April 19, 2024, 01:45:33 PM

News:

Noisy lifters

Started by DresserDan, September 12, 2019, 12:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DresserDan

03 Ultra with 35,000  Lifters seem awful noisy. [New pads were already installed] Any one ever add any type of oil treatment? Or re adjust Tighter? Life span ? They quite down when motor comes down to 2,000 RPM's

Rockout Rocker Products

Sure it's lifters? Many many "lifter noises" actually turned out to be rocker shaft tapping.... there is a cure  :smiled:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

motorhogman

September 12, 2019, 12:54:42 PM #2 Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:01:43 PM by motorhogman
Quote from: DresserDan on September 12, 2019, 12:05:25 PM
03 Ultra with 35,000  Lifters seem awful noisy. [New pads were already installed] Any one ever add any type of oil treatment? Or re adjust Tighter? Life span ? They quite down when motor comes down to 2,000 RPM's

"New pads"   ??

I have around 60,000 on my 3rd set of lifters.. Going to be changing them soon just because... They aren't noisy and don't bleed down like the previous ones have.  1st set was at 10,000 mi.. front exhaust was going clackity clack.. dealer replaced them all under warranty...back in 2001.. 2nd set replaced under extended warranty around 50,000 in 2006 along with cams, bearings, oil pump..

Figure it's just time to do it again..

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

DresserDan

These are way to noisy for rockers. I asked a HD tech and he said my chains were stretched out. Every thing in the nose cone was changed out Cyco pads, all new bearings. Did use the stock cams and chains. It quiet downs when you back it off to around 2000 over that and they start getting loud. So guess I may put some new ones in and see.

Y2KRKNG

You have good quality lifters. They simply don't make them like that anymore(HD at least). If you're set on trying new ones, don't get HDs.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Hossamania

Do you have adjustable push rods? Check to make sure one or more haven't come loose.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

DresserDan

Yes S/E adj pushrods. Going to check that first

kd

KD

DresserDan

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on September 12, 2019, 02:01:06 PM
You have good quality lifters. They simply don't make them like that anymore(HD at least). If you're set on trying new ones, don't get HDs.

If they are that good why do you say to not get HD lifters?

kd

OEM before early 2011 were the "B" designation (in the part number) lifters.  They were known to be the first class and most durable lifter available at the time.  The next designation "C" in the part number series were junk and fail early.
KD

Boe Cole

My bike sounds like a sewing machine when I have my hearing aids in.  Take them out and the bike really quiets down.  Easy solution..... :baby:

Seriously though - it must be the frequency of the lifter tapping as I can only hear it with my hearing aids in - no one else can - those with normal hearing that is.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

smoserx1

The twin cam engine has actually used 4 versions of OEM lifters, 18538-99 and that same part number with A, B and C suffixes.  The original ones were supposedly made by Johnson and the B versions by Delphi.  My bike is a very early 99 model so it came with either the no suffix version or the A version, and these were a little quieter in operation that the B versions, but not by much.  However the early ones were very bad about bleeding down overnight and clattering VERY LOUDLY on startup, and  the forums back then were full of complaints about that.  The B lifters don't seem to have much of that problem.  The new C lifters, as mentioned have a bad reputation.  Johnson still makes lifters for your bike, they are called Hi-Lift (or similar).  Some folks here have praised them as being quiet.  And supposedly S&S standard lifters are made by Delphi since you can't get new B versions anymore.  But you might find all of them get louder over 2000 RPM.  That has been my experience, and I can still remember thinking how noisy my valve train was on my bike's maiden voyage home, almost 20 years and 211000 miles ago.  I am om my 4th set of lifters.

Don D

18538-99 was the first version made by Johnson lifter company. 18538-99A was next also a Johnson lifter. As stated 18538-99B was the first Delphi lifter. the -C version is also Delphi but made out of this country.

Wide Glide

Dan,
Check the pushrods adjustment, I just lost a lifter about a month ago. Mine sounded like a hammer hitting a anvil, but it was just one lifter. On tear down there was 1/16" of play in the roller and the oil plug was loaded with filings. WFOLarry hooked me up with Johnson lifters, fast delivery and great price if you need them. At 30K I would change them, cheap insurance.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Y2KRKNG

My Evo ate big wheel tappet needle bearings also. the motor only lasted another 5000 miles until the main bearings went out and it kicked the wrist pin out of the rear Cylinder because of the slop.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1