May 10, 2024, 12:26:45 AM

News:

..are shovels going back up in value?

Started by One4Tone, August 03, 2017, 03:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One4Tone

..most recently I was told a clean stock shovel model (FLH) in good running condition was used as a down payment on a 200k house. Assuming most down payments arte in the 10% range...that would mean $20k. I asked the new home owner what was the balance of the mortgage and he said around $183k after lawyer's fees, land transfer tax, and various sucker fees. Regardless it seems like a substantial value. There are some that suggest the shovel may be the next in line after pans and knucks to escalate in value due to the fact it's relatively simple to work on and there are no on-board computers. Apparently they are highly sought after in Western Europe. :smiled:

guppymech

I don't know about future values but here's a '71 boatail FX on ebay that's currently bid up to 17K and the reserve hasn't been met.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Harley-Davidson-fx-/182691181066?hash=item2a893e320a:g:qgwAAOSwOEZZe4BR&vxp=mtr
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Ohio HD

Hasn't been sold either. The only guy willing to pay that kind of money, is a wealth collector needing that bike in his lineup. To buy and ride that bike, and pay that for it, well, I don't see anyone doing that.

Julio

Prices are all over the place on shovels here. A '78 FX ad on CL asking $3k a few days ago has been deleted so I assume sold. There's a '67 FL, pretty much stock from looking at the pics, asking $8K. That's what I sold my '69 FL in 1996 for. Most seem to ask ~$5k.
The ads you see asking big bucks for them seem to run for a long time.
Who knows?

JohnFlorida

They,re worth more than when they were new at the dealer but dont count on retiring on one

david lee

17k for a 71. id want $10.000 au  for my 1980-81 lowrider since ive owned since 1984.even then it would be hard to part with it.they sort of grow on you

SanB2013

I got my 76 last year for 4500.00.  Had to put a bit of cash into it to clean up some things and new paint but now she's sweet.  Not sure what it's worth now but no matter I won't part with it until I can't ride anymore.  I'm keeping my eye out for anymore I can find though.  I doubt their values will ever be up there with the Knuckle or Panheads but they sure are great bikes.
1976 FXE

Ohio HD

Well, that '71 HD sold for $19k. Like I suggested, it'll most likely go into a collection somewhere. No one will ride it.

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

People ride Shovels here too....   just not likely a $19k rare Shovel is gonna be a rider.

One4Tone

..a guy down the street has a nice original 1975 fx. He paid $7500 hundred back in 2001. The bike is clean and runs strong. Kick only and starts first kick most of the time. He says as long as he can kick it over and start it it stays with him. It has the points ignition and the round mikuni carb. Also has  the Andrews "B" solid lifter cam, and the staggered dual exhaust is about all the mods. She does have a nice shovel sound you can hear up to a quarter mile away. Offcourse the the dogs don't stop barking till he is way out of sight.

76shuvlinoff

My shovel has so little factory left in it I refer to it as Shovelish ... or if I am feeling nice I just call it Obnoxious.

I have the numbers matching mill on a milk crate in the barn and the 4 speed is on shelf in the basement along with a couple different front ends and piles of stuff I have taken off or just replaced.  The whole pile, bike and all, will never be monetarily worth what I have spent on it but I knew I crossed that line 20 years ago.  I did it for me anyhow. These days I am lucky to burn 3 tanks of gas through her per year, it's been more than a few years since I've bought a tire for her.... the thought of selling off makes my stomach roll over.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on August 04, 2017, 07:35:07 PM
My shovel has so little factory left in it I refer to it as Shovelish ... or if I am feeling nice I just call it Obnoxious.

I have the numbers matching mill on a milk crate in the barn and the 4 speed is on shelf in the basement along with a couple different front ends and piles of stuff I have taken off or just replaced.  The whole pile, bike and all, will never be monetarily worth what I have spent on it but I knew I crossed that line 20 years ago.  I did it for me anyhow. These days I am lucky to burn 3 tanks of gas through her per year, it's been more than a few years since I've bought a tire for her.... the thought of selling off makes my stomach roll over.
im with you but sometimes money talks

