April 20, 2024, 07:16:03 AM

News:

Fork mounted wind deflectors

Started by boooby1744, April 22, 2019, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boooby1744

A long shot. Has anyone used the old style angled deflectors and the newer style scalloped/rounded ones? Is there any difference besides looks? Thanks,B.

Tynker

I have had both types on many bikes,and there is no difference, in the wind deflection.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

koko3052

I have not used the newer being a believer in "if it works leave it alone". I ride older iron & had a windshield & the deflector on my '05 fatboy. I wanted to change the look so I fitted a removable batwing on it a couple winters ago & it didn't allow me to mount my deflectors. When I went for my first ride the next spring I was in shock at how the batwing caused my pant legs to ride up to my knees.I have extended forward controls & no floor board as my legs are too long & swore if I couldn't find a way to mount the deflectors, that the windshield was going back on. That night I sat in the shop with a couple of beers & did some thinking & drawing. The next day I built some new mounts & the deflecters stay on the bike when the batwing comes off. It has to come off to get loaded into my small trailer for US riding in our winters.
A very good test of wind deflection on my bike came just a couple weeks later while coming back from BC & got caught in a big rainstorm. Rather than stopping to put on rain gear I rode the 200 kms. home, & it rained 195 of those kms, & the only place I got wet was below the top of boots & the back of my jacket.
I wouldn't be without them. :up: