April 26, 2024, 04:14:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Symptoms of worn lifter bores.

Started by egstandard, September 15, 2019, 05:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

Well that might be my problem. Got it good and hot today. 6-8 psi at idle at 1000 rpm. 35-40 at going down the road. Can you get in there to change those with the jugs and pistons off?

kouack

Quote from: egstandard on September 30, 2019, 01:23:43 PM
Well that might be my problem. Got it good and hot today. 6-8 psi at idle at 1000 rpm. 35-40 at going down the road. Can you get in there to change those with the jugs and pistons off?

6-8 @ idle is what i see and north of 30 at highway speed what is wrong with this? To me this is perfectly normal.

Hossamania

Does the light come on at idle? If not, run it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Your oil pressure is in line. Are you sure the noise is due to lifters?

egstandard

Tomorrow it will be back together with a known good set of low mileage heads and rockers. Lifters are new. Heads that are on it have 85,000 on them. Rockers that are on it are original at 180,000 miles. Lifters are new a month ago. I'm looking at the bore now and it is good. 20,000 miles on 95 inch bore June of 18. Should have do e heads then, but no time. Bottom end timken conversion, balanced , trued, welded, h beam rods. Gear drive Andrew's 26. Feuling cam plate and pump. That was done in 15. I really think now it's a guide, rocker shafts or valve seat.

egstandard

Up and running. The unusual tapping noise I had is now gone. I put it through the wringer pretty good. Runs fine. When I get time, I'll tear down the heads and rockers I took off and investigate. Thanks all for your help and advice.

les

Yes, I've changed piston jets with the jugs off and the short block in the frame.  You just need to be careful you don't drop the tiny screws down into the short block.  I'll stuff rags down there as an attempt to catch it if I get clumsy.  I've not dropped as screw yet, but I'm sure that's going to happen.