March 28, 2024, 07:51:54 AM

News:

Let's play "name that noise"

Started by beasleyiv, April 23, 2019, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beasleyiv

Installed a 465C cam this winter, SE adjustable PRs, Larry's lifters, S&S collars, latest oil pump and backing plate.  PRs have been adjusted a couple times trying to solve noisy valvetrain.  The noise in the video is only on cold starts.  Subsequent starts throughout a day of riding are normal.

Thoughts?  Thanks as always.

https://youtu.be/7Y27aar265g

scoopfraser

Based on the clip I'd say it's something outside of the engine (e.g. heat shields).  This would make sense since there is more engine shake when cold.

2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Scotty

Quote from: beasleyiv on April 23, 2019, 12:59:22 PM
IThe noise in the video is only on cold starts.  Subsequent starts throughout a day of riding are normal.

Check your 02 sensors are tight in the exhaust and that the sealing area is flat because it sounds like a little exhaust leak.

Ohio HD

I'm pretty certain that's metal meeting metal.

MakoHD

yeah that seems to be outside the the engine...

Hossamania

A stethoscope around the motor might help narrow it down.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

BVHOG

You got a lifter just taking some time to pump up IMHO
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

rbabos

Valve train as in lifter. A good tune is in order too.
Ron

kd

Quote from: rbabos on April 25, 2019, 12:32:19 PM
Valve train as in lifter. A good tune is in order too.
Ron

I too noticed the initial stumbling on start-up but my tinnitus handicaps me on video sound clips.
KD

HV

Also if you had any spark plugs out ....re check the TQ on them
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

beasleyiv

Thanks all.  I swapped out the lifters, really seems no change.  There's zero noise when warm after the first 30 seconds and for the rest of the day.  Nothing in the oil.  Ignore the tune, I have the cold idle turned down a bit and the 465c cam is a bit bumpy at low rpm and cold.  I've got other things in my way at the moment, so I can't troubleshoot for another couple days. 

Hossamania

If the noise goes away after thirty seconds, I would just run it. Let it warm up, and go.
My GMC does the same, on mine it's piston slap, it's not getting fixed until it blows up.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

francodipa

It seems the same problem as my bike, solved periodically by checking and tightening the silencer clamp indicated in the figure that tends to loosen.
[attach=0]

beasleyiv

Update: It's isn't the lifters.  I swapped in a set of S&S I had laying around, sound was still there, slightly reduced but correlation isn't necessarily causation.  I swapped back in Larry's lifters today as the valve train is a bit quieter with them.  Found my crossover pipe clamp (#35 in that pic) wasn't clamping anymore, replaced that.  Rear O2 sensor was a bit loose in the bung, tightened that.  Fired it up and only heard a couple of those noises, not nearly as much as before.  I didn't exactly follow testing protocol and only fix one thing at a time, I ran out of patience.  

At this point I'm done chasing a problem that only manifests at cold start.  I'll ride it until it blows, I'm sick of wrenching on it.  Thanks for all the input, if anything changes I'll update the thread.  Hopefully it doesn't strand me out in the middle of BFE.