March 29, 2024, 04:08:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

turn signal bulbs.

Started by trex, December 15, 2018, 07:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trex

I wanted to put LED bulbs in my turn signals on my 03 FXD. I pulled the bulb out of one of the rear signals expecting an 1157 but it was a GE 199, never heard of that before but thought ok, so I went online to a place called superbrightleds.com and did a search and ordered some LED, even called and asked if it was correct and the guy said yea, it'll work. Got the bulbs today and they don't fit, the pins look the same but it just won't screw in. So I took a bulb out of the front to try there and wtf, the bulbs in front are 1157's. The pins are offset where the GE 199's in back the pins are not offset. What the hell is up with that?

Coyote

It's likely a single filament 1156

Breeze

Your front signals are also running lights (dual elements), your rear are signal only (single element). Note the two contacts vs one contact on the bottom of bulb. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

trex

Yea thanks Breeze, I wasn't paying attention to detail when I decided I wanted LED for my signals. I looked in my SM last night and saw two no.s for the signals, one for front and one for back. Strange but I had never noticed that the front ones were the only ones that were always on and signaled too. Also I saw at J&P that to run LED for signals I would need a load equalizer whatever that is. Not worth the trouble

Hossamania

Yes, you would need a load equalizer, but they are not that expensive if you really want to put in LEDs. A simple install.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

trex

Na, I'll stick with the regular bulbs