May 03, 2024, 05:48:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screw Found in My Oil Pump Today

Started by StevieRay59, June 26, 2017, 10:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevieRay59

June 26, 2017, 10:47:06 PM Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:39:18 AM by StevieRay59
Piston oil jet screw one of four. This is from my 2017 FLHTK  Limited.  3000 miles on this Replacement Motor.
The first engine failed with 700 miles on it bad oil pump full of debris from factory. So to recap, 4000 total miles
on my bike, 2 engines self destructed. Both motors built b4 Oct 2016. This $30,000 M8 Mistake is Worst Harley
Ever Sold to the public. Should I demand a replacement bike,  or let them put another engine in it?  2 complete
engines failures all ready, 4000 miles on my bike total. Maybe Engine number 3 will be the one. Ha what a F... Joke.
Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

misfitJason

Yikes. Full rebuild on Harley's dime?
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

FloridaJim5

Could you elaborate a little more please?  Your bio says you ride a '14 which would be a twin cam.   

rigidthumper

Well, that'll screw things up!
Seriously, I'm curious, how did that travel from the flywheel cavity to the cam cavity? There is no direct path I can think of...and the crossover passage is way too small...
Have you torn down the engine to verify, or did somebody leave you with an extra?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

StevieRay59

I was at Fuel Moto for a cam install yesterday and they found the screw in the oil pump
when they pulled the stock cam out. We had to Stop the cam installation right there load it back on my
truck and I brought back to Westland, Mi . This is the Second Motor in my bike. First one
failed with 700 miles on it back in Sept 2016. Oil pump was full of debris on the original motor. This motor only has 3000 miles on it. Both engines
built B4 Oct 2016. Both engines self destructed from Shoddy Assembly right out of the factory.

StevieRay59

Pic of the oil jet retaining screw found in oil pump.

koko3052

Hmmm.... to find a screw in the oil pump w/o any prior indication of engine problems would mean that engine stopped exactly the moment that the screw was ingested. What are the odds of that?
Darn good thing that you were going to do the cam change. :wink:

rbabos

Why does my mind keep thinking AMF?
Ron

BVHOG

Quote from: koko3052 on June 27, 2017, 06:46:53 AM
Hmmm.... to find a screw in the oil pump w/o any prior indication of engine problems would mean that engine stopped exactly the moment that the screw was ingested. What are the odds of that?

Yes, a bit odd indeed
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

1FSTRK

Quote from: koko3052 on June 27, 2017, 06:46:53 AM

Not really, the screw was probably beat up in the flywheel compartment and became lodged in the return side pick-up passage. He does not say it made it into the pump gears so it may rode in there for miles and could have for many more.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

StevieRay59

Metal shavings I found in the oil filter magnet

rbabos

Quote from: StevieRay59 on June 27, 2017, 02:39:18 PM
Metal shavings I found in the oil filter magnet
So, we talking engine number 3 coming up in less then a year? That blows.
Ron

markymark

What kind of response has the dealer given you ??

StevieRay59

Dropped it off this afternoon. Waiting on the mothership to respond plus dealership needs to look at it.
Waiting game now. Told my salesman to see about replacement bike. So wait and see how much Harley cares about
their customers. At this point I'm just numb. 4000 mi on bike and 2 engines failed.

rigidthumper

When they replaced the first engine, did they replace the oil tank, cooler, and all the oil lines? Screw could have come from there.  Please let us know what they find on tear down- if, indeed, there is a screw missing from one of the squirters, or was this a spare. I think calling the second one "blowed up" may be a bit premature. The bike was still running without issue, correct?  I'm thinking so, because, why take an in warranty, non running bike to FuelMoto for a cam and tune upgrade, right?  There was no evidence of anything wrong? Good oil pressure? You were just looking to improve the performance, right?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

StevieRay59

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on June 27, 2017, 03:47:21 AM
Could you elaborate a little more please?  Your bio says you ride a '14 which would be a twin cam.

