April 19, 2024, 04:52:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What was the first year the gusset was added to the Duo Glide frame?

Started by Reddog74usa, July 23, 2009, 04:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Can ya tell me when they started adding the reinforcement gusset on the left rear down tube on the Duo Glide frames. I had a 59 and it did not have it. I'm thinking around 62 or 63
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CraigArizona85248

According to Palmer's book, that gusset was an add for 1969-later frames.  He notes that the gusset was available as a repair item and was added to some '58-'64 frames after the fact.

-Craig

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Speeding Big Twin

Craig, you're right about Palmer saying 1969-later. But my H-D parts catalogs list gusset plate #47261-68 as a repair part available for use 1958â€"early-1968, indicating it was a standard factory fitting as of mid/late-1968. I read years ago the California Highway Patrol contacted H-D after the frames of some police bikes cracked and that led to the gusset being introduced. However, I’ve never been able to confirm the story about the CHP.

Palmer also states: ‘... two reinforcement gussets on the transmission side of the back down tubes from the swing arm mount up.’ I’ve owned several Shovelhead frames with the gusset fitted as standard and I still own the frame below. I’ve also known many people who owned them and I’ve seen lots more. But none of them had two gussets. All of them had one gusset only.     Eric

greybeard_541

When I was building my bike, an old timer suggested the addition of this as it was a known weak spot on the frame- didn't doubt his knowledge, had one sent with an order from J&P and welded that sucker on. No reason to take a chance (IMHO) having the motor and trans out made it an easy addition.

Greybeard

ModelABob

I added a home made gusset to the frame of a '66 Shovel I owned back in the 70's.  My '65 Pan dosen't have one and I don't plan on adding one either.  Been riding it for over 25 years, including one major wreck, with no problems.  Just my
.02 cents.... :smiled:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

panic

I bought some 1968-70 police bikes from NYCPD, some had both sides gusseted.

Harleyminiguy

Hello harleyminiguy here
We are re working a 60 duo glide. Can someone provide a picture or information on adding the gusset?

HogMike

Quote from: Harleyminiguy on February 27, 2024, 03:25:33 PMHello harleyminiguy here
We are re working a 60 duo glide. Can someone provide a picture or information on adding the gusset?

My 65 frame was cracked at that weld. I found that gusset at a swap meet years ago and welded it on. The 65 and earlier didn't have one. Never had that issue with the earlier bikes.
My 65 was ridden on fire roads and desert trails earlier on in my troubled youth! LOL
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

I found a picture of an replica frame that has the bracket on the left side to give an idea of what it looks like on the bike.You cannot see attachments on this board.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Buglet

Have an original 62 and 67 neither one has gussets.