April 24, 2024, 01:53:42 PM

News:

dyna wide glide wiring

Started by roadkingdresser, April 11, 2019, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

can anybody tell me where the handle bar wiring plugs in. the harness goes into the center of the frame and i don't want to take all that out. trying to put different bars on and need to extend the wires .
roadkingdresser

Prostock

There in the frame, most of the time you don't have to extend wires on the dyna's.

roadkingdresser

are there plugs in there or are they a part of the harness? the reason i ask so i can run the wires thru the bars. thanks
roadkingdresser

Scotty

Quote from: roadkingdresser on April 11, 2019, 11:44:06 PM
are there plugs in there or are they a part of the harness? the reason i ask so i can run the wires thru the bars. thanks

Take the tank off and take out the rubber plug and slowly pull the wiring out and all the plugs will be revealed.
There is a service loop of wiring that comes out in front of the rear wheel splash guard that you can cut the cable tie off to get some length to push back into the frame to pull out from the front.
When putting it back in pull gently at the rear while pushing in at the front.
If what I said doesn't make sense it will when you start doing it.
All the wiring runs inside the frame backbone.

Skin

The last Dyna I did any wiring on, the harness ran through the frame and down under the battery and electrical tray. Look in front of the rear tire down low and there's a plastic cover, under the cover is the harness looped in there. It can be a pain in the ass but you can pull it out and then you can pull the harness from the front of the frame to access the connections.

Skin

Scotty beat me to it in a matter of seconds.

dirty jim

I have a 2015 FXDL, the handle bar wiring connectors are about 4-5" in from the frame neck.

Rusticwater

Quote from: roadkingdresser on April 11, 2019, 11:44:06 PM
Like others said there is usually plenty of wire harness stuffed into the neck for modest changes in handlebars. You'll see the 2 rubber plugs on either side of the neck and the plastic cover underneath. Refer to the online parts diagrams if need be. Creative searching may reveal some service info too.  :wink:

You don't mention the model year. In 2012 the Dynas went to canbus which means smaller wire bundles so you 'might' not have to de-pin the connectors. On older models like my 2010 you'll definitely have to de-pin the connectors to fish the wire bundle through the bars. Make thorough notes ahead of time...

Some of the GMA catalogs throughout the years have some good info about throttle and clutch cable lengths needed for various handlebars too.
Support the Maine lobster industry