May 08, 2024, 11:16:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 FXDX front motor mount replace

Started by Shooter1, July 26, 2017, 11:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter1

On the front right frame downtube, right in front of the exhaust heat shield, there is a decal that has the ID number and some other data on it. There is a couple of small scuffs about the size of a pencil eraser where the paint and decal has been scraped off, right across from the sharp edge of the heat shield.  This got me to thinking about the front motor mount being bad.

When the motor is off, I have about 3/4" of clearance between the heat shield and the frame tube which seems plenty compare to some I've seen on youtube that needed replacement. On top of the rubber mount where the raised crown is, I can just barely get a thin screwdriver blade tip in between it and the steel part. From what I can see with the mount still installed, some of the rubber around the perimeter seems to have worn or pulled back from the steel.

This all leads me to believe the front mount may need to be replaced but the 3/4" clearance mentioned above seems to be pretty good. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, I've read about shimming the bottom of the mount if there is a gap here when installing the mount. Thoughts on that?  Is it a good idea to replace both the front and rear at the same time?

Thanks.

Hybredhog

How many miles? One indicator I look at is how far the oil pan hangs down in reference to the protector fin on the frame. I like to see the pan higher than the fin, but see a lot of them 1/4"+ below, and the top hiem joint is not level . I believe that "low hangers" are victims of heavy passengers & abuse.  Actually broken mounts do happen, but nothing like the older FL's, but there are a ton of them still limping along with the sag, so until they have real handling issues or noise from bottoming, who know? But not on my bike.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

scoopfraser

If you go to the service bulletins, check out M-1324 and verify that you have clearance.  Is this the original mount that you know of?
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Shooter1

I bought the bike in 2010 with 4K miles on it and it now has 24K on it. I am pretty certain the mount is original. I would say the bottom of the oil pan is almost flush with the fin at the back of the pan, and the front of the pan is maybe 1/8" below the fin. The bike has not been abused, no wheelies, etc. It has been ridden solo most of the time.
I believe the M1324 bulletin details how to shave down the rubber hump on the top of the mount to potentially lessen vibration. My bike vibes a bit I don't know that it's excessive. I do know there is very little space between the top of the hump and the steel part that resides above it so maybe the mount is failing and the steel part will be touching the hump soon and I will be seeing more vibration.
I think I'll just replace the thing and see what happens.
Thanks for the responses

scoopfraser

Check out the Vibra-Technics Predator mount as well...
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Shooter1

An update;  I installed an OEM front mount in the bike. The rubber hump on the top of the old mount was flattened just slightly which leads me to believe the steel mount was contacting it a bit.  With the new mount installed, there is now a bit more space above the hump and, the entire oil pan sits just above the fin on the frame which tells me the old mount was starting to sag.  The space between the front heat shield and the frame increased a very slight amount. The doesn't seem to be any change in vibration. I think the old mount could have done some more miles but was in the process of going south........
Thanks for the insight gents,