April 26, 2024, 09:24:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Knockoff Tour Packs

Started by Jim Bronson, April 12, 2019, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Anyone have experience with these? They're all over ebay for less than $300 in black only. Others are selling color-matched versions, but by the time you add the hardware, they're pushing near the price of an OEM version. I suppose they could be prepped and repainted using rattle can paint, but I doubt they would look anywhere as good as OEM.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

calif phil

The ProPad version is pretty good. 

poboy

I have 3 friends that are pretty happy with Advan Black 2 have the tour pack and the other has the lowers

Jim Bronson

Quote from: calif phil on April 12, 2019, 02:53:29 PM
The ProPad version is pretty good.
Nice, but $1200 for color matched with hardware, and that's for the small one. May as well buy an OEM version.

HogMike

One of our riders got one (don't know what brand) but very flimsy.
He has it for sale and getting oem one.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Jim Bronson

Quote from: HOGMIKE on April 12, 2019, 04:28:29 PM
One of our riders got one (don't know what brand) but very flimsy.
He has it for sale and getting oem one.
:missed:
I read that too somewhere, and once you've bought it, it is probably a headache to return.

lilchief

I used a knock off one years ago but don't remember the brand. It was abs plastic, thicker than oem, and sturdy. The problem was that the oem hinges and latches were a tough fit due the thickness of the plastic. Several times the rivets popped loose on the hinges, and the screws consistently came loose on the latches, even with a dab of loctite. I went to install the newer hidden hinges and matching latches on it, and it was a no go, again, too thick. I ultimatley bought a primered oem lid and bottom from Boardtracker I think, and painted it myself.

Lil Chief

Jim Bronson

Interesting... I didn't know you can buy primered Tour Packs.

FloridaJim5

cheech

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 12, 2019, 06:22:34 PM
Page 798 of the 2019 P&A catalog, top of the chart: King 53000404 $699.95 Chopped 53000405 $699.95
Could also do collision parts, but then you'd have to nickel and dime all the hinges, latches and whatnot.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on April 12, 2019, 07:17:26 PM
Here's a review on a Advan Black tour pak:

https://youtu.be/Go5ASHw5CQo
Thanks. It looks like the best quality and most reasonably priced versus OEM.

lilchief

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 12, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

This was a couple of years ago, and it's not the pak on the 14's & up. It's the King pak. I went with this because I already had the hardware, mount, luggage rack, etc. It was a few hundred dollars cheaper than a painted model, but I had to buy the lid gasket separate and put it all together.

Lil Chief

tomcat64

we just installed an Advanblack inner fairing, fit and finish was terrible. clear coat was nearly nonexistent. I have no experience with the other parts they offer.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: tomcat64 on April 13, 2019, 07:02:21 AM
we just installed an Advanblack inner fairing, fit and finish was terrible. clear coat was nearly nonexistent. I have no experience with the other parts they offer.
I wish you hadn't said that.  :teeth:

The reviews I've read are positive for the tour pack. Just for grins, I called the dealer, and there's a 30 day lead time for my color plus 10 days shipping to the dealer.

kd

Jim, ebay up a used box (maybe with a rack on it too  :wink: ) take it to your local body shop and get it painted with the Harley color you need.  They are available (unless it's  a special CVO resticted issue paint job) .  The body shop will make it shine like a new box from the dealer and you'll end up with less into it latches and all.
KD

Jim Bronson

Quote from: kd on April 13, 2019, 04:57:20 PM
Jim, ebay up a used box (maybe with a rack on it too  :wink: ) take it to your local body shop and get it painted with the Harley color you need.  They are available (unless it's  a special CVO resticted issue paint job) .  The body shop will make it shine like a new box from the dealer and you'll end up with less into it latches and all.
That crossed my mind, but I don't know how much a body shop would charge. I'd have to check. The paint is common Superior Blue, so it should be available to a shop. Thanks.

