March 28, 2024, 11:43:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2001 RK inner primary shaft seal

Started by 1canvas, May 18, 2019, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1canvas

I haven't had or worked on HDs for some time until I got an 01 RK a few years ago. I had to put on a new tranny shifter shaft and seal.
Here is what gets me though, the inner primary shaft seal. It was marked oil side and the manual stated that but installed it looks backwards to any seal I ever seen on a car or bike.
I just wonder if the seal was marked wrong.
My hopes are that someone familiar with this would chime in. The other thing that I found strange was instead of inner primary bolts with the nylon washers on them these bolts had none and the manual says to gunk the bolts up with RTV.
2001 Road King

Ohio HD

1canvas

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 18, 2019, 07:39:55 PM
If the inner primary is spot faced.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-flat-washers

Not sure what spot faced is but as far as the shaft seal the one I replaced was in the same way. Someone familiar with this year inner primary would know what I have.
2001 Road King

smoserx1

That seal is marked correctly and yes it does look like it should be the other way, but it is not.  Later models did use sealing head bolts for the inner primary, but models that use the locking tab clips inside the primary case need the RTV.  Don't put it on the threads, all you need a paper thin coating on the backside of the inner primary around each bolt hole where it mates to the engine and tranny cases.

1canvas

Quote from: smoserx1 on May 19, 2019, 05:27:04 AM
That seal is marked correctly and yes it does look like it should be the other way, but it is not.  Later models did use sealing head bolts for the inner primary, but models that use the locking tab clips inside the primary case need the RTV.  Don't put it on the threads, all you need a paper thin coating on the backside of the inner primary around each bolt hole where it mates to the engine and tranny cases.

Well then all is good, I just never seen a seal set that way.
2001 Road King