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: david lee on August 04, 2017, 09:15:37 PM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on August 04, 2017, 07:35:07 PM

im with you but sometimes money talks

Yeah I know.  I'd regret it later but after 24 years I think if I were to sell it would be a clean break, the whole pile. Any related tools, factory and aftermarket junk, even the broken stuff plus the bike in one quick cut.  Then I'd probably drink for 3 days.  :hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

guppymech

August 05, 2017, 06:00:56 AM #14 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:10:29 AM by guppymech
I'm not wishing that Shovels go up in value, but they are the last tie to the old way the MoCo built bikes.  EVOs and later bikes have different frames, they don't sound or look as good (not throwing stones).  There's a guy in Chicago (motonit.com) that seems to always have nice stockish FX(E) bikes for sale at 8-10K and they don't hang around long.  I always lusted for one but couldn't afford it at that price.  I'm sure nobody is wishing for the prices to go up like that '71, we'd be priced out of the market like the current state of the car hobby.

P.S. the dogs bark like mad at my Shovel also, but not my EVO Sporty.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Mule

Good clean unmolested shovels go for good money, Franken shovels that are worn out go cheap...

Brrrap

I've been rebuilding the wife's '79 for so long it might actually be worth something by the time I'm done!
[attach=0]
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

david lee

Quote from: Brrrap on August 05, 2017, 07:31:22 AM
I've been rebuilding the wife's '79 for so long it might actually be worth something by the time I'm done!
[attach=0]
is that a 1200

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

crock

Not trying to hijack this thread but that scooter on your workbench has my eye Brrrap, What is that, if you don't mind? :scoot:
Crock

Brrrap

1969 Kawasaki Coyote minibike. Santa gave us one for Christmas in 1969. My first powered 2 wheels at 10 years old. They've become rare and pricey. I have the complete bike and as soon as time allows, It'll get restored as close to museum quality as I can get it. I could go on for days the memory's that bike represents to me, my brothers and sisters. I was born into the bike culture and Dad wanted to get us rolling early on. We lost him to a tragic accident summer of '70 but the seed had already been planted. I built my first Harley out of pieces and have been riding them for nearly 40 years now,,,,, I'm Blessed!  :chop:

david lee

[attach=0]
that looks like a pleasure to ride

crock

Crock

Ohio HD

[attach=0]

That's pretty much how we would strip down FL's to ride back in the day. It's a good look!    :up:

Brrrap

We added the rear crash bars this time around. This bike has a long history with us. She thinks fiberglass bags are on the horizon and has spoken specifically that she retains the right to let this bike fall over. Something about our youth and dropping the bike a few times, alcohol -n- weed may have played a factor back then! The fairing is freshly repainted as are all the tins on this. The fairing will be added later if she cares for it. Also worth noting is, in our plannings, we are on the hunt for a "CLE" sidecar complete. Something to be stashed for future addition. She's 56, been packing behind me for over 35 years, it'll be her first bike. We've owned this bike and traveled many memories on it in the past. It slipped to her brother for the better part of a decade and we bought it back, for her. She knows I'm a humble, competent builder and orchestrated a total tear down just shy of anything that might disrupt the factory stickers on it. Patina mostly intact. Still we freshened the engine and transmission, all bearings, gaskets and wiring replaced. I know this bike well, seems I always have. I'm well seasoned to deal with the everyday issues of a "troublehead" they make me smile as they "Do their thing". The tool bag is always with me and on the Panhead. I can save most any moment, But,,,,,, My 2016 FLHTP "Police model" scares me! I'm helplessly "Old School"

Brrrap

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 06, 2017, 03:09:17 PM
[attach=0]

That's pretty much how we would strip down FL's to ride back in the day. It's a good look!    :up:
God bless you man, It escapes some, but not all! Good to know we still exist!

76shuvlinoff

QuoteI'm helplessly "Old School"

I jumped from a shovel with a pretty solid tool kit to TC with a folding combination set of torx/allen wrenches and a tire plug kit...... and a cell phone..... and a credit card.  :embarrassed:
 - Ernest Hemingway

Brrrap

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on August 06, 2017, 06:42:01 PM
QuoteI'm helplessly "Old School"

I jumped from a shovel with a pretty solid tool kit to TC with a folding combination set of torx/allen wrenches and a tire plug kit...... and a cell phone..... and a credit card.  :embarrassed:
Yep, pretty much same here. :embarrassed:

