April 23, 2024, 06:54:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Cylinder Dowels and O-rings

Started by Ohio HD, June 23, 2017, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Max they're 0.263" ID. I don't know if they are Viton, they feel a bit tough. What I orderd and used last time was McMaster Carr 93445K338, they're Viton. 

[attach=0]

Admiral Akbar

Thanks,  I figure about 0.250 on the hole and that the O rings were likely -011s.  That puts the ID of the o ring grove about 0.315 so the dowel is thin at the groove.   At 0.263 hole the wall thickness at the grove as only 0.026.

I was looking at McMaster. The list each at 8.82 which is pricey. On line could be wrong?  They appear to be dual compound.  Granger has black for about $3 and brown for about $9 in packs of 100.

Admiral Akbar

BTW not trying to insult.  Just asking. I am curious how they worked for you.  You can get 011 viton standards from McMaster in packs of 100 brown for about $9. There seems to be a bug in their selection program that lead me to that one O ring. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm thinking about making a set of the dowels. 7/16 annealed / ground drill rod would be easy to drill and cut to size. I have to come up with a set of dowels anyway.  I had to remove them to sleeve the cylinders.

Admiral Akbar

One thing that is interesting is that I had to setup a VPN to access this place. Did I piss off an admin?

I know I screwed up some time ago asking if someone wanted to sell something.   Got some good info deleted. 

Ohio HD

My mistake on what I ordered. It was in 2017 sooo..... and I was at work. Here's what I ordered, they work fine, been in the motor since 2017, but not a lot of miles, maybe 5,000.

This is where I get all of my pushrod tube o-rings, etc.

[attach=0,msg1395930]

Admiral Akbar

Cool. I'll look into them..

BTW. McMaster has ground 12L14.. :D

Coyote

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on September 28, 2021, 06:26:21 PM
One thing that is interesting is that I had to setup a VPN to access this place. Did I piss off an admin?

I know I screwed up some time ago asking if someone wanted to sell something.   Got some good info deleted.

You're posting from your account here so you're not being blocked.  If you were you  couldn't post at all. Pm me you're home ip address and I'll see if it's some how flagged.  Although I doubt it, sometimes things happen I don't expect. 

Ohio HD

I did find a McMaster o-ring that's not emptying your wallet. McMaster is good if you need things quick. At least for me, one day shipping.

Part # 5267T22

https://www.mcmaster.com/5267T22/

les

Thanks for the info about ordering the o-rings, but I don't get a hit on the part number 500-0385 using the search engine on the S&S site.  So, where's the best place to orders the dowels?

Ohio HD

They're in the 2021 price sheet. So who ever your authorized S&S dealer is can get them.

Ohio HD

I updated the drawing with all pertinent dimensions in the event someone wants to make their own.

[attach=0]

wfolarry

use a white background so it will print better

Ohio HD

Larry, I forgot the 0.263" bore through the dowel.     :embarrassed:

Fixed on this one.

[attach=0]

FSG

Ohio HD

I'll have a better one up tomorrow, made from a 3D model.

[attach=0]

Ohio HD

October 01, 2021, 07:27:39 PM #65 Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:02:57 PM by Ohio HD
Here's the better drawing in PDF

[attach=0,msg1396172]

wfolarry

Admiral Akbar

Thanks for the drawings.  Made a set.

Ohio HD