March 28, 2024, 07:48:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Pinging / Detonation Sounds ?

Started by HV, October 20, 2017, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom1974

I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.  Been to dealer 4 times.  Started with the SEPST pinged then put the Smart Tune pro on it still pinged.  Broke down and bought a Power Vision from Fuelmoto with the stage 3 map downloaded.  Loaded it in the bike and still pings.  Took it back to dealer and supposedly they tuned it with the power Vision on the Dyno.  You guessed it still pining !!  I am at a loss and obviously so is the dealership.  Mind you they did all this work for free other than the purchase of the power Vision.  They know there is a problem or they would not have tuned it for free.  Any ideas would be really helpful.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

PoorUB

Quote from: Freedom1974 on December 07, 2018, 09:47:17 PM
I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.

Find a decent dyno tuner and get a proper tune. My guess it your dealer's guy doesn't know how.

Where are you located?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HV

If it has a loose plug wire or a bad Knock sensor .....they can tune it with every tuner made and it will still do it....they are missing something ..I did a PDI on a new 2019 CVO last week and it had a loose plug wire out of the Box
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Freedom1974

Quote from: HV on December 10, 2018, 03:15:09 AM
If it has a loose plug wire or a bad Knock sensor .....they can tune it with every tuner made and it will still do it....they are missing something ..I did a PDI on a new 2019 CVO last week and it had a loose plug wire out of the Box
Going to take it to a different dealer in January.  I will mention those ideas when i drop it off.

sfmichael

Quote from: HV on December 10, 2018, 03:15:09 AM

well nothing beats experience so I'm not questioning it - but why do you think loose wires causes / allows them to ping?   :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

rigidthumper

I'd imagine that if the plug wire is loose, spark timing will be off, because some of the allotted time ( and part of the current) is spent jumping the first gap. May not affect it at idle, but might show up from mid range on up.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HV

When I was at the factory for the M8 Training they made a point to mention checking the plug wires...they MUST Click when installing them...according to them it can make the timing change as much as 5 degrees .....That along with the 2 or 3 bad Knock sensors Ive had can make pinging a real PITA to get rid of
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 11, 2018, 06:13:05 AM
I'd imagine that if the plug wire is loose, spark timing will be off, because some of the allotted time ( and part of the current) is spent jumping the first gap. May not affect it at idle, but might show up from mid range on up.

this was my assumption / hypothesis also...but in that line of thinking I would think that the timing would be retarded under these conditions?

weird...regardless, always good to learn tips from guys in the field

thanks for the info HV  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Jamie Long

I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.  Been to dealer 4 times.  Started with the SEPST pinged then put the Smart Tune pro on it still pinged.  Broke down and bought a Power Vision from Fuelmoto with the stage 3 map downloaded.  Loaded it in the bike and still pings.  Took it back to dealer and supposedly they tuned it with the power Vision on the Dyno.  You guessed it still pining !!  I am at a loss and obviously so is the dealership.  Mind you they did all this work for free other than the purchase of the power Vision.  They know there is a problem or they would not have tuned it for free.  Any ideas would be really helpful.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I highly suggest submitting a support ticket thru our Fuel Map portal. We will need to see three 20+ minute datalogs of mixed riding along with a copy of the tune you are running. Should be a very straight process to get you straightened out. 

Freedom1974

Quote from: Jamie Long on December 20, 2018, 08:03:19 AM
I am not sure how do do that Jamie.  I am thinking of just bringing it to you and having you tune it.  I have tried all other options around me.  420 mile ride will be nice and make the bike run correctly.

I highly suggest submitting a support ticket thru our Fuel Map portal. We will need to see three 20+ minute datalogs of mixed riding along with a copy of the tune you are running. Should be a very straight process to get you straightened out.

Freedom1974

Taking my bike down to Durwood Monday.  See if he can line out the tune and get rid of the spark knock.

Fat11Lo

Quote from: Freedom1974 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:11 AM
Taking my bike down to Durwood Monday.  See if he can line out the tune and get rid of the spark knock.

You're in good hands there

sfmichael

Quote from: Fat11Lo on January 11, 2019, 07:52:26 AM
Quote from: Freedom1974 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:11 AM

You're in good hands there

roger that  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Freedom1974

Quote from: HV on December 11, 2018, 01:40:17 PM
When I was at the factory for the M8 Training they made a point to mention checking the plug wires...they MUST Click when installing them...according to them it can make the timing change as much as 5 degrees .....That along with the 2 or 3 bad Knock sensors Ive had can make pinging a real PITA to get rid of
Any news on the knock sensor taking care of the spark knock ?