March 28, 2024, 06:10:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1966 Servi-Car

Started by dubepj, March 16, 2013, 09:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Found a guy selling a 1966 service car.  Just about original except paint and it has racing cams and different gearing so it's got more top end. 
He tells me it's no good on the highway and that I can't expect to run 60 mph for extended time.  He says I'll destroy the engine if I cruise at 60 for a 100 miles. 
What do you guys think???  I was going to buy to go to events about 100 mile radius from home.
Thanks

wheelie1239

He's right. I know a guy that has on and he don't like pushing it past 45 mph. It is a real dog, especially on hills. But he bought it for the same reason that you are thinking, cool to have at a show. But it don't compare to his shovel. That 45 is a small motor. Those flatheads are only about 7 to 1 on compression ratios. So it will run on just about anything. Even if you put a 80" flathead motor in it, it would not want to run at 60 steady. Friend of mine has a 1947 80" flathead bike and it is screaming at 60. He rides it on the back roads putting around 20-40. Real cool machine.

Buy it and take the long slow ride to the shows...

Jaycee1964

I have a 49' WL with a 45" and ran from NH to Sturgis on it in 97'  Kept at 55MPH the whole way with no issues other than time to get there.  Just did normal fill the oil when you fill the fuel.  The 45" is a bullet proof motor that has logged more miles under some of the harshest conditions of wartime.  With propper care I would drive one anywhere.  It was one of Harleys most reliable motors ever IMO.  Just not a power house in any way.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

servi53

I put a 32 tooth motor sprocket on mine, slow out of the hole but will run 55 all day on the road

Grumpy : (

The guys at H&B Cycles in Ocala moded one for a Shovelhead engine.  It was in progress when I saw it, don't know how that turned out.

Would love to have one for around town.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

panic

Friend of mine has a 1947 80" flathead bike and it is screaming at 60

The big flathead uses the exact same transmission and rear wheel as the knucklehead. His problem: the motor and/or transmission sprockets were wayyy too small.

The big motor doesn't fit the 45 frame, the motors are almost completely different (except for oil pumps and distributors)