One4Tone

This could be the  value of running a shovel..simple fix.a basic tool kit, tire patch kit, a 12 volt compressor, 6 cyl.chev points, a condenser, auto advance unit, piece of gas/oil line, a master link,spare inner tube, one headlight bulb, one 1157 tail light bulb, throttle cable, clutch cable, can of brake fluid...and some caulk to make a temp. gasket...good to go to Sturgis

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

david lee

a mate of mine had a stipped 68 flh troublesome but was a nice bike.seemed to need attention before every run.can you post a pic of your pan.there getting rare to find. thanks

Brrrap

Quote from: david lee on August 07, 2017, 02:56:34 PM
a mate of mine had a stipped 68 flh troublesome but was a nice bike.seemed to need attention before every run.can you post a pic of your pan.there getting rare to find. thanks
http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=99.300

david lee

Quote from: Brrrap on August 08, 2017, 07:11:30 AM
Quote from: david lee on August 07, 2017, 02:56:34 PM
http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=99.300
wow panheads still exist.not in australia that i see

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Mule

When my wife got sick and needed surgery I sold my 62 pan to a guy in New Zealand!

One4Tone

..that is one sweet panhead..next to the knuckle among the best looking motors Harley produced...thanks for sharing :beer:

Winston Wolf

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 04, 2017, 06:17:42 PM
Well, that '71 HD sold for $19k. Like I suggested, it'll most likely go into a collection somewhere. No one will ride it.

I think the 71 FX is the one of the most expensive shovelheads. You might see a mint original 66-69 go for around the same money. I have a friend that sold a pair of them (FX's) for 50,000$ over 10 years ago. I ride mine to some events and around town when I feel like it, but not that often. Mine is nicer and more correct/original than any of the ones I've seen sell lately; I wouldn't even consider selling it for less than 25k. 

The key to value in a shovelhead is a desirable model, and as stock as possible. A Frankenstein 81 Fx isn't worth more than a couple grand. An original paint 66 FLH however, that's a different story.

One4Tone

..well apparently according to the add of the "boattail"...the 71 superglide sold for $19,000 dollars. At this price one has to assume that certain models shovels are indeed going up in value. So there is hope for all us shovelhead owners :baby:

Mule

Most shovelhead riders  don't ride and keep them because of their value, but rather because they enjoy what a shovelhead is ,maintenance  and upkeep is part of that.

dablaze

QuoteYeah I know.  I'd regret it later but after 24 years I think if I were to sell it would be a clean break, the whole pile. Any related tools, factory and aftermarket junk, even the broken stuff plus the bike in one quick cut.  Then I'd probably drink for 3 days

Mark, ya just couldn't go there...you would have to ditch your nickname too and we wouldn't know ya no more!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

yarddogg77

I haven't had many Harleys, in fact, I have 2 now, and I've only rode one of them once, lol. As soon as I got the Shovel I tore it down to make some preference changes. It's far from original with an S&S motor. But I really like it. I think the Shovel is my favorite bike. The pans are cool for sure, but not exactly user friendly. I would love to have a knuckle, even if it were a replica, but for a rider, I think Shovels are as modern and old as I want to go. It looks cool, easy to work on, starts with a button, and sounds great.
My shop has a grass floor and really high ceiling... Yard - Dogg

david lee

Quote from: yarddogg77 on August 23, 2017, 06:24:55 PM
I haven't had many Harleys, in fact, I have 2 now, and I've only rode one of them once, lol. As soon as I got the Shovel I tore it down to make some preference changes. It's far from original with an S&S motor. But I really like it. I think the Shovel is my favorite bike. The pans are cool for sure, but not exactly user friendly. I would love to have a knuckle, even if it were a replica, but for a rider, I think Shovels are as modern and old as I want to go. It looks cool, easy to work on, starts with a button, and sounds great.
yep that magic button

Snuffâ„¢

I don't think their value are going back up (except '66-'69).  Been seeing an '82 EC Classic sitting out for sale down the road from me for the past 3 months.  Finaly stopped and asked about it, $6500 and not firm on the price.  Bike is clean and ~95% original.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

a_disalvo

Bought new in 1979, listed for $4,800.00, paid $4,300.00 1980's were on the floor, same bike w/ unleaded gas 80" for $5,600. Over the years I have put over $15,000 into the motor and the rest of the bike, it is a part of my life and my son already told me he wants it when I go. So it's not for sale!!! Frank[attach=1]