1workinman

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 13, 2019, 11:51:14 AM
Quote from: tomcat64 on April 13, 2019, 07:02:21 AM
I wish you hadn't said that.  :teeth:

The reviews I've read are positive for the tour pack. Just for grins, I called the dealer, and there's a 30 day lead time for my color plus 10 days shipping to the dealer.
Jim I been down the after market tour pack , never again . Time I got through stiffing up the damn thing with Stainless Steel  under the hinges and latch , re drilling and tapping the holes longer screw that were cross threaded at the start , Hell is was in a hurry to buy the damn thing and used it last summer what a  mistake . Yea it works good now but hell I should have bought a used Harley tour pack . I going to buy a good used Harley Razor for my street glide no more after market for me on the tour packs , I think the brackets are ok that its 

Jim Bronson

Thanks. I'm not looking for a project. I want it to bolt up and be done (Life's too short), and it seems the only way to achieve it is with an OEM version. I may just have to make a sad face and write the check. One way to save a few bucks (maybe) is to buy an OEM tour pack and an aftermarket backrest. I do appreciate the comments.

Justpassingas

A quick check on Craigslist in my area shows 3-4 OEMs with the pad, luggage rack & detach docking kit for around $1000...unfortunately when I was in the market for one none were available for 09 and up and went new from dealer @ 20% off....

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mpo/d/lowell-genuine-harley-davidson-2009-and/6853877745.html
For Duty and Humanity

1workinman

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 13, 2019, 06:18:24 PM
Thanks. I'm not looking for a project. I want it to bolt up and be done (Life's too short), and it seems the only way to achieve it is with an OEM version. I may just have to make a sad face and write the check. One way to save a few bucks (maybe) is to buy an OEM tour pack and an aftermarket backrest. I do appreciate the comments.
Jim I have used the brackets I got on line and they worked good no problems . I have bought the racks , back rest on line discount at Harley also , lot cheaper than up town lol I going to buy a used Razor to carry some beer and snacks lol I prefer the quick docking way to install mine also

Jim Bronson

The HD P&A catalog isn't clear as to whether their tour packs include the backrest, but it looks like they do.

I was watching a video where a guy bought a detachable mounting base from Amazon, and it was pretty bad. It rattled like crazy, so the message is to stay away from the Amazon hardware. However there are some deals on ebay for discounted OEM hardware. I already have the docking hardware for my sissy bar.

The extra cost for my color versus the primed version of the OEM TP is $150, so that's reasonable versus taking it to a paint shop.

The one in the Craigslist link above shows two latches versus one. Maybe the single latch version is a newer model.

cheech

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 14, 2019, 08:42:04 AM
The HD P&A catalog isn't clear as to whether their tour packs include the backrest, but it looks like they do.
Note at bottom of the page I referenced above says they do not include backrest. Picture shows it, but note says no.

QuoteThe one in the Craigslist link above shows two latches versus one. Maybe the single latch version is a newer model.
Yes, the single latch which is very nice compared to the earlier IMHO is part of The 14 up Rushmore change.
Also, be aware you would need to buy the lock kit separately if you want to have the key lock. The dealer can have it matched to your original key.

Jim Bronson

Thanks a lot for the info Cheech.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: cheech on April 14, 2019, 07:10:10 PM

Yes, the single latch which is very nice compared to the earlier IMHO is part of The 14 up Rushmore change.
Also, be aware you would need to buy the lock kit separately if you want to have the key lock. The dealer can have it matched to your original key.
Well I went and did it. My Visa card had a meltdown  :cry:, but at least I'm confident everything will fit. There's a 45 day leadtime, but that's OK. I have a small sissy bag for overnighters.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. They were much appreciated.  :up:

cheech

Can't beat the OEM quality of the tour packs. So you did right. They hold value to, so if you ever want to hock it on Craigs or whatever. The nice ones never last on our local Craigslist. Your in good shape.
BTW, what bike you putting it on?

Jim Bronson

I'm putting it on a '15 RK. I also ordered the luggage that fits inside.

cheech

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 15, 2019, 09:08:11 PM
I'm putting it on a '15 RK. I also ordered the luggage that fits inside.
The lift out luggage? Those are nice.
And why not put some more mileage on the Visa?  :potstir:
These lid organizers are pretty handy. They have gray and black. Black part# 53000392

Jim Bronson

Yeah, I was thinking about one of those. Maybe next trip.