May 08, 2024, 08:47:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adjust Push rods w/rocker boxes installed

Started by Flhfxd, August 09, 2017, 08:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flhfxd

Have to install a set of Quickee adjustables on an EVO and would rather not disassemble the rocker boxes. Whats best practice for finding base circle of cam for doing rear cylinder? Front piston is at TDC now with cam at base.
Thx
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

longshooter

Flhfxd,

Not enough to be at TDC. You must be at TDCC, compression. Just watch the intake lifter move up, then down. At this point it's on compression stroke. Set piston at TDC and adjust lifters. Repeat at rear cylinder. Done.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

Flhfxd

Yes. Front piston is at TDCC. What are the lobes from inside to out: rear intake / front intake / rear exhaust / front exhaust? Is that right?

Hossamania

Correct. As you look at them left to right: rear exhaust, rear intake, front intake, front exhaust.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Flhfxd

hbkeith

August 09, 2017, 02:49:17 PM #5 Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:54:44 PM by hbkeith
 :idea:

Hossamania

Quote from: Flhfxd on August 09, 2017, 02:38:04 PM
:scratch:  Hang on, that's different

You mentioned from the inside to the outside, that is a little confusing, so I just went from left to right as you look at the pushrods. The inside rods are intake, the outside rods are exhaust.

Flhfxd

Oh boy..... :doh:
Imagine the cam as it is installed, now then, starting at the innermost lobe, which lobe is which as you progress to the outboard lobe?

Hossamania

14Frisco

Quote from: Flhfxd on August 09, 2017, 08:05:16 PM
Imagine the cam as it is installed, now then, starting at the innermost lobe, which lobe is which as you progress to the outboard lobe?
rear intake (innermost), front intake, rear exhaust, front exhaust (outermost)

Flhfxd

Quote from: 14Frisco on August 09, 2017, 08:23:15 PM
Quote from: Flhfxd on August 09, 2017, 08:05:16 PM
rear intake (innermost), front intake, rear exhaust, front exhaust (outermost)

Right. Thats what I said earlier. Just asked to make sure. Thanks.

FSG

Ironheadmike

It really doesn't matter what stroke you are on or which pushrod you start with , as long as the pushrod is all the way down .

thumper 823

TRUE!
I have been reading all this .
Whew , it got too complicated for a very simple procedure.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Flhfxd

Isn't all the info just a way to do both intake and exhaust at same time on same cylinder? You're saying it doesn't matter?  :scratch:  Wondering about the logic. Thanks.

Ironheadmike

It don't matter which pushrod you do first . But you can only do one at a time so the lifter can bleed down before you rotate the engine to do the next one . Let it bleed for at least 15min before moving on .

BKACHE

And I have always found doing the intake first is easier than having the exhaust in the way doing the intake after the exhaust.
Dan

Burnout

I use a different method to adjust valves.

I rotate the motor incrementally and set all valves to zero lash, then rotate the motor through again to check that all are at zero lash.
Then I set the preload 1 valve front then 1 valve rear and by that time I should be able to set the other valve on the front then rear.
That gives time for the lifter to bleed down and avoid any clashing when the second valve is adjusted.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle

Super-simple is when, say, the rear cylinder exhaust exhaust is all the way up, the front cylinder exhaust will be all the way down, and vise-versa, same/same for the intakes.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

The piston does not need to be at TDC or any other position. The only thing that matters is the tappets must be at the bottom of their travel. And a very easy thing to tell.

Suck-squeeze-bang-blow.

Jack the rear wheel off the ground, pull the plugs, and put it in 5th gear. I use my left foot and spin the tire with two fingers on the tappets on the cylinder I'm adjusting. As it spins over, you feel the exhaust tappet go up (blow), and then the intake tappet goes up as the exhaust goes down (suck). When the intake is all the way back down (squeeze), you're good go! Adjust them both, tighten, and wait until you can spin the pushrods with your fingers (tappet bleed down) before moving on to the other cylinder.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber