March 28, 2024, 03:50:54 AM

News:

genny gears

Started by stroker800, November 02, 2008, 08:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

November 02, 2008, 08:46:23 AM Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:14:48 PM by stroker800
Whats the counts on teeth for a genny gear,,,,,,I thought 13 and 14.....OK  I have installed a mini alternator on my pan...the gear back lash is to sloppy . There is no way to shim,all the gears are new. Has anyone had issues with gears being made to poor tolerances...The noise still bothers me...any help would be good.
Dave

dmdrider03

I was looking up info on generators the other day (Palmer's book) Big Twin gears were all 14 teeth. The O.D. changed, early style were 1.00 O.D. then 1.25 from 4? to 57, 58 and up were back to 1.00 O.D.
The 13 tooth gear was found on Sportsters.
Hope this helps!

(I'm interested in the install and final opinion on that alternator setup. I have one on my shelf ready to install on my 49 as I get closer to completion.)

ModelABob

I read somewhere that there was a problem with bearing failure on this new alternator
set-up for early generator scoots.  I think it was in the "The Panhead & Flathead Site",
an independent website run by a guy in Norway, I beleive.  Great place with a lot of good
info on the old scooters.  Try typing in:  www.hydra-glide.net   and see if that will get you
started. 8)

AMF/Ride Safe ;)
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Mule

All sportsetrs had 14 tooth gears, early big twins had 14 tooth as well, the 13 tooth gear was used in big twins from 1958-69... It has something to do with turning the generator faster ... Mule...

dmdrider03

thought I might have misqouted the 'Palmer' reference. Looked it up again out of curiosity

Page 370
"1936-1944 OHV first gear used.......second type is used on 1945-1957 OHV, The difference between the two is their O.D's. The early gear O.D. is 1.00"...later gear O.D. is 1.022". The 3rd gear on 1958-1969 OHV is similar to first type.....O.D. is 1.00". Main difference between the third and early types is the lock pin holes found in the 1st and 2nd types. All of these gears have fourteen teeth. A similar gear used on 1963-1984, can be accidently used in place of the correct gear. It has thirteen teeth. It will fit in the place of of the OHV gear but it will increase the armature's rpm making it reach maximum output sooner than the OHV gear"