Yea forgot to update my bio. Should be correct now. 2017 Limited M8

StevieRay59

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 28, 2017, 05:06:41 AM
When they replaced the first engine, did they replace the oil tank, cooler, and all the oil lines? Screw could have come from there.  Please let us know what they find on tear down- if, indeed, there is a screw missing from one of the squirters, or was this a spare. I think calling the second one "blowed up" may be a bit premature. The bike was still running without issue, correct?  I'm thinking so, because, why take an in warranty, non running bike to FuelMoto for a cam and tune upgrade, right?  There was no evidence of anything wrong? Good oil pressure? You were just looking to improve the performance, right?

There was no indication of a noise or problem when I loaded up the bike to go to Wi. It was running great. Maybe the screw fell out when they rode it into the shop? Who knows?

fbn ent

Did you show the dealer the oil filter? Just wondering how they feel as far as warranty and those....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

rbabos

Quote from: fbn ent on June 28, 2017, 08:50:16 AM
Did you show the dealer the oil filter? Just wondering how they feel as far as warranty and those....
Good question. It does not meet OEM spec big time.
Ron

StevieRay59

I showed him the pics of the oil filter.

harleytuner

I believe HD changed the torque spec on the piston jet screw. Anybody else heard this?

hogpipes1

Quote from: StevieRay59 on June 29, 2017, 09:11:53 PM

I showed him the pics of the oil filter.
What brand of filter is this?  Looks like the screw is brass? thanks .

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: harleytuner on June 30, 2017, 04:43:07 AM
I believe HD changed the torque spec on the piston jet screw. Anybody else heard this?

Saw that on HDF in a list of things the HD tech is supposed to check now.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FSG

The M8 uses the same screw (68042-99 , 8-32 X 3/8 TORX) as the TC, the Torque Spec for the screw in a TC is 25-35 in-lbs and Loctite 222, what are they doing in a M8, I see no reason why it'd be much different.

harleytuner

Quote from: FSG on June 30, 2017, 05:31:48 PM

The M8 uses the same screw (68042-99 , 8-32 X 3/8 TORX) as the TC, the Torque Spec for the screw in a TC is 25-35 in-lbs and Loctite 222, what are they doing in a M8, I see no reason why it'd be much different.

I'm hearing they had then set at the factory torqued to 20" lbs.   They are now wanting them re-torqued to 30.  I don't know this for fact but its I'm hearing. If it's true and these screws are in fact coming loose out could possibly lead up to the sumping issue were hearing about

FSG

QuoteIf it's true and these screws are in fact coming loose out could possibly lead up to the sumping issue were hearing about

:agree:   just look at the base of the oiler, the TC as round and used an o-ring, the M8 is a long skinny rectangle and uses a gasket, a loose screw either end will leak a lot, perhaps the saved on the loctite

the M8 oiler base could have been done a whole lot better

harleytuner

Quote from: FSG on June 30, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
QuoteIf it's true and these screws are in fact coming loose out could possibly lead up to the sumping issue were hearing about

:agree:   just look at the base of the oiler, the TC as round and used an o-ring, the M8 is a long skinny rectangle and uses a gasket, a loose screw either end will leak a lot, perhaps the saved on the loctite

the M8 oiler base could have been done a whole lot better

That's how I see it also.  Seams like they dumbed up s good proven design.  Even if this isn't the issue I don't get why they wouldn't of stayed worry an o ring type seal

rbabos

Who the hell would be dumb enough to use a gasket sealing design rather then O-ring there?  It just asks for trouble. Now let's all add some torque and distort the base of the squirt base. That'll learn it. :hyst:
Ron

StevieRay59

Quote from: markymark on June 27, 2017, 03:09:50 PM
What kind of response has the dealer given you ??

They were told by corporate to bore scope cylinders and send pics to them today. Dealership called today offering a loaner so I'm headed to the shop now.

ultraswede

If this cause sumping,  that  oil causing sumping isnt going where its designen to go, cooling pistons. 
This may be the the reason for some cooked topp ends?  :scratch:

K4FXD

Any updates?

Or is this anther denied warranty deal?
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

StevieRay59

New Motor coming this week. Take your time corporate my summer vacation is over this Friday. Been in shop since June 27.
Having them install the torque cam B4 I pick it up. God knows how much longer I have to wait on this $30,000 mistake?   

