May 03, 2024, 10:59:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary chain and vibration?

Started by 1340evo, July 02, 2017, 01:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

I didn't.. You can only do it with the chain on unless you fit a big driver onto the Comp nut.. not a good idea... But you can run it dry with the primary cover off... This gives you some idea :)

FTBY55

Yes, I did that on my fatboy. Luckily I did not damage my starter shaft.

ridentheironhorse

Quote from: nibroc on July 06, 2017, 04:40:19 AM
Quote from: BKACHE on July 03, 2017, 04:57:04 PM
I have a $20 plastic 'Barbie Stair' - it looks like a stair to a doll house that fits in the top of the chain/sprocket to take off and vice versa to install. Drop the tension on the chain adjuster so the adjuster does not brake the inner primary. Grind the leading edge of the socket flat to be able to get a good grip on the short nut top.

good advice---thanks

I initially thought going this route 2 weeks ago replacing the stator...  made one out of a cutting board....  then I read the actual Harley Davidson Repair Service Manual, rather than the aftermarket Clymer one.....    I threw that step tool away and cut a piece of flatbar to fit between the teeth of the compensating sprocket and the sprocket on the clutch assembly.  One direction will allow you to loosen the front compensating sprocket nut (with a 3-4' pipe on your straight bar ratchet) and the other direction to undo the left-hand nut on the clutch assembly (once you are "in" past the initial nut and cover plate.....   

Ironheadmike

If you don't have an air impact drive . For many years I used a rope in the cylinder , 1/2 ratchet and a 3 foot cheater bar . May sure you tie a knot on the end of the rope so it don't fall in

Marcus63

Quote from: charlie on July 02, 2017, 03:16:38 PM
what makes u think its coming out of the primary :scratch:

When I bought mine she also had some hefty vibration around the 2500 rpm area. I changed the horrid 2 in 2 dragpipes for a Supertrapp 2 in 1 fully tuned with the discs....and presto...the vibration issue was gone. I also gained two big handfull's of torque in the same rpm zone. Dragpipes SUCK bigtime for road riding when all you want is practical day to day performance @ all throttle settings. The sound maybe great but dragpipes are meant for WOT only.

My 2c

FXRS 1990
Stock engine
Modified airfilter, carb & exhaust

Burnout

Quote from: Marcus63 on November 14, 2017, 03:45:19 AM
Quote from: charlie on July 02, 2017, 03:16:38 PM
what makes u think its coming out of the primary :scratch:

When I bought mine she also had some hefty vibration around the 2500 rpm area. I changed the horrid 2 in 2 dragpipes for a Supertrapp 2 in 1 fully tuned with the discs....and presto...the vibration issue was gone. I also gained two big handfull's of torque in the same rpm zone. Dragpipes SUCK bigtime for road riding when all you want is practical day to day performance @ all throttle settings. The sound maybe great but dragpipes are meant for WOT only.

My 2c

Say Hallelujah! 

RickB
The 2:1 Preacher
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

I loved my drag pipes. The people that rode next to me did not share my view.
They worked just fine for me, because I did keep them up in the rpm's, usually running a gear short to keep them on the boil. Had to change them because they were going to get me thrown in jail.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Reddog74usa

I recently swapped out the primary chain on my 77 FXE and it made a huge difference in vibration. Really knocked it down. So yes, the primary chain can cause excessive vibration if it's shot.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT