April 19, 2024, 12:57:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dressers Down again

Started by DYankee, September 24, 2019, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koko3052

Quote from: Norton Commando on September 28, 2019, 03:22:29 PM
Quote from: les on September 25, 2019, 07:08:52 AM

If the bottom end is a Timken sprocket shaft bearing, then it's more complicated.  If it's a roller bearing on the sprocket shaft, then the bottom end work is very straight forward, with one exception.   I'd say putting on the casing sealant (not too thick, not too thin) is about the most complicated part of the job, if it's not a Timken bottom end.

I assume you are referring to a Timken tapered bearing? Why is the tapered Timken bearing more complicated than a parallel roller bearing? 

Jason

It must be shimmed correctly, where as a roller is just basically slapped in.

Norton Commando

Quote from: koko3052 on September 28, 2019, 06:09:37 PM

If the bottom end is a Timken sprocket shaft bearing, then it's more complicated.  If it's a roller bearing on the sprocket shaft, then the bottom end work is very straight forward, with one exception.   I'd say putting on the casing sealant (not too thick, not too thin) is about the most complicated part of the job, if it's not a Timken bottom end.

I assume you are referring to a Timken tapered bearing? Why is the tapered Timken bearing more complicated than a parallel roller bearing? 

Jason

Thank you; like the EVO engines.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Norton Commando on September 29, 2019, 05:50:06 AM

Jason

Thank you; like the EVO engines.

Like 55 and up Pans, all Shovels, Evo's and Sportsters.

les

Jason

Also, if you don't have the tools, then removing/installing the races can be difficult.  If it's a native Timken bottom end, then removing the race spacer is even tougher without the proper tools.