April 19, 2024, 03:59:45 PM

News:

ABS Bearing alternatives

Started by FSG, October 04, 2014, 09:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

Has anyone fitted PM Wheels to their ABS Bike and in doing so used the PM developed sensor ring which allows the use of a standard 6205 bearing and the PM ABS sensor ring instead of the OEM HD ABS bearing?

http://www.performancemachine.com/tech/installation/bulletins/PM-ABS-Wheel-Bulletin.zip

I'm interested in pix of the actual PM Sensor, perhaps someone has already fitted this sensor and a 6205 bearing to a HD OEM Wheel or an aftermarket wheel other than a PM.

Lowcountry Joe

Gary
That's an interesting tech sheet.  Not much revealed with their choice of pictures though.  It sounds, on the surface, like they have tested the sensor ring to their satisfaction.  Guess it would be best to make a call to them and ask some questions.  I would like to know if that sensor ring would work with any wheel normally utilizing the standard 6205 bearing.  If the ring keeps it's thickness around 2-3 mm, stock spacers should still be able to be utilized as well.  Cost?
"Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne

FSG

I've PM'd PM and await their reply. 

In the meantime I can see how it's being done in the cage industry.

HD/Wrench

FSG

We have installed many many sets of PM wheels , and have not seen this update yet.  I have to wonder though if you get a ABS light and there is an issue how HD will deal with it under warranty..   Let us know what you find out..  :up:

FSG

OK, the most I could get out of PM was that the PM Sensor (actually the encoder) was only sold with a 6205 bearing and only available through PM Dealers and that the Part Number was 0071-3000.

Well armed with that information I went out and bought one. 
NOTE: The price is Oz$'s which contains the best part of a 75% margin, be interesting to see what price they are in the USA.

The bearing is:  NACHI 6205NSE C3    (nothing wrong with Nachi Bearings)

The encoder is:  52 x 32 x 3 mm

The axle spacer is: 31.75 x 25.1 x 3.5 mm 

The Orange Warning Label has a peel off backing and is used to hold the axle spacer into the encoder and hub while the wheel awaits installation back in a bike.

Depending on the bearing removal tool used I'd say the encoder would be reusable if bearings were required to be changed.

rageglide

What holds that encoder ring in place once the wheel is installed?  The Sensor?  It looks to have a larger i.d. than the spacer for the sensor and would float...what keeps it from spinning/floating and throwing ABS codes?

FSG

The encoder ring will be a press fit, it's OD will hold it in position.

rageglide