April 19, 2024, 01:37:30 PM

News:

s&s 124 crate motor

Started by dynarat, September 06, 2019, 04:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynarat

Thinking about a s&s 124 hc crate motor 640 cam version what would relistic hp tq numbers be for this motor .its going in a 13 fatbob will be running a borzilla pipe have a 55hpi on current 107 build but maybe bit small? and se tuner also 30/70 pulleys.they seem quite well priced .Was half way there with the 107 should of saved my money.currently have 113hp 110tq could sell my 107 or keep it and put back in if sold my bike keep 124 for another bike maybe

Ohio HD

130 to 135 square are realistic numbers for an off the shelf 124 with S&S 640's.

pwmorris

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 06, 2019, 05:02:29 PM
130 to 135 square are realistic numbers for an off the shelf 124 with S&S 640's.
Nailed it.
Could be high 120's on either end, and depending on how good the tune lines up-and how legit and in spec the dyno is....
150 on either end on a cooked and dream happy dyno......

dynarat

yeah some numbers do seem alot better than others ..so basically 20 more hp trq than what i got .surly  that would be felt in the seat.

Ohio HD

It's not so much the additional power as it is how much more power across the RPM range. No one rides at WOT. Look at dyno sheets that have a lot going from them under 4,500 to 5,000 RPM. More cubes, and a good combination and tune will give that.

BVHOG

I have tuned a bunch of them and  seen them all over the place but high 130's is realistic. That being said you could build a better motor on your cases for less $
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

wfolarry

The head castings are rough. If you go the crate motor route pull the heads & have them cleaned up.
The last one I did went 148/148 from what I was told.

1workinman

Quote from: wfolarry on September 07, 2019, 03:29:22 PM
The head castings are rough. If you go the crate motor route pull the heads & have them cleaned up.
The last one I did went 148/148 from what I was told.
I seen a couple crate motors that had the heads worked add a tad bit of compression and they really shined . - Lot better than a stock motor . Must be the flow of the stock heads

Don D

They offer a version with the tc3 oil pump and plate, an improvement. They will likely soon be able to get away from the oil lines too. I drill the interface but it technically voids the warranty.

1workinman

Quote from: HD Street Performance on September 08, 2019, 09:11:29 AM
They offer a version with the tc3 oil pump and plate, an improvement. They will likely soon be able to get away from the oil lines too. I drill the interface but it technically voids the warranty.
I had heard that the better oil pump and cam plate was going to be available or or I thought so , It be nice if they would also offer one with a cnc or perhaps offer one with better flowing heads and say 195 or 200 ccp with the 640 cam and even the 585 , offer it with ez starts or compression releases .  May be even diamond or cp pistons with coated skirts and drill the housing for oil lol .  Even the 143 could stand a little help now that there are a few or several out there that have been modified a tad bit lol 

CVOThunder

Quote from: BVHOG on September 07, 2019, 07:07:32 AM
I have tuned a bunch of them and  seen them all over the place but high 130's is realistic. That being said you could build a better motor on your cases for less $

Would the S&S 124 Hot Kit be worthwhile or totally different direction? I prefer to use their 3 piece crank and since I don't have CVO heads (2015 RGS) I was thinking their SS heads cleaned up would be worth buying the kit. Warranty buying the crate would be ok but then drilling the block is the offset idea to that. Not running hoses is the plan...whenever that happens.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: pwmorris on September 06, 2019, 05:29:46 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 06, 2019, 05:02:29 PM
Nailed it.
Could be high 120's on either end, and depending on how good the tune lines up-and how legit and in spec the dyno is....
150 on either end on a cooked and dream happy dyno......

!00% agree with Paul's statement. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

Quote from: CVOThunder on September 08, 2019, 08:33:54 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on September 07, 2019, 07:07:32 AM

Would the S&S 124 Hot Kit be worthwhile or totally different direction? I prefer to use their 3 piece crank and since I don't have CVO heads (2015 RGS) I was thinking their SS heads cleaned up would be worth buying the kit. Warranty buying the crate would be ok but then drilling the block is the offset idea to that. Not running hoses is the plan...whenever that happens.
You are on the right track. No reason not to use your heads and use their low compression pistons. There are cost savings to be had by going this route but still end up with s very solid build.