May 09, 2024, 03:42:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another Starter Problem

Started by panhead62, April 05, 2009, 10:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhead62

Hello all,

I have an 83 shovel with a 96" sidewinder kit installed.  I don't know the compression but the stock .08 hp starter would hardly turn it over even with a new battery. I bought an ultima starter on ebay.  Was listed as new.  installed starter, new solenoid return spring, new 350Ca. battery.  Heads are 2 hole so installed compression releases in 2nd spark hole.  Engine spins good but after approx10 15 seconds the ground wire gets really hot!!  After letting it cool down, try to start again and the starter will bog down, let up on switch and starter will continue to try and turn.  Have to disconnect battery fast as not to burn up starter or battery. Bad starter? relay? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bob

Jusbo48

Check the solenoid,sounds to me that the contact washer inside might be welded to the contacts.

vern

i have had the starter run on after turning everything of and in my case it was the relay, and if your wires are getting hot it could be your ground as in paint on the engine mounts, but then what do i know I've been having my share of starter problems with my belt drive conversion. good luck bob

ramcr913

Panhead62-
Is your solenoid hooked up correctly- Top (long) terminal to to battery and bottom (short) terminal to starter? If its backwards, the solenoid hold-in coil may cause the starter to continue spinning.
However, you indicated that after "10-15 seconds" the ground wire gets hot. Why isn't the engine starting sooner- is the starter spinning too slowly or is something else preventing the engine from starting?

bungee

..if starter does not disengage, try 'centering' the outer primary. The cover/bearing can easily hold the starter shaft if not fitted freely.

76shuvlinoff

As mentioned above , probably is another problem but I don't think you should be needing to crank the starter 15 seconds. That's a pretty heavy load and things start getting hot at that point. The relay or solenoid contacts could be welding.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

yea this is factiod,,that ol girl jus bump button n she should be idlilun,, a proper set up ol shovel will give grunt n be runnin

panhead62

Thanks for all the info.  I rerouted the ground to a different spot.  Still gets hot if cranked too long.  It was mentioned that the engine mounts not grounding.  The FXR is mounted in rubber.  The ground is direct to the engine.  Should there be a ground from engine to frame also?  Once the engine fires up she starts ok but hard to start after sitting for a month or so.  I'm gone a lot and she doesn't get started very often.  Thought about going ahead and putting a new solenoid on her and new relay. On the road again be gone for a few weeks.  Will try to do more when home next time.

Thanks again all
Bob

Old Crow

My '82 FLT(also rubber mounted)definitly has a ground from the eng/trans to the frame.  Neg cable goes to a bolt on the trans and there's one of those braided ground straps from the same trans bolt to the bolt that holds the brake line block on the frame cross member under the trans.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

panhead62

Thanks old crow,  when I get home again I'll put another ground strap on her and see if that helps.

Jailbard

..had a similar problem myself. My problem was a short in the lead to the solenoid (had been rubbing under the oil tank, actually blew a hole in da tank). I ran an extra earth to the tranny ( Ive got two earths now) starts pretty good now. Just my 2 cents.