March 28, 2024, 11:52:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1998 flywheels in pre -92 cases?

Started by xlfan, July 07, 2017, 11:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Has anyone done this? What is involved of modifications to the pre -92 cam cover?

prodrag1320

easier to just use a 92- up cover,direct bolt in then

xlfan

Wouldn't that screw up the breather system?

Hillside Motorcycle

Drill/tap the heads for late head breathers and late rocker covers.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jsachs1

July 10, 2017, 03:46:16 PM #4 Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:52:52 PM by jsachs1
Quote from: Scott P on July 10, 2017, 03:47:23 AM
Drill/tap the heads for late head breathers and late rocker covers.

:up: and Block off fitting in rear of early case.

xlfan

Great stuff, thanks all!

What about the oil return "compartment" in the lower rear of right side early cases, when used with late style "open" cam cover?

Burnout

What does changing the crank have to do with the breather system?

NOTHING!

And you jokers that think you can mess with the breather system by drilling heads or plugging passages are in for a rude surprise!
Changing the breather system was an attempt to comply with EPA rules. It is not better.

I say attempt because the aftermarket instantly had "solutions" to modify the new breather system.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Quote from: Burnout on July 11, 2017, 05:46:04 AM

NOTHING!

And you jokers that think you can mess with the breather system by drilling heads or plugging passages are in for a rude surprise!
Changing the breather system was an attempt to comply with EPA rules. It is not better.

I say attempt because the aftermarket instantly had "solutions" to modify the new breather system.

running a late cam cover with early bottom breathing,oil will pour out the breather.i should have explained it when I said to just use a late cam cover,but I thought it was understood.when going to late wheels & cover,it must be converted to top breathing

Mark222

"running a late cam cover with early bottom breathing,oil will pour out the breather.i should have explained it when I said to just use a late cam cover,but I thought it was understood.when going to late wheels & cover,it must be converted to top breathing"

Yep, made the mistake once of putting a non "window" type gasket in an early Evo, oil poured out in a full stream.

Mark

Burnout

Again I ask why the breather topic even came up for a crank change?

I'll keep my bottom breather, it works too good.

Powerglides

The late cranks (92 up) have a longer pinion shaft and a RH thread hex nut. The earlier cover fouls on the nut, and sometimes on the end of the pinion shaft, whereas the later cover doesn't, as the bushing and housing are set deeper. As stated by others the late cover doesn't work with the crankcase breather, only the head breathers.
If memory serves, I think that the S&S early cover may accommodate the later crank. Be worth a call to S&S to check, as this would save having to modify the heads and using the late rocker boxes.
Boz

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: prodrag1320 on July 11, 2017, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: Burnout on July 11, 2017, 05:46:04 AM

NOTHING!

running a late cam cover with early bottom breathing,oil will pour out the breather.i should have explained it when I said to just use a late cam cover,but I thought it was understood.when going to late wheels & cover,it must be converted to top breathing

:up: :up:

Burnout

Quote from: Powerglides on July 12, 2017, 12:55:07 AM
The late cranks (92 up) have a longer pinion shaft and a RH thread hex nut. The earlier cover fouls on the nut, and sometimes on the end of the pinion shaft, whereas the later cover doesn't, as the bushing and housing are set deeper. As stated by others the late cover doesn't work with the crankcase breather, only the head breathers.
If memory serves, I think that the S&S early cover may accommodate the later crank. Be worth a call to S&S to check, as this would save having to modify the heads and using the late rocker boxes.

AH! Seems like you could just spot face the oil feed bushing down to provide clearance for the nut?

prodrag1320

Quote from: Burnout on July 12, 2017, 04:22:38 AM
Quote from: Powerglides on July 12, 2017, 12:55:07 AM

AH! Seems like you could just spot face the oil feed bushing down to provide clearance for the nut?

not quite,the nut is also a lot bigger,so your machining into the bushing (making it too thin,IMO & also machining into the aluminum witch takes away a lot of the support for the bushing.we`ve done this many times.even with a full machine facility,its just flat out easier using a late cover & setting the motor up to head breath

Burnout

The bushing doesn't really provide critical "support", it mostly just feeds oil to the crank.

Hillside Motorcycle

On the straight shaft Evo's, that bushing sure helps those weaklings.

xlfan

April 10, 2020, 08:06:05 AM #17 Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:11:00 AM by xlfan
Quote from: Burnout on July 11, 2017, 05:18:18 PM
Again I ask why the breather topic even came up for a crank change?

I'll keep my bottom breather, it works too good.

Because of the cam cover differences.

I guess the other way around is a direct modification free bolt in? A pre-92 flywheel set in a 93-later crankcase?