April 26, 2024, 10:58:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary chain tensioner

Started by Chippitt68, July 17, 2017, 02:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

2010 ultra. I want to take the auto adjuster out. Will a stock adjustable tensioner fit? Any other suggestions?

FXDBI

Set it and scribe a mark on it, remove and clean with brake cleaner reassemble to your marks on the bench clamp and weld it.  Did mine a couple of years ago its been fine since, being a 2010 your chain has done its stretching and the adjustment will last a long time.
I am sure others have done this has I got the idea right here.    Bob

rbabos

Manual won't fit. If it really bothers you as designed, you can do as Bob suggested. Make sure the correct adjustment is there before scribing and welding.
Ron

92flhtcu

Bikers Choice / Twin Power has a great manual adjuster for this, bolt in, no bs
Need a bigger garage

hardheaded

baker attitude adjuster and be done with it.

jmorton10

Quote from: hardheaded on July 18, 2017, 11:11:32 AM

That's what I have in my 124" RK & it has worked fine for 2 years.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

VDeuce

I've bent 2 of the Bakers. Now running stock auto adjuster welded.

1workinman

Quote from: FXDBI on July 17, 2017, 02:17:23 PM
Set it and scribe a mark on it, remove and clean with brake cleaner reassemble to your marks on the bench clamp and weld it.  Did mine a couple of years ago its been fine since, being a 2010 your chain has done its stretching and the adjustment will last a long time.
I am sure others have done this has I got the idea right here.    Bob
May be NoCents will chime in but I think that is what he does and I going to do the same thing if I ever go in there

ssls6

Why not the Hayden unit?  I was looking at one of those.  Does anyone have a picture of a welded stock auto-adjuster?

Ancient

I tried the Hayden once. It was a howler for sure. Pulled it after a thousand mi. Tried the Baker and it was pretty noisy still at a thousand miles so I pulled it and sold it. I welded my stocker after that and forgot about it.
Greg

Chippitt68

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna weld it.

Ken R

What's wrong with the stock unit?  The newer ones are more robust than the originals and they don't seem to tend to over-tighten.  My 2010 would flex and then over-tighten as a result.  I put the later Rev unit in and sold the motorcycle at 20,000 miles.  My 2013 has its original tensioner and it seems to be working fine with 40K miles on the clock.

98fxstc

Quote from: 92flhtcu on July 18, 2017, 04:24:30 AM
Bikers Choice / Twin Power has a great manual adjuster for this, bolt in, no bs

hadn't seen these before
look like a good unit but $195 ?

I have a Hayden
I was very impressed for about 10000 miles
now springs are broken
when I pulled it apart there were signs of fractures in the shoe
both common problems according to a lot of reviews I have since found

FXDBI

July 18, 2017, 04:37:50 PM #13 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:07:49 AM by FSG
Quote from: ssls6 on July 18, 2017, 02:57:05 PMWhy not the Hayden unit?  I was looking at one of those.  Does anyone have a picture of a welded stock auto-adjuster?

A little 316 stainless TIG on both sides .  Bob

You cannot see attachments on this board.

No Cents

July 18, 2017, 04:52:00 PM #14 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:07:22 AM by FSG
  the guts of my primary consists of a welded stock tensioner, a 32 tooth Game Changer, and one of the initial CompensaVer's, along with an Evo Industries clutch basket, and a Bandit clutch.
  Make sure you scribe the tensioner after you get it set so you have 5/8" cold chain deflection measured at the top of the chain in the center.

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Chippitt68

Quote from: Ken R on July 18, 2017, 04:21:55 PM
What's wrong with the stock unit?  The newer ones are more robust than the originals and they don't seem to tend to over-tighten.  My 2010 would flex and then over-tighten as a result.  I put the later Rev unit in and sold the motorcycle at 20,000 miles.  My 2013 has its original tensioner and it seems to be working fine with 40K miles on the clock.

My bike is a 2010. Just had crank serviced by darkhorse. It's perfect and I want to keep it that way. I don't like the idea that it can overtighten.

Chippitt68

If it's good enuff for fxdbi and no cents, then it's gettin welded

ssls6

Thanks for the pictures.  That seems the way to go.

commander10

rbabos

Quote from: commander10 on July 19, 2017, 08:07:35 AM
Here's the way to go
Well, since those are my pics and tensioner, I can say that method will work but unlike the softail where adjustments can be made with tensioner in place, the bagger primary is too thick to access the bolt. Tensioner needs to be preset, checked for chain free play and then final bolt on. Stitch weld method is fine too and should down the road a new setting is needed those welds will grind off, slight tap and the joint will free itself.
Ron

koko3052

What if you used a hex head? :scratch:

ckwizard

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 18, 2017, 12:14:11 PM
Quote from: hardheaded on July 18, 2017, 11:11:32 AM

That's what I have in my 124" RK & it has worked fine for 2 years.

