March 28, 2024, 12:12:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

need clutch advice

Started by dynajohn, October 29, 2018, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynajohn

Have not been here for a while. Just been enjoying street riding my 03 Dyna FXDX 124 S&S. Decided to do a little drag strip time at the local 1/8th mile track. This is a stock chassis, stock wheelbase, street tire bike that last made 147/151 on the DC VTwin dyno 18 months ago. Not anywhere near being a pro so I was not to disappointed in a best run of 6.98 at 103 MPH with a 1.78 60ft. Biggest problem was the very narrow engagement on the Bandit superclutch that has been in the bike for at least 8 years. No slippage but the engagement point seemed to get narrower the more runs I made. There was a good coat of VHT on the track and good traction so the 60 ft could have been better if I could have slipped the clutch more but the narrow engagement point made that difficult. Coming out at 3000 and getting aggressive caused big wheelys or broke tire loose and it spun all the way through 1st. If I want to do more of this I was thinking a slipper clutch would sure help. Anybody got any suggestions for less than a thousand dollars???

turboprop

Quote from: dynajohn on October 29, 2018, 04:41:15 PM
Have not been here for a while. Just been enjoying street riding my 03 Dyna FXDX 124 S&S. Decided to do a little drag strip time at the local 1/8th mile track. This is a stock chassis, stock wheelbase, street tire bike that last made 147/151 on the DC VTwin dyno 18 months ago. Not anywhere near being a pro so I was not to disappointed in a best run of 6.98 at 103 MPH with a 1.78 60ft. Biggest problem was the very narrow engagement on the Bandit superclutch that has been in the bike for at least 8 years. No slippage but the engagement point seemed to get narrower the more runs I made. There was a good coat of VHT on the track and good traction so the 60 ft could have been better if I could have slipped the clutch more but the narrow engagement point made that difficult. Coming out at 3000 and getting aggressive caused big wheelys or broke tire loose and it spun all the way through 1st. If I want to do more of this I was thinking a slipper clutch would sure help. Anybody got any suggestions for less than a thousand dollars???

Replace that Bandit hub with the oem hub and either a VP84 or VP95 from AIM-Tamachi. You will have to play around with both the 84 and 95 and different springs on the track to get the slip dialed in. Knee jerk reaction from the peanut gallery will be to use the VP95 but that might lockup too quickly. You really have to make a few runs with each, and play around with the springs. The good news is the oem center hub is dirt cheap. Good luck.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

John/1

You could talk to John at Bandit Machine or roam the pits talk to some of harley racers. Maybe some of the guys that drag race will chime in.

1FSTRK

If you can't get it where you want by re-setting the spring pressure on the sportsman, add a Bandit lock-up.
As already recommended give John at Bandit a call.

added
what ramps are you running?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

prodrag1320

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 29, 2018, 09:31:13 PM
If you can't get it where you want by re-setting the spring pressure on the sportsman, add a Bandit lock-up.
As already recommended give John at Bandit a call.

added
what ramps are you running?

:agree:

dynajohn

I misspoke in the original post. This is a scorpion clutch which was installed in my 2003 FXDX by T-Man in 2006 or 2007 I think. Original paperwork for the clutch was destroyed in a house fire. Not sure since I have not opened up the clutch but I expect it had a billet basket. Since it still has the original fibers & steel plates it would make sense to replace those as well as a low profile lockup. It looks like the part number is 618-30-23806 if I have the right part number. I sent a request to Barnett for information as I could not get tech support on the phone this morning.  :up:

1FSTRK

Pull the derby cover and take a quick pic for identification before you spend $. You probably could email it to them.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

dynajohn

Got a call back from Bandit late today and I think I know what my problem is. They are sending me a part for the scorpion clutch that was revised after I bought my clutch in 2006. It should help move the clutch engagement point closer to the center of the clutch lever travel. In addition they advised that I go back to the stock clutch pull and ditch the easy pull that has been on the bike since the clutch was installed. Barnett is providing the revised scorpion clutch part free of charge, great people. Pulling the clutch plates tomorrow check against dimensions they gave me. Going to see how this works out and if clutch pull is to strong I will order the low profile lock up kit. Thanks all as usual this is a great place to get answers.  :up:

John/1

John is a great guy to talk to always helpful, let us know how it all works out.

dynajohn

Got another message from Barnett last night. My Scorpion which was installed in 2006 has 10 frictions & 10 steel plates. The newer Scorpions have 9 frictions & 9 steels. The thicker steel plates help with the disengagement issues. The new clutch pak part number is 306-32-20443 which with the low profile lock up should solve my problem. Thanks all for the advice.