April 26, 2024, 07:00:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cylinder studs!

Started by 86fxwg, September 04, 2019, 08:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

What's the conncenses on cylinder stud uses?
Meaning how many top end builds on the same studs before replacement? Say a guy goes from
96 to 103,then decides he wants more, then goes to 107/110!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

les

For this particular scenario, I replace the studs.  However, I tend to lean towards over doing things.

Boe Cole

Interesting question.  I know that on some engines, the manufacturer wants you to replace the studs as they are stretched when originally torqued down and reuse does not allow for the initial stretching.  I don't know how sensitive the hd studs are.  Does the mothership make any recommendations?
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Boe Cole

If you are going from a 96 to a 110 by going through a 103, a few more dollars for new studs should not break the bank.  I'd call it cheap insurance against a build fail.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

rbabos

Not sure If I've ever read of a stock stud either yielding torque or breaking,  even on multiple uses? :scratch:
Ron

BVHOG

I re use once, second time replace. For less that 40 bucks it's a no brainer
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

86fxwg

September 04, 2019, 09:57:48 AM #6 Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:26:08 PM by 86fxwg
The reason for the ? Is, I've heard the concern is not for the studs but for concern of the case threads upon replacement.
Money's not the concern, just the use of the studs.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Ohio HD

I replace them, it's really cheap insurance. I replace head bolts too.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 04, 2019, 10:01:07 AM

I should be paying more attention to head bolts and replacing them more often.

Ohio HD

Quote from: les on September 04, 2019, 10:24:41 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 04, 2019, 10:01:07 AM

I should be paying more attention to head bolts and replacing them more often.

I'm also guilty of overdoing things. But I also never have issues later.

jsachs1

If they look like hell, rust, etc, or if they need to come out for the 3rd time , I replace. Otherwise the weakest link in the chain is the aluminum threads in the case, so they stay in. Never had a failure. :up:
John

koko3052

I'm with John on the weakest link! Never had a stud break.

Hillside Motorcycle

Of all the engines we build on a weekly basis, (and not over 300, 110"s either... :hyst: :hyst:) NEVER have had a stud issue.
However, on 131" builds, we do use Kibblewhite/PM studs.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

itsafatboy

I like the ARP studs that Fueling sells , they have the bottom out ring like stock ones , also the ARP heard bolts just me overkill when I was doing the 116" back in the day 

dynabagger

With the studs I have now, the heads and/or cylinders have been off 3 times. The last time I changed the studs it was really tough getting the loctite to break free. I heated and heated and was concerned of case breakage but eventually got them out. Memories of that experience is what kept me from changing them the last time. The next time i will change them. Head bolts I always replace with new.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

prodrag1320

nothing wrong with OEM studs,no reason to replace them.defanatley no reason to replace head bolts

BVHOG

What happens when a bolt, or stud in this case loses it's ability to stretch under torque load is gone after re use? it puts more stress on the case that's what it does and I have seen a couple cases that had issues after they were re used 3-4 times. Have also seen two motors break headbolts on the dyno after too many times of re use. We are not talking high dollar parts here. Why would you even chance it?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

koko3052

Quote from: BVHOG on September 07, 2019, 07:11:45 AM
What happens when a bolt, or stud in this case loses it's ability to stretch under torque load is gone after re use? it puts more stress on the case that's what it does and I have seen a couple cases that had issues after they were re used 3-4 times. Have also seen two motors break headbolts on the dyno after too many times of re use. We are not talking high dollar parts here. Why would you even chance it?

I don't believe the idea is to save a few bucks...I believe it's to save the threads in the cases. :nix:

rredneckn2

September 07, 2019, 06:48:46 PM #18 Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:48:40 AM by rigidthumper
Evo stud problems didn't carry over to the Twin Cams IMHO.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it