Ohio HD

Bought this '77 Super Glide in '79 from the original owner had 4,300 miles on it. I don't have a photo of the original look of the bike, just this one, being about the 3rd iteration of color tanks and fenders. I gave $3,200 for it, it was like a new bike. I owned it twice, had sold it and bought it back six years later. I can't begin to think the amounts I dropped in it, but I'll guess at $13,000 over the years. I sold it out right the last time I owned to an HD dealer, this was in 1995. They wrote me a check for $7,500. If I had the bike today and was in the same shape, paint, 98" motor, etc., it's still only worth about $7,500. So I don't see the value has increased. They hit a peak and they've pretty much stayed there.   

As Snuff said some bike will demand more money, and purely original bikes will pull more as well. But it's all about original condition.

[attach=0]

76shuvlinoff

My 76 Frankenshovel with an extra engine and transmission and a pile of junk might add up to $10,000, I'd be lucky to get $4000.  I've had it since 94, didn't put a full tank of gas through it this year.   

My priorities have gone to hell  :hyst:
 - Ernest Hemingway

tomcat64

are shovels going up,, sure,, genny shovels are for sure, and nice original 70's bikes are too,, but there are not many original shovels out there. you can't believe how many people come in here trying to sell there "original" shovel, and when I say ,, "so the paint, pipes, carb, air cleaner are all factory, 90% of the answers are,, "well,, no not that stuff, but the rest is,, well except the wheels and the handle bars"  :banghead:

david lee

Quote from: Mule on August 10, 2017, 06:30:42 AM
When my wife got sick and needed surgery I sold my 62 pan to a guy in New Zealand!
what was that worth

david lee

Brrrap

Quote from: david lee on September 18, 2017, 03:07:49 PM
so why is one fx better than the next?
Condition affects FX and effects affect fX. Expect neglect to affect FX too.  :teeth:

Hossamania

What is the rarest type of Harley Davidson?
A bone stock machine, unmolested, not even a sticker removed.
You would be hard pressed to find one, new or old, in any parking lot.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Hossamania on September 19, 2017, 05:14:16 AM

The Unicorn.
 - Ernest Hemingway

darbone8

I've kept my 69 FLH as close to stock as possible but I'm not going to drive myself nuts appeasing rivet counters.  I love the way he thing looks and rides and that's what matters to me

tomcat64

Quote from: Hossamania on September 19, 2017, 05:14:16 AM

we have an 81 FL heritage edition here, otherwise know as the "peas and carrots bike" it has a factory side car! only around 740 of the bikes were  built and from the best of our knowledge 3 or less with a sidecar,,

tommy g

Quote from: Brrrap on September 18, 2017, 06:34:40 PM
Quote from: david lee on September 18, 2017, 03:07:49 PM
so why is one fx better than the next?
Condition affects FX and effects affect fX. Expect neglect to affect FX too.  :teeth:

Cool little brain teaser you affected there.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

One4Tone

...when I take my shovel out...to a run or an open house there are very few if any shovels out there. Honestly it feels great to show the younger riders the bike. The old timers appreciate it. When it starts first kick it brings back smiles on most. There is no doubt in my mind a bone stock shovel will maintain a decent value in the future especially as the new bikes prices keep going up.

Snowyone

I'm wandering around Sturgis main drag this year and was hardly a Shovel to be seen. I understand why because most folks ride for pleasure and are not into tinkering.  I started going to Sturgis in 81 on my new 1980 80" FXWG with the flame job.  It was my only bike for 18 years and don't remember too many trips that were tinker free.  When I bought it new in 1980 it was my first Harley and after riding it for a week went and got my bike endorsement. Because it was my first Harley I didn't realize what a vibrating beast it was.  I headed down the Alcan Hwy from Fairbanks where I was living at the time and left a trail of parts and luggage along the HWY.  Learned Loctite was like American Express "Don't leave home without it".  Anyway my point is the reason there aren't many untouched stock shovelhead bikes around is you had to modify to stay on the road if you rode them.  Still have the beast and there is not a lot of stock stuff left but it's part of me and it doesn't take up much room though it has 4 roommates.  Holly crap is that a shovel on Main Street.  Yup they are, in my opinion' the best sounding Harley sporting drag pipes!

