March 28, 2024, 10:50:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pan cover felts- who runs 'em?

Started by greybeard_541, July 13, 2017, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard_541

Pulled a pal's motor apart yesterday to find one cover without a felt, the other head it was laying on the rockers (not doing much good there).

So- does anyone just go without???

Thanks in advance!

Ohio HD

Back when I fooled with Pans, I usually found them as you did, and removed them permanently. They don't do all that much for sound deadening IMHO.

Deye76

I guess it depends on the covers, some echo. I used the felts and they helped. YMMV
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

58Tin

I've left the felts out of steel covers -it was 30 or more years ago but the top end had quite a howl. The aluminum covers are not  noisy without the felts. It is my understanding that once the felts become saturated with oil the oil will slowly drip onto the rocker arms to provide some initial lube for an motor that has been sitting a while.

CraigArizona85248

I think the extra lube is sort of wishful thinking. After an hour or two of sitting you probably won't get anymore drips. I used felt in my tin covers to cut down on rocket noise. On my cast aluminum CCE covers they are not needed.

-craig

Brrrap

I run with the felts, and yes, they come off eventually. I was tipped off to using "Arrowhead" to attach them last time I was in there. Don't know if it's holding up still. My Pan's been awesome for the last 3 years. This winter I'll go in and take a look and replace the weeping gaskets on my covers.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

greybeard_541