March 28, 2024, 10:46:19 PM

News:

Reccomendations on wethead mods for a 124?

Started by guesscrazy, August 12, 2019, 08:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

So if I do a 124 on my14 rushmore what head mods are recommended for the twincooled engine. Porting, larger valves, guides and seats?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

rigidthumper

I'd find a set of 2014-2016 twin cooled CVO heads, and have them ported. Keeps compression reasonable, and enough flow for a big engine.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

The wet heads, CVO, porting is the same as the air cooled version here. Just send me your heads and they get done the same as the air cooled version.

dsvracer

not really that much difference in porting wet heads to the standard heads. you have to be a little careful not to cut into the water jackets but they are an easy port work for those who have done them before.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: guesscrazy on August 12, 2019, 08:27:10 AM
So if I do a 124 on my14 rushmore what head mods are recommended for the twincooled engine. Porting, larger valves, guides and seats?

Seat replacement on the intake side.
2" intakes, 1.615" exhausts, guides, .650" lift springs.
300+ cfm @ 28" @ .650" lift.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

like stated before,porting is pretty much the same as regular heads.depending on your expectations,id get CVO castings if looking for 145+

Don D

Need to use CVO 95cc+ water cooled heads as a starting point

guesscrazy

Looking for 130 square touring motor and compression that is manageable. Can factory worked wetheads produce this or is cvo the way to go? What cam and compression?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Don D

Possible but it would take dished pistons and a lot of head rework. It would be less costly to use the CVO casting and the result will be better

harpwrench

Quote from: guesscrazy on September 07, 2019, 08:00:08 AM
Looking for 130 square touring motor and compression that is manageable. Can factory worked wetheads produce this or is cvo the way to go? What cam and compression?
You could do a 117 with your heads reworked and make your goal. My 110 kitted wet head makes 131/123 with 190 ccp, and I've put 20k on it this summer.

wfolarry

I like to be the odd man out so here it goes:
The 124 kit can be had with dished pistons to use a stock head. I have done a few with CNC ported heads. The chambers end up around 90-92 cc. With a little trimming you can dial it in where you want. Use flat tops if you want a little more compression.
I use the S&S 585 cam. Always liked this cam.
I'm a fan of the 110 heads but are they really necessary? It depends.
I also have used 1.9/1.610 valves. While everybody else will tell you to go bigger [including me if you were chasing HP] you'd be surprised how well they run & how much power they make.
The point I'm trying to make is there are always options. Get with whoever you're going to use for the build & come up with a game plan. Depending on your budget & your goals the 124 kit from S&S can be tailored to fit you & your riding style.

guesscrazy

So I need to look for 110 wetheads with 95cc chambers? What are the differences between 103 wetheads and 110 wetheads besides chamber cc?

wfolarry

Bigger ports & bigger valves. If you're going for the HP then that's the way to go.