March 28, 2024, 12:34:15 PM

News:

Oil light on at high rpm?

Started by JW113, July 26, 2017, 01:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

So I was riding into work today, and wound it up through the gears getting onto the expressway. In 3rd, about 5800rpm, the oil light blinked on. I quickly chopped the throttle, and light remained out the rest of the way to work, but I didn't wind it out after that.

WTF? Anybody ever had that happen before? The tank is clear full of oil, and the feed line is not restricted as far as I can see. Pump cavitation???

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

tmwmoose

Maybe the sending unit wire to the light is grounding out some where with all the vibration :nix: 5800rpm poor ole XL motor

JW113

Yeah, I can check that out I suppose. Poor old ironhead motor??? The stock redline is 6200, and this one has head work and heavy duty valve springs, 7000 is no problem. Of course, the handlebar feels as big around as a 3 lb coffee can at that rpm!

-JW

Panzer

What weight oil are you running and what temps?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

JW113

Yeah, good questions. Am using 20W-50, and it had been running for maybe 15 minutes, ambient air temp about 70F. So I doubt the oil was thoroughly up to temp, but not stone cold either. Could be a factor though. Maybe lay off the high rpm stuff until I know the oil is up to temp.

I traced the wiring harness, no obvious cuts or chaffs that I can see.

One more piece of info, I did a blast through the gears again, and I noticed the oil light "winked" AFTER I let up on the throttle to shift between 3rd and 4th. Which might have been the same scenario as before, happened real fast and I just caught that oil light flash out of corner of my eye.

It seems to be running fine, great in fact. Will just continue to monitor, may grab another oil pressure sender and swap out if it continues to wink at me.

-JW

Panzer

That oil weight and 70* temps won't be the cause of the engine light to come on.
Good  :idea: on changing the sender.  :up:

Let us know will ya?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.