April 25, 2024, 08:08:32 PM

News:

Top end tick.

Started by FDT, October 02, 2020, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FDT

October 02, 2020, 06:22:26 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:41:51 PM by FDT
Hi guys looking for some advice.
103 TC running ezy start cams and ported heads has developed a top end tick once it get hot. I have replaced the lifters and set the preload on them, using S&S pushrods. The bike has set for a couple of years with periodic starting during that time and never been a problem until i took it for a short ride and then i could hear the tap. Cold start it is quiet but after a couple of minutes of idling it starts to get louder. I checked over the valve train while i was replacing the lifters and it had oil under the rocker covers, no blockages in the rocker arms and every thing seemed pretty normal. Could it be a valve seat problem, they have been cut to run 1.9 in valves, std ex valves.
One other thing i have noticed is the front exhaust has a smoke wisp from the header like it has oil on it, not all the time though, i pulled the header and didnt find anything unusual.
I did also do an oil change when it first appeared and used syn 3 20w50 which helped initially but is still there to some degree although not as bad as before the change.

Rockout Rocker Products

Try Spectro 25-60 dino oil, and have a look around my website  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FSG

Quoteand set the preload on them

what did you set it to?

jamminhd2000

Possibly an exhaust leak? Jimmy

FDT

Quote from: FSG on October 02, 2020, 09:05:05 PM
Quoteand set the preload on them

what did you set it to?
Initially i was using limiters in the original lifters and had them 1 turn from bottom. When i replaced the lifters to see if that was my problem i set them at 4 turns.

FDT

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 02, 2020, 08:57:18 PM
I have rockout lockers, i had a spare set there so i put them in after the noise began, but didnt solve my issue.

FDT

I used to use 10w40 , but since have gone 20w50, it did make it a bit quieter, but it was still there. Have not tried dino oil yet.

FDT

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on October 02, 2020, 09:30:07 PM
Possibly an exhaust leak? Jimmy
It sounds more central to the motor, and more so over the throttle body. Can injectors contribute to a tick ?

Hillside Motorcycle

That IS a good oil. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tbird

Don D

Some times excessive spring pressure and lifters that have too much leak are the root cause. If the heads have been excessively milled there are other potential issues. There is a root cause and oil and lifter preload are just band aids to fixing things. That said the spectro oil can't hurt, it is very high quality and carries a higher viscosity index (VI) than Redline 20/60, 210 VS 156. The VI number tells a lot.

FDT

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 04, 2020, 06:24:13 AM
Some times excessive spring pressure and lifters that have too much leak are the root cause. If the heads have been excessively milled there are other potential issues. There is a root cause and oil and lifter preload are just band aids to fixing things. That said the spectro oil can't hurt, it is very high quality and carries a higher viscosity index (VI) than Redline 20/60, 210 VS 156. The VI number tells a lot.
What has got me is one minute it is not there, and after a 2 minute ride it just appeared. This engne combination has been the same for a number of years. But this was the first ride for a couple of years, albeit only a 2 minute ride, and it always got periodic starts over those couple of years. i agree preload settings and different oil viscosity are only band aids to what the issue actually is.

Propflux01

I am also chasing a tick in my upper end as well. Since yours has suddenly 'come about' perhaps you should pull the tops and check the shaft clearance, or see if a crack has developed on the rocker stands, and is growing with heat, causing your issue. Oil is not going to fix your issue any more than turning up the radio. On mine, my clearance is extra large, so I asked here if shims would help or other advice. hearing no other, I went ahead and installed the shims. I am to button up this week and see if my issue changes. You might want to go that route just to see if something indeed, has broken or come loose.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

FDT

Quote from: Propflux01 on October 04, 2020, 07:55:18 PM
I am also chasing a tick in my upper end as well. Since yours has suddenly 'come about' perhaps you should pull the tops and check the shaft clearance, or see if a crack has developed on the rocker stands, and is growing with heat, causing your issue. Oil is not going to fix your issue any more than turning up the radio. On mine, my clearance is extra large, so I asked here if shims would help or other advice. hearing no other, I went ahead and installed the shims. I am to button up this week and see if my issue changes. You might want to go that route just to see if something indeed, has broken or come loose.
I did have the top covers off when i replaced the lifters, but as i expected it to be a lifter i didnt pay close attention to the rockers, they were not broken and nothing too obvious stood out, the bolts were tight and re torqued as per specs, but yes i will need to pull the covers off for a closer inspection now.

FXDBI

Quote from: FDT on October 04, 2020, 10:23:55 PM
I did have the top covers off when i replaced the lifters, but as i expected it to be a lifter i didnt pay close attention to the rockers, they were not broken and nothing too obvious stood out, the bolts were tight and re torqued as per specs, but yes i will need to pull the covers off for a closer inspection now.

When your in there check and make sure your springs have enough clearance in the bottom rocker boxes, different springs and more lift they might be just touching when hot.  Bob

kd

Quote from: FXDBI on October 04, 2020, 11:28:54 PM
Quote from: FDT on October 04, 2020, 10:23:55 PM

When your in there check and make sure your springs have enough clearance in the bottom rocker boxes, different springs and more lift they might be just touching when hot.  Bob

I had a rocker cover that would change shape and cause the rocker to just lightly touch.  It started as the engine heat climbed and didn't leave a real mark other than a dark stain from the oil.
KD

FDT

Just an update on my ticking noise, turned out to be an intake seal. Never heard of an intake seal making a ticking noise but i changed it out and noise is gone. It did always sound like it was coming from an injector.