April 18, 2024, 05:55:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head gasket leak

Started by Panzer Jr., July 14, 2017, 05:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer Jr.

Think one of my head gaskets is leaking. Is there a way t seal it or do I need to remove the head and put in a new gasket?

Hossamania

No way to seal it, it must be removed and reassembled with a new gasket.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Panzer Jr.

That's what I thought. Know how hard it is to remove?

Hossamania

Ron, rbabos, is your source for all things V-Rod.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

Why do you think you have a head gasket leak?
If you have oil dripping between the cylinders, it's most likely the crank case breather tube not sealing well to the air box. Seen a ton of em do that.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

More detail needed. Is it coolant or oil? Oil is generally from the breathers, front or rear. Simple fix as in new hoses and not a lot of money. Over a long period of time the hoses deteriorate and will seep oil from either the front bullet or rear hose . I coated mine with dielectric grease to prevent ozone attack, you know, the "Potty mouth" in air that rots rubber components. If you have coolant leakage (rare) then replace the head gasket.   Don't even attempt head gasket without a service manual. Too many other things to be aware of when pulling the head and they need to be right.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 14, 2017, 06:59:25 AM
Why do you think you have a head gasket leak?
If you have oil dripping between the cylinders, it's most likely the crank case breather tube not sealing well to the air box. Seen a ton of em do that.
Yes, freaks a lot of people out especially with older bikes. Cheap hose replacements and done.
Ron

Panzer Jr.

Rigid,
Thanks on the possibility. I have not dug into it yet but that will be the first thing I check!

Panzer

rbabos, he's checking that also.
Thx
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Panzer Jr.

Thanks for the info about the hose. It was pretty dry rotted. Looking for a new one but can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

rbabos

July 19, 2017, 03:40:54 PM #10 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:03:44 PM by rbabos
Quote from: Panzer Jr. on July 19, 2017, 02:17:06 PM
Thanks for the info about the hose. It was pretty dry rotted. Looking for a new one but can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
Dealer should be able to order one or both in. Don't know WTF it is with dealers lately but never any stock. Not even crap needed for the service bays.
If you need the rear hose, I did a quick search on ebay. Part number 29505-05
https://picclick.com/Harley-Davidson-Breather-Hose-29505-05A-361871049754.html
29504-05A is the front hose.
https://picclick.com/Harley-Davidson-OEM-New-breather-hose-tube-29504-05A-172619916236.html
Google will bring up other online outfits as well.
Change the oring on the front head bullet as well. Any hydraulic shop can match it up. When installing the airbox, first place brass bullet into head, then slide the airbox and hose over it. A dab of grease for easy slip inside the hose.
Ron

Panzer Jr.

Thanks Ron,
Part bought!