March 29, 2024, 07:41:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

best chain lube for an o-ring chain

Started by jmorton10, April 10, 2019, 03:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

After ripping up three belts I just converted my 07 RK to a rear chain . It is a 530 o-ring chain & the first one I've run since my old Shovel days (it took me 45 minuted to find my chain breaker tool etc. LOL).

Is there any special chain lube people are running these days ?? I beat the hell out of the bike (hence the destroyed belts) if that matters any LOL.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

crock

https://www.amazon.com/Klotz-KLR-Chain-Lube-15-5/dp/B0022ZV8WK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=KLOTZ+OIL+KLR+Chain+Lube+%2816oz+Can%29&qid=1554897140&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Crock

Norton Commando

I no longer use the traditional lube on O-ring chains. It makes a huge mess and doesn't seem to extend the life of the chain compared to no lube. However, I will clean the chain periodically with WD-40 and that's it.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

a_disalvo

I like chain wax, stays where you spray it and doesn't leave a mess. Frank

Ohio HD

Quote from: a_disalvo on April 10, 2019, 06:54:08 AM

:up:

PoorUB

I have had several riders recommend WD40! Again, with the o-ring you realy don't lube into the chain. More just to clean the chain and keep it from rusting.

I have used 80w-90 gear lube but it makes a mess.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fattmann101

i like spray on moly, the rollers are lubed inside and o ring keeps it in, the moly on the chain lubes the outside of rollers against the  sprockets, dosent attract dirt too bad

screem

just a thought on WD-40.. i maintain and rebuild high pressure regulators for use in the Natural Gas bussiness, i have always been instructed to NEVER use WD-40 on o-rings or rubber products, as it is better as drying agent, WD (water Displacing) , for o-rings we always use asymbly lube :oil:

jrgreene1968

Quote from: screem on April 10, 2019, 01:51:21 PM
just a thought on WD-40.. i maintain and rebuild high pressure regulators for use in the Natural Gas bussiness, i have always been instructed to NEVER use WD-40 on o-rings or rubber products, as it is better as drying agent, WD (water Displacing) , for o-rings we always use asymbly lube :oil:

I used to race cross country motorcycles, motocross, etc. I always used maxima chain wax on my o ring and x ring chains, but a friend of mine used nothing but wd40. He got the same life out of his chain and sprockets as I did. The chain wax though don't sling and get all over your bike, like some chain lubes

Eglider05

Quote from: a_disalvo on April 10, 2019, 06:54:08 AM

:up: :up:

bobrk1

I used chain  wax with  good  luck 

mike jesse

Still use the same bottle of ATF fluid I bought probably close to 20 years ago.
I have a small bottle with a needle like tip that will place a drop on each o ring.
Takes me about 5 minutes total and then wipe the chain down with a rag soaked with Kerosene.
Never worn out a chain and sprocket set yet.
Besides, chains have come a long ways since the 60-70's.

TA63

76shuvlinoff

When my O ring chain bike was getting all the miles I wiped it down with a WD-40 soaked rag and hit it with chain wax a few times a season. If nothing else it kept my WWWs clean....  and that's saying a lot on a shovel.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

crock

Quote from: mike jesse on April 11, 2019, 04:00:12 PM
I have a small bottle with a needle like tip that will place a drop on each o ring.
Takes me about 5 minutes total and then wipe the chain down with a rag soaked with Kerosene.

Are you saying you ae running the same chain for 20 years?
Crock

mike jesse

Quote from: crock on April 13, 2019, 05:33:39 AM

No, the same bottle of ATF.

crock

Quote from: mike jesse on April 13, 2019, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: crock on April 13, 2019, 05:33:39 AM

No, the same bottle of ATF.

Just wondering. To me its believable. I always ran Diamond chain and replaced it almost every year. 3 years ago went to an o ring(actually "x" ring) and haven't touched it since
Crock

PoorUB

Quote from: crock on April 14, 2019, 07:40:40 AM

Just wondering. To me its believable. I always ran Diamond chain and replaced it almost every year. 3 years ago went to an o ring(actually "x" ring) and haven't touched it since

Years mean nothing. It really depends on the miles you ride. If you ride the average 3,500 per year the o-ring chain will last a long time. i know a rider that averages 35,000 miles per year. A o-ring chain will not last him for years.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Phu Cat

Have to agree with Poor on using gear oil on endless chains, or any chain, for that matter.  The properties that make gear lube tough enough to withstand the pressure gears put on oil is just what chain thrive on.  Also, WD-40 was never intended to be used as a lubricant.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Phu Cat on April 17, 2019, 12:39:59 PM
Have to agree with Poor on using gear oil on endless chains, or any chain, for that matter.  The properties that make gear lube tough enough to withstand the pressure gears put on oil is just what chain thrive on.  Also, WD-40 was never intended to be used as a lubricant.

PC

The problem with gear oil, motor oil, WD-40 or any oil for that matter is that it will not stay put on the chain at any speed above walking. As mentioned previously, WD-40 is not used to lubricate the chain, instead it's used to clean the chain periodically. Chain lubrication relies on the special grease that is trapped in the critical bearing areas of the chain via o-rings or x-rings.

For non o-ring chains, a conventional chain lube such as PJ1 goes on like water and dries to a relatively stiff-like grease.  This works reasonably well and will stay put better than motor oil or gear oil.

Jason

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Horizonmech

"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

crock

Quote from: Horizonmech on April 17, 2019, 03:16:48 PM
This is very good but hard to find https://cpiroadsolutions.com/product/zep-2000-spray-lubricant/

ZEP products are awesome though I have never seen this paticular product. Looks like it's available on E Bay and Amazon if you can use a case at a time
Crock

MakoHD

Quote from: screem on April 10, 2019, 01:51:21 PM

YUP you are right it also loosens up the chain.... chain wax works great. i put gas on rag wipe the chain with it a few times then i spray fresh wax. i like to do it every 1000 miles.

No Cents

April 23, 2019, 09:14:07 PM #23 Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:17:13 AM by No Cents
  John...reply #2 nailed it.  :wink:
I've used that stuff for years. No fling...no mess.
It works great!

[attach=0,msg1293749]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

nibroc