April 19, 2024, 08:59:04 AM

News:

Hertz and Hertz...Newbie Question

Started by Timber0472, July 22, 2019, 06:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber0472

Hey guys. First I'm a newb to component wiring but I just purchased a set of Hertz SV 165 and a set of Hertz mp25.3 tweeters. I'll be using the American hard bags mount to "float" the tweeter across the SVs. Powering will be BT4180 for the 6.5s and the tweeters will be powered with a soundigital 250 2d amp. Question is these SVs are I guess a PA type speaker and will the tweeter be ok mounted in front of those? Or is this just a bad idea? The head unit is an Alpine w967hd double din Nav. It has what's supposed to be a great EQ and processor. I really dont know how to even use it. Sorry I'm a true newb. Previous bikes were stock head units with plug and play systems.
I've already mounted the 6.5s in the fairing. Just waiting on a cable and the bass blockers to come in Monday.
Any wiring and tuning advice would be greatly appreciated!

gordonr

I have done an install using hertz SPL Show products using the 25 (front)and the 35 tweeters (Bags) combined with the 6.5's and 8's. All is run off a single BT 4150. The head unit is a PRS-80 Pioneer. The single amp system driving the Tweeters was way more than enough as I had to tame them down.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Timber0472

Quote from: gordonr on July 22, 2019, 04:52:23 PM
I have done an install using hertz SPL Show products using the 25 (front)and the 35 tweeters (Bags) combined with the 6.5's and 8's. All is run off a single BT 4150. The head unit is a PRS-80 Pioneer. The single amp system driving the Tweeters was way more than enough as I had to tame them down.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure the bt4180 would be an issue bc I sometimes ride with tour pak (it has 6.5s also).
How did you tune your hu? I was thinking maybe I should run the tweeters off the rear channel of the HU. Should I slope the front SVs down to 60hz? The Alpine HU has 5 RCAs so...tweets on the rear or front with a Y splitter between both amps?

gordonr

I would parallel the tweeter wiring directly from the front woofers. Reason being is to take advantage of the time alignment settings. Depending on the physical cap size you may want to glue gun the cap down and solder "all" connections at the speakers. 60hz is too low start at 80. The speakers need to be sealed completely. While cranking your system up testing feel for air pushing out around the speakers, Bag gaskets if applicable, and fairing gasket.  And I wouldn't use the second amp. The BT will run two ohm and double the wattage automatically. That amp will smoke a defective speaker as well.

gordonr

To add if you had your setup in a network mode with digital X-over controls then the second amp would be welcome for speaker per channel control. The PRS-80 has that feature

Timber0472

Quote from: gordonr on July 23, 2019, 07:26:19 AM
I would parallel the tweeter wiring directly from the front woofers. Reason being is to take advantage of the time alignment settings. Depending on the physical cap size you may want to glue gun the cap down and solder "all" connections at the speakers. 60hz is too low start at 80. The speakers need to be sealed completely. While cranking your system up testing feel for air pushing out around the speakers, Bag gaskets if applicable, and fairing gasket.  And I wouldn't use the second amp. The BT will run two ohm and double the wattage automatically. That amp will smoke a defective speaker as well.
Ok. I will give wiring them directly to the woofers a shot. I'm not sure what you mean by taking advantage of the time alignment settings. Is this something I need to program in the HU?
Wiring them like that wont effect the tourpak speakers when I actually do tour will it?
Sorry for so many questions but one more...Is that Soundigital ok if I eventually were to add say..the rockford fosgate 6x9 speaker lid conversions?
I honestly have no idea what I am doing.
I will slope the fronts to 80hz (12db?)
BTW THANKS!

gordonr

Time alignment is set in the HU. Its for it is a sound delay enhancement for sound imaging. You still wont need the Sound Digital with another set of speakers. If your are up for the Show 8's you wont be disappointed. Set your speakers to 12db

Timber0472

Quote from: gordonr on July 23, 2019, 12:21:45 PM
Time alignment is set in the HU. Its for it is a sound delay enhancement for sound imaging. You still wont need the Sound Digital with another set of speakers. If your are up for the Show 8's you wont be disappointed. Set your speakers to 12db
Update:
Wired them as you suggested. Worked great!! I am now playing with the time correction that you mentioned. I really do not understand how to use this. I am using the tune-it app by Alpine. Any suggestions on this?