March 29, 2024, 12:39:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Raceway Park, Englishtown closing 1/8 and 1/4 racing.

Started by TXChop, January 17, 2018, 06:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXChop

Sad to see. Spent many nights down there racing cars and bikes and helping friends do the same.
Will sure miss watching the big events down there with my family.

http://www.etownraceway.com/mydocuments/nappfamilyrestructure.pdf

nibroc

dirty jim

mike jesse

Quote from: nibroc on January 17, 2018, 01:31:41 PM
hope that does not extend to beech bend,,,,,, :hug:

Dallas runs a tight ship.
Best track I've been down E. of the Mississippi.

moose

such a loss been going there since 1968.   

much continued success to the Knapp family   great people
Moose aka Glenn-

1FSTRK

Quote from: moose on January 19, 2018, 01:24:42 PM
such a loss been going there since 1968.   

much continued success to the Knapp family   great people

Yep what started out in the middle of no where is now surrounded by houses and people that bought land cheaper because it was by a race track.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

Same thing happens to old airports. We had a developer sue because they wanted to build townhomes right by the airport, but weren't allowed due to regulations meant to protect people from planes crashing into their homes. They sued saying they were denied the right to use their property as they see fit, even though the regs were there for 80 years before they bought the property. Luckily, they were denied. But we did lose another small airport in the area due to sprawl. I think that one shut down due to the land being worth so much more as a development.
We also had a longtime track close down due to housing being built closer and closer, it used to be out in the boonies, but became suburb over the decades.
Sorry to see another track shut down.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

EVOKing94

Sad to see it go.  Over development been squeezing them out for years.  Many good memories from there over the years.  M/C street racing days, Mopar Nationals, Crazy Eddie night of thrills, Swap meets,etc.  We still have Island Dragway for now.

Leed

That really sucks.  I remember going there for the first time in 1970 when I got my DL.

pwmorris

Damn, so sorry to hear that-

State of things to come-
The West Coast (my turf) has already been hammered by tracks closing, racing groups folding, development encroachment, bike and team indifference (screw the track! We might actually be embarrassed there), and on and on.

Look carefully at the Dyno number queens (or those who post their Dyno numbers in their signature..lol...), who SAY they will go to the track but Year after Year, after Year, make excuses after excuses, and never own up to them. They are NEVER going to the track (damn that would be embarrassing....better stay home and pump up my Dyno numbers!), and make excuse after excuse why "they just can't make it to the track this year"......

I guess it is Much Better to brag about big HP, go to the bike hang out and show their Dyno laminated slips to the boys, instead of actually running their bikes at the real Dyno sheet-1340 ft of truth....
This is one one of the reasons that no one talks about-the new guys coming up who think their Harley's are "fast" ...most are simply not willing to walk the talk....putting in the work at a local track (good or bad) and report the progression- Truth. The pain, set backs, slow times, broken parts, and failed expectations are simply too much for the weak to overcome. Scrw that- they simply won't put in the work after failure (why?) to fight thru the failures, setbacks, and slow times (I was sure my Harley would run 10's!") to come out in top-
If only, only they were.........groups, organizations, classes, and local Harley guys could keep the mojo going, no matter where they were located-thank Goodness for the AMRA!

On the West Coast, I'm seeing it simply dying on vine. ;(
90 times out of 100, when I come to the track, I tech in, and the import guys kick ass. I am one of a few alone....yeah, me and my Harley in a sea of imports. Like an odd ball fish in a sea of sharks...

I fight like hell, but, hey they have eliminated almost all their import weaknesses (not like 10 years ago when a Busa made 160 HP with no computer controls, and I had a chance).

They are big, fast, organized, dedicated, and willing to take on a challenge-and guess what....I love them for that.  :up:
The exact opposite of the HD posers....."track? Oh no, I'm going to bike night and hanging with the guys and bragging about my new 124"!" "My Dyno sheet says I have 150 HP! I can't run 11's! That would be embarrassing! Screw that, let's go to the bar!!!"

So, I'm there, grinding, in a sea of superior imports, knowing I'm swimming upstream against a storm of sharks.....Fact...and I'm for sure not fighting and going to the track with my street Harley as hard as I used to, knowing as a HD daily driven street bike, I have accomplished as much or more than any other Harley street guy around. The writing is on the wall-they have me beaten....they know it, they are faster, much faster, and I am finally agreeing with them.

You can only fight for so long, bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Racepres

:agree: Eloquently stated Paul... Long... But Precise!!!!
Glad I'm as Old as I am!!!!

hbkeith

K4FXD

Why would they just stop the drag racing?

Is no one showing up to race.

By keeping all other forms I doubt it is due to public pressure.

Is this the same track that holds the Summer Nationals?
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

1FSTRK

Yes it held the summer nationals. That is precisely the problem, big crowds, out of town people and the loudest of all the racing that goes on there. The other motor sports get some local support because mommy and daddy can take junior over to ride the track but the drag racing is is a larger mostly out of the immediate area group. They have had noise restriction, no running of engines in the morning, night time curfews and a bunch of other rules that became stricter every year.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Racepres

Quote from: K4FXD on February 04, 2018, 10:01:32 PM

The People Racing is never a Problem for any Track nor Association...
If No one comes to Watch, Cheer, support the Sport!!!
Guaranteed to Die..
If we don't fix that, Harley Drags will be Next!!!

TXChop

Quote from: K4FXD on February 04, 2018, 10:01:32 PM

Yes it was the same track. Dont think it was from lack of events. Just the last year alone, i went to honda day(i know, but i help 2 friends build cars), road course event with a friend, Ratchet friday, the summer nationals and trucking nationals. All of the events had very good crowds and were not cheap to enter.
From what i have heard was there was a deal to lease part of the land out that was had a lot of zero's in it. I could be way off, but time will tell.

NCTURBOS

A small group of us used to drive up to E-town on Labor Day Weekends, Buick vs Mustang event. Good times!

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock