a new stock unit, my research indicates that the Digital Technician II is needed to program the head unit to recognize the CB module/rear speakers/Region etc.  I would be transferring over the CB module from the defective radio to the new one I imagine. Am I wrong about this requirement from the dealership??

Coyote

Quote from: wrenchspinner3 on June 23, 2017, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 22, 2017, 05:43:25 PM

Yes I did try the 'push test' but this had no effect at all. The display's back light stays on but no display appears. If I have time to kill I can pull the radio and try removing the faceplate and check the buss connector. Not too confident though...

As far as 'plug and play' with a new stock unit, my research indicates that the Digital Technician II is needed to program the head unit to recognize the CB module/rear speakers/Region etc.  I would be transferring over the CB module from the defective radio to the new one I imagine. Am I wrong about this requirement from the dealership??

Still wrong. You do not need dig tech to swap radios.  :doh:   I'm not just passing on internet gossip. Have done this many times. CB and XM module will be recognized as soon as you plug them in.

The radio can be configured for non US radio bands but unless you buy a used one from off shore, it shouldn't be an issue.

UltraNutZ

exactly!

Quote from: Coyote on June 23, 2017, 11:22:00 AM
Still wrong. You do not need dig tech to swap radios.  :doh:   I'm not just passing on internet gossip. Have done this many times. CB and XM module will be recognized as soon as you plug them in.

The radio can be configured for non US radio bands but unless you buy a used one from off shore, it shouldn't be an issue.