April 19, 2024, 04:03:10 PM

News:

SUMPING

Started by shovelinabox, August 23, 2019, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelinabox

Ok fellas I need some advise here. I got a 2015 RG that lacks power in higher gears and higher RPM. No oil blowing in air cleaner but I can smell it. No foaming oil either. No external leaks. Making 90H and 100T on Dyno. Nowhere close to what it should be.
I ran it up and shut it off to drain the crank case and got about 2oz out of it. I checked the cam timing and it's right on. Compression is 183 psi. I checked the scavenge pump o-ring, piston Oiler o-rings, cam plate for porosity and pressure relief piston for being stuck open. I am about out of ideas here. I do have a fueling plate on the way. I am about out of ideas here. Any advise is greatly appreciated..

The build:
106" with S&S pistons
S&S 570 chain drive cam
Fueling oil pump
Ported heads
D&D Fat Cat
S&S Stealth AC
I cant decide if I want to ride to work or call in sick and ride all day...

No Cents

did you pull the air cleaner off and roll the butterfly back and take a look inside the t/body? You say you can smell oil...I'd take a peek inside the t/body and make sure there isn't oil puddled up inside laying on the floor of the t/body.
  Getting 2 ounces of oil out of the sump tells me it's not sumping.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

shovelinabox

Yes, I looked in there before I tore it down no oil puddled. Held it open during the compression test and also watched it open all the way on the dyno.

PoorUB

183 PSI compression? Should that number be around 200 PSI + with those cams?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

He's a little low, but not that far off.  Unless adjustments were made during the build, he's prolly under 10:1.
Have a dyno sheet?  SS570s are exhaust sensitive.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jsachs1

I would check cam timing. Sounds like you're off a tooth.
!06" flat top pistons, with stock TC 103 style chamber, S&S .570 cams, .030" head gaskets, should put you closer to the upper 190 to 200 psi cranking on a cold engine. If you're only getting 2 oz. from the sump, it's not wet sumping.
I'd look for at least a min. 20 hp, and 20 ft. lbs. when you have it straightened out, and tuned properly. :wink:
John

shovelinabox

Thanks much for the comments. It's still apart waiting on cam plate to come in. The compression test was done on a hot engine. The cam timing was the first thing I looked at and it was right on. Head gaskets are .40. Tune was done by the best in my area and I am very confident in their ability, they have done many for me. I have done this exact build before on a few bikes and it's made 118H and 125T.
Thanks again..

kd

Maybe posting the sheet with afr and gear graphs will show some clue that the tuners here will notice.
KD

dheath9994

Ccp is pretty low typically s&s kits come at 10.5:1 with a .030 HG which would put you even a touch higher unless your combustion chamber is larger than stock on the heads

boggart

You don't say what ported heads, did you use their 89cc heads or something?  That CCP is much lower than my very similar 14' 107 build.  If the compression test was done on a hot engine, that means it's actually even lower than stated, correct?

Thermodyne

Take it out and warm it up.  Then sitting on the side stand, dead rev it.  If it will dead rev past 4000-4500, its not sumped.

Past that, pull the plugs and see what the compression is with the compression releases disabled.  Then check the leakage.  Have a look at the cylinder walls while the plugs are out.