March 19, 2024, 01:31:37 AM

News:

2nd to Neutral

Started by JW113, May 20, 2018, 10:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

One thing that drives me nuts with the Evo 5 speed is that it is nearly impossible to shift from 2nd to neutral. Older BT 4 speed, XL 4 speed, even TC 5 speed, no problem they all just snick right into neutral from 2nd with a slight bit of pressure on the level. Evo 5sp, no way, jumps straight to 1st. When I had my '91 apart fixing a broken shifter pawl spring, I kind of remember why this is. Seems the way the dentents are cut into the drum it just skips over the neutral detent.

Anyway... I want to fix this. Question: will the TC 5 speed shift drum fit into a Evo 5 speed? If not, then does the Baker smooth shift kit allow you to get into neutral from 2nd?

thanks,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Diver625

I don't have the answer to your question but I know if I shut mine off neutral is easy to find.

david lee

same thing.trikes up at the hd mech for different pipes and said its next to impossible getting neutral from 2nd.you have to go to 1st first then neutral even then it can be difficult.hes going to check it out but basically said thats how they are.i thought the evo boxes were a lot better.not very happy.even my 4sp shovel is better.the only thing i like is the hydro clutch.why didnt hd rectify this?

JC 92FXRS

JW, curious as to why you want get N from 2nd...just a question is all.
I can hit N in from 4th if I'm not aggressive enough on the up-shift. Blown a couple of shifts in all gears doing that.
Cheers, jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Breeze

My 1992 Dyna owners manual states that you can't shift to neutral from 2nd. I don't remember if there was a explanation. I can look it up if wanted. It never bothered me, cuz I never go that way, always to 1, then N.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

JW113

Why? Because when I roll up to a stop light, I am always in 2nd. Seems like a total waste of time and clutch to have to shift down to 1st just to get into neutral. All of my other bikes pop right into neutral from 2nd easy as pie. Evo 5 speed won't. Where's the logic in that?

-JW

Pete_Vit

I get lucky SOMETIMES and am able to get neutral from 2nd, when I do...I know It's gonna be a good day   :hyst:
a very light touch seems to work best  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

ecir50

to answer your question yes the drum is a swap but not without all other associated parts.

david lee

Quote from: Breeze on May 21, 2018, 04:47:10 AM
My 1992 Dyna owners manual states that you can't shift to neutral from 2nd. I don't remember if there was a explanation. I can look it up if wanted. It never bothered me, cuz I never go that way, always to 1, then N.
so are all evos like this. thank you

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on May 21, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Why? Because when I roll up to a stop light, I am always in 2nd. Seems like a total waste of time and clutch to have to shift down to 1st just to get into neutral. All of my other bikes pop right into neutral from 2nd easy as pie. Evo 5 speed won't. Where's the logic in that?

-JW
im with you jw .at least the trike makes it a bit easier to put up with but still anoying

Deye76

May 21, 2018, 04:09:58 PM #10 Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:21:07 PM by Deye76
"will the TC 5 speed shift drum fit into a Evo 5 speed? "
Yes, with the gear set. Just installed a low mileage 5 spd gear set and drum from my 2004 Roadglide (6 spd install @ 8K) into my FXR trans case. Clutch cover, and drum cover fit no problem. I like the stop on the shift lever in first & fifth. Energy One clutch, neutral super easy to find. Wish I had the coin to backcut those gears. Someday.
I agree with you JW, like costing up to a stop light and a 2nd gear tap into neutral.

Edit: "The latest model 5 speed shift drum will work fine with the earlier gearsets."
I didn't know that, thanks.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Dan89flstc

The latest model 5 speed shift drum will work fine with the earlier gearsets.

You will also need to change to the latest shift pawl/shaft, and also you will need to replace the shift shaft bushing in the case.

This is the setup I have on my `89 Softail, shifting feels much more precise, but I have never tried getting into neutral from 2nd gear.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

rageglide

Semi old post... but I've run a Baker drum in my '94 softail for close to 20 yrs and it drops into neutral from 2nd.  Was cheap upgrade back then, not sure about now.  new pillow blocks and a new drum.   Love it.

K4FXD

Heck sometimes I can get neutral when the motor is running.  :hyst:

I know no help  :soda:
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Hossamania

I never could get from 2nd to neutral on my '95 Heritage, but didn't worry about it too much either.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

moose

why would you want neutral sitting at a light    what if you have to get out of the way real fast  that ASSumes that you have left your self a way out
Moose aka Glenn-

JW113

Not a deal breaker by any stretch, just an annoyance because all of my other scoots easily drop into neutral except this one. I took a look at what it would take to switch the TC parts needed into the Evo trans, pretty expensive. So I think the reality is buy a Ultima 6 speed for my RK and use it's 5speed guts in the Evo, or like Bob suggested, go Baker.

-JW

JW113

I always sit at a light in neutral. Why wear out the clutch release bearing? You'd be amazed how fast I can drop it to 1st & go, although in the past 50ish years of riding, never had a situation where I "had" to do that.

-JW

turboprop

Quote from: JW113 on May 20, 2018, 10:49:46 AM
One thing that drives me nuts with the Evo 5 speed is that it is nearly impossible to shift from 2nd to neutral. Older BT 4 speed, XL 4 speed, even TC 5 speed, no problem they all just snick right into neutral from 2nd with a slight bit of pressure on the level. Evo 5sp, no way, jumps straight to 1st. When I had my '91 apart fixing a broken shifter pawl spring, I kind of remember why this is. Seems the way the dentents are cut into the drum it just skips over the neutral detent.

Anyway... I want to fix this. Question: will the TC 5 speed shift drum fit into a Evo 5 speed? If not, then does the Baker smooth shift kit allow you to get into neutral from 2nd?

thanks,
JW

Yes, the newer ('02 and up) TC five speed stuff will bolt into any five speed case. I have done this many times. The drums are pretty much the same up to '01. The '02 and up drum and pawl are great upgrades. I prefer them over the Baker units (I know, blasphemy). Even took a Baker drum out of my red FXR to put in the newer TC stuff.

The '02 drum, pillow blocks, pawl and pawl case bushing have to be replaced together, the pawl set screw can also be replaced with the new fixed position type. The original five speed top cover and neutral sensor can be retained but will indicate neutral in neutral and fifth gear.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tomfiii

The later twinkie cover has the neutral switch offset slightly ,so no neutral light in 5th.

Deye76

"neutral sensor can be retained but will indicate neutral in neutral and fifth gear. "

:up: I don't mind the N light in 5th, with a larger motor in a FXR, I can be in 5th without trying or realizing, and risk a lugging situation.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

david lee

in what year did hd retify this. so what im reading a later model drum will fix this thanks

david lee

did you fix your problem jw 113

david lee

getting neutral from 2nd would be good but as said next to impossible but ive got used to getting neutral from 1st is quiet easy if done gently but thats on the trike

JW113

No arguement that getting into neutral from 1st is easy. My arguement is that it's totally unnecessary to have to go into 1st to get into neutral. My TC, Shovelhead, and Ironhead all snick right into neutral from 2nd, no problem at all. The Evo won't. Just pisses me off, ya know?

And no, have not done anything with it yet. I see a 5 speed gear set on Ebay, including shift drum, for $100. I pinged and asked what year, the response was "the guy told me it was from an 06". Okay......

Any suggestions on how to tell if this is REALLY a late TC 5 speed or not? Does the shift drum have some telltale signs that distinguishes it from the earlier version? Hate to throw a $100 bill in the garbage!

-JW