April 24, 2024, 04:00:31 AM

News:

Installing a secondary hidden kill switch

Started by klammer76, April 19, 2019, 07:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Quote from: PoorUB on April 20, 2019, 01:42:26 PM
I remember seeing a video, four guys and a plain white van. In broad daylight at a shopping  center, pulled up to a motorcycle, opened  the rear doors and tossed it in and left. The guy videoing it just caught them loading the motorcycle. It didn't take 15 seconds. People all over, my bet is nobody saw anything or thought anything about it.

Pretty sure the guys had to be pros, just driving around looking for certain motorcycles.
It's crazy

Ohio HD

My solution has always been to avoid the areas that are prone to this type of crime. I was never much interested in large motorcycle events.

Growing up with my friends I saw more crazy than the general public displays.   :SM:

Scotty

The injectors are fired by the ECM by giving them a ground signal so to me a switch that stops the power to the injectors won't interfere with the ECM and fuel pump and everything else will run as normal.
It's the same power wire the powers the coil so easy to branch off from the injectors and run though a switch.

doctorevil

Nine times out of ten a bike is never started when it is stolen. So what good is a kill switch. That is why you pay for insurance.

Hossamania

Does your bike have a security system now? If so, and it is set, and the ignition locked, I don't see that a secondary kill switch is going to do much to stop a thief. If no security system present, then I can see the benefit of a hidden switch. Most bikes that are ridden away are unlocked without the security being set.
The majority are just picked up and thrown into a van, as mentioned.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

88b

Paniolo

Quote from: Hossamania on April 21, 2019, 08:54:57 AM
Does your bike have a security system now? If so, and it is set, and the ignition locked, I don't see that a secondary kill switch is going to do much to stop a thief. If no security system present, then I can see the benefit of a hidden switch. Most bikes that are ridden away are unlocked without the security being set.
The majority are just picked up and thrown into a van, as mentioned.

I think some sort of tracking device should me considered. That way there is a chance of getting it back.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

kd

KD

Paniolo

kd

Nope.  They get an alert when the bike leaves (fob), they track it and notify the police where it is like OnStar.

https://www.lojack.com/
KD

Paniolo

I used to have TeleTrac on my '01. It provided me with live tracking by phone. It might be better now.

cheech

Quote from: PoorUB on April 20, 2019, 01:42:26 PM
I remember seeing a video, four guys and a plain white van. In broad daylight at a shopping  center, pulled up to a motorcycle, opened  the rear doors and tossed it in and left. The guy videoing it just caught them loading the motorcycle. It didn't take 15 seconds. People all over, my bet is nobody saw anything or thought anything about it.

Pretty sure the guys had to be pros, just driving around looking for certain motorcycles.
Quote from: doctorevil on April 20, 2019, 06:51:13 PM
Nine times out of ten a bike is never started when it is stolen. So what good is a kill switch. That is why you pay for insurance.
Agree with these quotes.  So if it makes ya feel good do it, but in the end meaningless for reasons listed above.
Tracking is probably the best idea in this day in age.

screem

I am on the page, that kill switch wont do much.... but if it makes you feel good, go for it... the pros just load em up and go.
  One of my old F-250 pickups left outside the shop, had an issue , that if it wasnt started every couple weeks or the battery would go dead from the GPS device we use in all our trucks. We went for a very simple solution off a knife switch on the positive terminal of the battery, pop the hood, throw the switch and if the truck wasnt used for a month or two, throw the lever back on the battery and it would start... Older F-250's are stolen all the time down here in South Florida, they put them in a container and ship them to Central America.
the door lock and ignition switch has been popped a couple times over the last year, but the truck stays, cause they cant figure out the knife switch

klammer76

April 21, 2019, 06:08:08 PM #38 Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:13:42 PM by klammer76
Quote from: doctorevil on April 20, 2019, 06:51:13 PM
And what do you base this statement on?

As I mentioned, the kill switch is for when parked at a restaurant/bar etc. Motel parking it is secured. My bike is a 2002. It is insured but insurance isn't going to do dick for me for what I have in it and it's age.

klammer76

98fxstc

here is another one for you klammer

I have never got around to enabling, but I got a tilt sensor with a siren some time ago and fitted it under the rear fender.
It is used in conjunction with a on/off switch fitted in an appropriate location.
Adjust the angle of the tilt, so sensor is not armed on the sidestand.
When the bike is stood up the alarm goes off unless you disable it first.

Not sure how many will load your bike into a pick-up or van without standing it up.
Problem is you may find your bike laying on the ground with the van heading off into the distance.

doctorevil

I am in so cal one of my customers is a geico insurance fraud investigator. He states california and nevada have the most fraud claims in the USA. He does followup on theft claims. The majority are recorded on video. I would say his expertise is very credible.

doctorevil

Klammer if your insurance pays crap, contact Foremost insurance division of farmers ins. I have $8000 on a 02 Defender and $10000 on a 03 T sport.

crock

Buddy lost hi and when they found t ( stripped with about 20 other bikes ) they ha a panel van that had a boom/hoist in the back. Open the back doors pick it up and slide it inside
Crock

ThumperDeuce

How about routing the primary through the seat pan?
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.