April 23, 2024, 04:58:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Turn Signal Indicator/Hi Beam

Started by crazy joe, April 20, 2019, 08:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy joe

Good Morning All,  I have a new to me 2014 Road King.  Couple days I got caught in the rain,  yesterday I notice my left side T/S indicator quit working, also notice my Hi Beam indicator went out too. Anyone have the same problem??????

james r

Left TS Indicator Failed Several Times.
Warranty Took Care.
2015 Road King
Wash Tank With Softer Spray.
Now

Jim Bronson

Sounds like a connector problem. Remove the console and detach the connectors and hit them with a hair dryer set to low. Spray some contact cleaner on the pins, then mate and un-mate them a few times.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

doctorevil

Exactly like jim said. your  bike is canbus very sensitive wiring. loose pin in connector plug,moisture,any thing that effects the ohm resistance.

Tynker

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 23, 2019, 04:07:56 PM
Sounds like a connector problem. Remove the console and detach the connectors and hit them with a hair dryer set to low. Spray some contact cleaner on the pins, then mate and un-mate them a few times.
Don't forget a smear of Di-Electric grease.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

crazy joe

Great.... So may have the problem every time it rains?
Will check plugs and use Di-Electric grease.  Already had dash apart but didn't take plugs apart ( looked kinda of tricky and didn't want to brake anything). Really didn't have any time cause was at work. 

Jim Bronson

It is unlikely you'll have the problem again if you use grease. You can also use a bit of electrical tape around the connectors. It isn't like there's a gusher hitting inside the console every time it rains. The bikes are designed for riding in rain.

crazy joe

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 23, 2019, 08:45:26 PM
It is unlikely you'll have the problem again if you use grease. You can also use a bit of electrical tape around the connectors. It isn't like there's a gusher hitting inside the console every time it rains. The bikes are designed for riding in rain.

I hope so.. 

PoorUB

Use dielectric grease, but I would  not bother with tape. If the tape leaks, it holds in moisture.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Boe Cole

Quote from: PoorUB on April 24, 2019, 06:48:22 AM
Use dielectric grease, but I would  not bother with tape. If the tape leaks, it holds in moisture.

:agree:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

crazy joe

I'm going to check if it's covered under warranty,   I got the bike from my Buddy that passed away (a deal made if anything happened to either one of us)  When I took over payments I got a warranty plan with it.

chaos901

This is good to know, always good to learn something.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

crazy joe

Another thing I notice....The other day I filled up in the morning, it was cool outside, I work maybe a mile from were I filled up. It turned into a warm day    as I left from work I notice gas pouring out of the fuel cap. I pulled over and gas level was at the very top of tank. Shook the bike and level went back down.  The thing is I thought the gas would have come out of the vent and not the cap. When I took the dash off to look at the indicators I checked the vent or what I thought was the vent...hooked up to some kind of solenoid   hose was clear   tried to blow thru solenoid and nothing.  Wonder if the to problems are related? I looked at the service manual for legend for fuses but it looks pretty basic   never did take the cover off and checked them.

Boe Cole

crazy joe

Bike was not purchased in Cal   original owner bought it new.   
What does  California vapor canister look like and where is it located?

Boe Cole

Quote from: crazy joe on April 25, 2019, 06:45:27 PM
Bike was not purchased in Cal   original owner bought it new.   
What does  California vapor canister look like and where is it located?

I 'believe' it is downstream from the overflow tube but am not sure.  There are others on this forum that are more knowledgeable with the California canisters.  I had one on a Kawasaki that I once owned but can't recall where it was in the fuel system.  As I recall, it was about the size/shape of a beer can with hoses connected to it.

crazy joe

My service manual is at work    I'll look tomorrow   but don't remember seeing anything like that on the bike.
Thanks

jamminhd2000

The VIN # will tell ya if it's a california bike....service manual and parts books have a breakdown of what numbers and letters mean....jimmy

chaos901

I've have read on this site about somebody having a similar experience with their gas tank, don't remember how long ago but it has been a while.  Don't recall the outcome either, wish I did, 

You could try searching.

chaos901

Search for "gas tank building pressure", this was back in 2016 on a 2015 Road King.

Boe Cole

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on April 25, 2019, 11:38:47 PM
The VIN # will tell ya if it's a california bike....service manual and parts books have a breakdown of what numbers and letters mean....jimmy

The sm for my 11RGU says that the indicator for California bikes is a "3 or 5 or 6" in the 6th set of the vin which would look like
1 HD 1 KE M 3    with the 1,2,4=Domestic,    and 3,5,6 = California

crazy joe

Checked VIN out yesterday it's a Domestic Model. Will be taking it in Monday for warranty.

Jim Bronson

The vapor canister on my '15 RK is mounted low in the front of the frame in front of the regulator. It isn't shaped like a cylinder any more. It is more rectangular.

crazy joe

Picked up the Bike this evening.... everything went well.  They replaced a harness for the left turn signal
indicator/hi beam. Also the gas overflow problem was addressed vent was ok.... the gas cap was bad   sealing ring was damaged. All in all they did a good job,  in the past I have had bad experiences with them. The front brake feels like it grabs but they said I would have to change the brake fluid first as that is recommend every two years. I'm ok with that.