April 23, 2024, 12:55:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Drilling pulley nut to remove

Started by klammer76, September 27, 2019, 02:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

My SE OD6 transmission has developed a leak. Tranny came with a Jims Mega nut installed from the factory. Have heard of drilling the nut 180* apart to split it if it's a bear to get off. Will this metod work with the mega nut also?

FSG

well that's a yes and no

if you just drilled where the yellow is then the area inside the red square will still hold it together

but depending on what drill bit was used then it'd be easy to drill and weaken that area

ensure the socket you use to take the nut off has been faced to remove the excess and rounded area

klammer76

Quote from: FSG on September 27, 2019, 03:41:01 PM
well that's a yes and no

if you just drilled where the yellow is then the area inside the red square will still hold it together

but depending on what drill bit was used then it'd be easy to drill and weaken that area

ensure the socket you use to take the nut off has been faced to remove the excess and rounded area

Thanks Gary. The flange was the reason I was asking. I'll see what if any problem I have with getting it off next week when I get to it.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: klammer76 on September 27, 2019, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: FSG on September 27, 2019, 03:41:01 PM
well that's a yes and no

Thanks Gary. The flange was the reason I was asking. I'll see what if any problem I have with getting it off next week when I get to it.

In the meantime, load it up with Liquid Wrench or similar - Just FYI (as you have found) They can be a real ***** to get off. Heat does help. Just not enough to affect the Tinsel Strength of the Main Shaft.
Tom