76shuvlinoff

When I rode into Milwaukee for the 100th, on my then still stock 76 FLH, I got a few  "Shovel!"  yells and thumb's ups from the sidewalk.  It was on the ride home that the SUV separated me from the bike. After the bones knitted the modifications started with reckless abandon. At least I didn't cut the frame.
 - Ernest Hemingway

farmall

The recession is long over, the economy fully recovered and prices are back up. They are pretty flat corrected for inflation except for collector pieces.

If you want some fun you can correct for inflation using this: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Even new HD prices for basic models haven't gone up much. (Loaded dressers for the wealthy are high dollar but it's only money.)

How much does "value" matter if ya bought em to ride? I bought my bikes to ride and DGAF what they bring at my estate sale. Lack of originality will be someone else's problem too. I changed what I wanted to suit my use case which was daily transportation. I ain't running an 'effin' shrine.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteI changed what I wanted to suit my use case which was daily transportation. I ain't running an 'effin' shrine.

:hyst:  :up:

That's pretty much how I've treated my 76 for 23 years. Now I barely ride it and I'm thinking going old might be new.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dirtymike

Thanks for placing perspective on the subject Farmall. Ride em like you stole them, cause if you don't someone else will. Dirty

Ohio HD

Not that many grade #2 Shovels around, so yeah, I can see the price. Your average garage kept sorta still stock Shovel, not even close to that price. Maybe 15% of that number.

That's also a very rare model to boot. I have a friend with an original boat tail rear section in his barns rafters. Won't get rid of it.

HotRodShovel

Winston, that 71 is immaculate!!!  hard to believe its so clean.  As beautiful as it is, it is NOT the rule but the exception.  The only thing left stock on mine are the heads and cases and they have been modified for big bore.  Nothing else is HD, all American but not HD.  I think thats closer to the norm these days. Kind of a shame but what the hey, its fun.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dirtymike

I wouldn't pay 33 grand for an airplane. Ride em like you stole them, cause if you don't someone else will. Dirty

72fl

My 72 is far from stock, I didn't build it for someone else I built it for me, I have had the Ol' girl 16 years and she is currently getting a facelift a very expensive custom one at that. When I bought my bike it did not have the original bags or fairing, all the sheet metal was factory, I sold that stuff off to finance my first build. As faith would have it I purchased a stock black set of fairing and bags that sat in my basement for 5 maybe 10 years, I sold that stuff to a guy who needed it to go back to factory stock FLH. One day I want to purchase a as close to stock 61 FLH as I can as that was the year I was born, as it is right now I am unable to ride because of Health issue's but some day I will be back in the saddle. My wife asks me why are you redoing your bike if you are unable to ride ? I tell her I was once offered $25k for MY bike by some asshat that had money beyond and he asked me whats under that cover over there ? I tell him oh thats my 72 what are you asking for that ? I tell him No sorry its not for sale, he tells me oh ya everything is for sale at the right price, I informed him that it was time for him to leave that he just doesn't understand. So with all this being said I have had in the neighborhood of 5 new dressers and 6 or 7 other used Harley's and ya know none of them held a candle to my Ol' Shovelhead, NOBODY has a bike any where near what what I have created for ME, so if it sits in the garage waiting for me to take her for a spin and stretch her legs some day, I absolutely know I will have that exhilarating feeling that I had the day I bought her. And ya know I have not been able to ride for 3 years now but I am bound and determined that one day we will be In The Wind again. :bike:

Hossamania

A couple (dozen) pieces and she is right back to stock!

ViseGrips

Hossamania

friday

the only time a shovel value goes up is when theres a japanese bidder

One4Tone

I was once at a Detroit swap meet (8th mile and Woodward)..2 buildings full of vendors...every time someone fired up a Harley the whole place roared and cheered. It was way back around 1990. A guy had a whole stack of 750 Honda engines maybe 15 or more...a guy wheeled an old rat bike (Harley...they spoke for a few minutes)..next thing the Honda vendor wheels the Harley away and the new guy takes over the bench with all the Honda parts...I allways wondered about that swap deal.

Mule

The Japanese are at the antique show and swap here every year and buy pan and shovel stuff up by the truck load for shipping back to Japan...

david lee

every bikes got a price.finding a buyers another story

shovelbill

something is only worth........what someone is willing to pay.
build it, bust it.....figure out why