Paniolo

Maybe I missed it, but did they ever determine where the part came from, or how it got into the pump?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Good_Apollo

Quote from: StevieRay59 on July 12, 2017, 09:01:33 AM
New Motor coming this week. Take your time corporate my summer vacation is over this Friday. Been in shop since June 27.
Having them install the torque cam B4 I pick it up. God knows how much longer I have to wait on this $30,000 mistake?

As crappy as the situation is and all the waiting, it does seem like the dealer is working with you. Which dealership?

StevieRay59

Quote from: Good_Apollo on July 12, 2017, 11:59:51 AM

As crappy as the situation is and all the waiting, it does seem like the dealer is working with you. Which dealership?

Dealership has been great, but they have to wait on Harley to ship a motor. They said the motor will arrive Thur. Who knows maybe get it back this weekend. I'm having the torque cam installed B4 I pick it up. Put on the street cannons, and the K&N Filter and a tune. Call me when it's done ! Motor City Harley, great people in Farmington Hills, Mi.

Good_Apollo

My brother works there, Fat Bob in sales

StevieRay59

Quote from: Good_Apollo on July 13, 2017, 11:35:16 AM
My brother works there, Fat Bob in sales

Bought my 2014 Limited from Big Bob, great guy. I bought this 2017 Limited from James. I think his office is next to Bob's?

lucasg

First off, sorry to hear about all your problems.  I don't think I could've been as patient as you.  A shame that a company that's been around this long can't get it right..... And then try to cover up known issues....
Hope it all works out for bud...

Heatwave3

Quote from: StevieRay59 on July 12, 2017, 07:35:25 PM
Quote from: Good_Apollo on July 12, 2017, 11:59:51 AM

Dealership has been great, but they have to wait on Harley to ship a motor. They said the motor will arrive Thur. Who knows maybe get it back this weekend. I'm having the torque cam installed B4 I pick it up. Put on the street cannons, and the K&N Filter and a tune. Call me when it's done ! Motor City Harley, great people in Farmington Hills, Mi.

I had the same issue. Low power, overheating, 4800 miles on '17 CVO limited. Engine broken down. trq on oil jet screws below 20in-lbs. Crank and rod rotation was stiff. HD authorized new engine. Since I had stage 4 kit already, they authorized an entirely new Stage 4 kit and the new design oil pump (being installed today). I road the bike with the stock engine for a week and it felt terrific. Based on how the new engine feels, I believe I've had sumping issues since I took delivery last Fall, even though I never had an engine light and the Oil read out said "OK".

StevieRay59

Bike should be ready Monday. Third time's a charm I hope. The torque cam should be fun after break in is done. Maybe I will quit looking at the web sites of other brands and finally be
able to trust this bike like my other Harleys I've had. They never let me down like this one has.

VDeuce

Quote from: StevieRay59 on July 21, 2017, 08:57:51 PM
Bike should be ready Monday. Third time's a charm I hope. The torque cam should be fun after break in is done. Maybe I will quit looking at the web sites of other brands and finally be
able to trust this bike like my other Harleys I've had. They never let me down like this one has.
Hope it works out for you. Keep an eye on transmission fluid level; some reports of tranny lube migrating into primary and HD is aware, despite what the dealers might otherwise say. Tranny goes empty overfilling primary.

StevieRay59

Quote from: VDeuce on July 22, 2017, 10:14:54 AM
Quote from: StevieRay59 on July 21, 2017, 08:57:51 PM
Hope it works out for you. Keep an eye on transmission fluid level; some reports of tranny lube migrating into primary and HD is aware, despite what the dealers might otherwise say. Tranny goes empty overfilling primary.

I've been watching for that prob. too. I have had to add a little bit maybe 2oz before my last 3 hole oil change. Will keep checking after every ride till I know how much, or if it's transferring. For now I'm just trying to get an M8 motor to quit destroying itself every month or two.

Fugawee

StevieRay, Man o' Man do I give You credit for Your patience. I'm not so sure how I would be handling all of this. I'm not trying to put any more fuel on the ol' fire, but I would always have some sort of crazy thought in My mind every time I was on the Bike about the reliability. I don't think I would be enjoying Myself on it. Again...that's Me. I don't mean to be pis$ing You off, or upsetting You more than You probably already are. At least You say that the HD Dealer is being decent about it. That's a Plus. Best of Luck to You... I hope that it ALL works out for the BEST. Take Care.