~John

X2
Works great

rbabos

Quote from: koko3052 on July 19, 2017, 03:58:10 PM
What if you used a hex head? :scratch:
It's tighter then the pic looks. I think I tried the hex but wrenching was a problem. Not impossible but a pain. Settled on a button head.
Ron

1FSTRK

I have used the button head on the Softail and it is faster than getting out a welder. You set the adjuster where you want it, mark it, pull it back off, locktite everything and reassemble.
Done. Next time you need to readjust just repeat.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

FlaHeatWave

No issues / related issues with the OE Tensioner in the '09 SERG, been flawless for almost 60k miles so far.
Minimal wear, appears to have plenty of service life remaining...

Bringing the drivetrain up to operating temperature before employing any engine braking seems to be the trick to preventing any over-adjusting,,, rev-matching on downshifts doesn't hurt either...

'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

1FSTRK

Quote from: FlaHeatWave on July 20, 2017, 01:35:05 PM

No issues / related issues with the OE Tensioner in the '09 SERG, been flawless for almost 60k miles so far.

Bringing the drivetrain up to operating temperature before employing any engine braking seems to be the trick to preventing any over-adjusting,,, rev-matching on downshifts doesn't hurt either...

I agree on getting the drive train up to temp but it takes a lot longer to warm compared to the engine. The downshifting and engine braking should not make the adjuster take a step because the slack is on the top in both those conditions. My problem has always been the main shaft flexing under acceleration load and the adjuster will take up the slack then it is too tight. The stock adjuster has been both the stongest and quietest I have found and with the slight spring action it has is works the best for me once converted to manual in the way Ron and Vic have been doing it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Chippitt68

Ron, is there a link or  can you describe how you did the modification?
Al

rbabos

July 20, 2017, 04:47:59 PM #27 Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:34:39 AM by FSG
Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 20, 2017, 03:03:15 PMRon, is there a link or  can you describe how you did the modification?
Al
The frame needs to be EDM'd since it's extremely hard . It's a 5/16" x 1" slot about mid range of adjustment. The block can be drilled and tapped with decent quality toolage to either 1/4 x 20 or 1/4 x 28. Both will work. Determine the drill position to exit the top as shown in this pic. The bolt is trimmed to be no higher then the top of the block when the block is in range for correct adjustment otherwise the shoe will hit it before hitting the actual flat spot on top of the block. Clean threads and bolt and use blue loctite on final assembly. The pic shows a tapered washer under the button head cap screw with an anti rotation tab for the washer. This is optional and really not required. It just gives the button head a nice flat surface when it mates to the slight taper of the tensioner frame. My camera at the time sucks so sorry for the jagged views.
Ron

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 20, 2017, 02:24:04 PM

I agree on getting the drive train up to temp but it takes a lot longer to warm compared to the engine. The downshifting and engine braking should not make the adjuster take a step because the slack is on the top in both those conditions. My problem has always been the main shaft flexing under acceleration load and the adjuster will take up the slack then it is too tight. The stock adjuster has been both the stongest and quietest I have found and with the slight spring action it has is works the best for me once converted to manual in the way Ron and Vic have been doing it.

'Not speaking of any "special techniques", just being smooth with the throttle until up to temp on the first start of the day...

Isn't the slack is everywhere?? It "shows" more at the (open span at the) top because the adjuster is at the bottom??

'First I've heard of the main shaft flexing under acceleration causing over-adjusting?? (not doubting you, 'just never heard of it before?)

'Like most, I operate the majority of the time <3500, but I've wrung out the '09 when it was stock, SE Stage III, and now with the 117 /DD7, often 2-up / loaded, no issues??
no burnouts though...

Just wondering why some have Primary Tensioner issues and some don't :nix:

'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

Thakery

July 23, 2017, 02:32:59 AM #29 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:55:27 AM by Thakery
If you take the tensioner out and clean it, then remove the pin and tensioning/adjuster spring, grind the thick end of the wedge so it gives a flat and square (to the pin bore in the wedge) surface. Fit a bolt with a slot cut in the head so it locates around the pin in the body where the original spring's pin located. Slide the bolt, with a couple of nuts fitted to it, into the wedge and place the wedge back in place in the adjuster. Fit the adjuster back into the primary and adjust one of the nuts so as to obtain correct chain adjustment, then use the second nut to lock the first on in place.You may have to fit and remove the adjuster a few times to keep setting it in order to get the desired chain adjustment, but it can be done AND as there is no welding or drilling involved it can be done without a machine shop at your disposal and it is cheap. You will have to grind the bolt's hex head in order to fit it but again it is not complex.
This will give you a manual adjuster for a good price, AND as the plastic shoe is spring loaded to the sliding serrated wedge part of the adjuster, it gives a quieter primary than when using the expensive SE one or the V-Twin version. I have a V-Twin version and it makes a bit of noise but loud pipes hide that noise ! 
I also have a V-twin solid sprocket in there but my crank is trued and welded to support the 113" and S&S 640 cam-ed motor which runs 11.5:1 static compression.... CVO heads flowed with bigger valves and CVO110 cylinders bored to take SE 4.060" 11:1 pistons. Mikuni HSR48 on a super G manifold with an Altmann P3 ignition. Not finished jetting it yet and it should improve on the 121 torque and 127 rwhp figures I already have. Cases were bored as well while we were truing, pro-plugging and welding the crank. The cylinders were machined to give a good deck height after a base gasket was used, and a copper head gasket. I also used Ultima roller-rockers which give a slightly increased ratio which sets valve lift to 660 thou and a quicker opening/closing action. We also had to machine the heads to get the compression right and skim 20 thou off the top of the heads to restore valve geometry.....
And all this done in England..... www.fastlaneheadwork.co.uk is the company that built it.... Talk to Alex and tell him Bob sent you.....

Chippitt68

Quote from: rbabos on July 20, 2017, 04:47:59 PM
Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 20, 2017, 03:03:15 PM
Ron, is there a link or  can you describe how you did the modification?
Al
The frame needs to be EDM'd since it's extremely hard . It's a 5/16" x 1" slot about mid range of adjustment. The block can be drilled and tapped with decent quality toolage to either 1/4 x 20 or 1/4 x 28. Both will work. Determine the drill position to exit the top as shown in this pic. The bolt is trimmed to be no higher then the top of the block when the block is in range for correct adjustment otherwise the shoe will hit it before hitting the actual flat spot on top of the block. Clean threads and bolt and use blue loctite on final assembly. The pic shows a tapered washer under the button head cap screw with an anti rotation tab for the washer. This is optional and really not required. It just gives the button head a nice flat surface when it mates to the slight taper of the tensioner frame. My camera at the time sucks so sorry for the jagged views.
Ron

Thanks.

N-gin

Quote from: VDeuce on July 18, 2017, 02:44:45 PM
I've bent 2 of the Bakers. Now running stock auto adjuster welded.

No problems here with mine. Of course it's a lil modified.
I for seen it bending when I looked at how it was mounted. So I made a way for it to have three mounts to the primary instead of the 2 only at the lower.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Ohio HD

The stock adjuster works for me as well. I have the original -A adjuster in my '08, just opened the primary after 40k, the chain slack was fine. The adjuster has a total of 67k on it, the adjuster shoe is worn, so it's getting a -B adjuster. They're supposed to be even better as far as not jumping teeth and over tightening.

ssls6

Just a note to say I opened up my primary case and found my chain tight.  With effort, I could move the chain up and down by maybe a 1/4".  I'm not sure how the auto-tensioner is designed to work but I took mine out and replaced it with a V-Twin 18-8328 manual tensioner.  For anyone else using this manual tensioner, I suggest throwing the allen headed adjuster bolt away and to set it by hand to where you want it then lock it down.

My bike is a 2010.5 black CVO ultra.

planemech

x3 on the Baker adjuster. I bent two of them which the good people at Baker were kind enough to warranty. The last one went up for sale and a welded stock tensioner went back in

Ohio HD

Since I have had the 39929-06B updated tensioner in the bike, I've checked it twice to see how it's doing. It doesn't tighten the primary chan nearly as much as the   39929-06A unit did.

Rockout Rocker Products

Did my 20k service this weekend, that means all 3 fluids and new cams  :hyst:

I have the Baker adjuster and found the same dilemma I had the last time I went to adjust it... the spec is 5/8" - 7/8". The slack was right at 7/8", but one tooth up on the adjuster made it a bit less than 5/8. It's that Pi thing... increasing the diameter of the circle & all. The chain hasn't stretched 1/8" in 15,000 miles. I always hear the dangers of chains being too tight, so I did what I did last time... buttoned it up & see ya in 5k.

:idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FLDavetrain

SO HOT BIKES auto chain adjuster is the bomb
currently 510ci on tap

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

FLDavetrain

currently 510ci on tap

N-gin

September 06, 2017, 01:19:17 PM #41 Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:33:07 AM by FSG
I pulled the cover and snapped a photo.

chain is a lil loose and it was hitting the lower part of primary

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind